Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 770769 times)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1995 on: March 13, 2021, 05:24:49 PM »
]That's the MG5. There is an upgrade to the wheels available which may be the second image.

The second image is the Fiat Tipo. I'd really struggle to tell them apart.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1996 on: March 13, 2021, 05:59:54 PM »
You are right. I should have spotted the fuel filler cap.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1997 on: March 13, 2021, 06:17:35 PM »
The second image is the Fiat Tipo. I'd really struggle to tell them apart.

You could put a number of small estates side by side these days and you would be hard pressed to tell them apart.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #1998 on: March 13, 2021, 10:07:44 PM »
The current MG5 lacks pretty much any active safety features and hasn’t been NCAP tested.

The MG eZS can be had at a discount, and is a far better choice.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #1999 on: March 13, 2021, 10:14:30 PM »
These look near identical to me. Any ideas what they are?
That's the MG5. There is an upgrade to the wheels available which may be the second image.

Second image is a different car. Look at the panel joins, the crease down the side and the fuel filler cap. Like a lot of cars these days, they are superficially very similar, boringly so. When you look closely you can see quite a few differences. Is it perhaps Kia c apostrophe d?

EDIT: Whoops. Turned the page and more comments. Fiat Tipo it is. Instantly forgettable.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 10:16:22 PM by richardfrost »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2000 on: March 14, 2021, 11:53:16 AM »
The current MG5 lacks pretty much any active safety features and hasn’t been NCAP tested.
Honda Crosstar has not been Euro NCAP tested either. The only model tested was the Honda Jazz, 1.5 Hybrid 'Elegance', LHD.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2001 on: March 14, 2021, 12:05:56 PM »
Honda Crosstar has not been Euro NCAP tested either. The only model tested was the Honda Jazz, 1.5 Hybrid 'Elegance', LHD.
I think the Jazz test result is considered applicable to the Crosstar as it's essentially the same body with the same safety equipment. the Crosstar is slightly higher with a different shaped front end which could impact pedestrians differently but the theory is that the vehicle should automatically brake. The full test report is at https://cdn.euroncap.com/media/61420/euroncap-2020-honda-jazz-datasheet.pdf .
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #2002 on: March 14, 2021, 05:14:07 PM »
Exactly - the Jazz has been tested. The Crosstar is a trim level. The MG5 as a type hasn’t been tested

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2003 on: March 15, 2021, 05:54:08 PM »
So the latest is that some people are reporting thefts of their electric car charging cables for the metals they contain. Left plugged in outside they can go missing. I think the numbers are low but bound to increase.

Solve that one when a whole street is targeted after 2030.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2004 on: March 15, 2021, 06:01:04 PM »
The value of the metal in a cable is not worth the effort. You have to clean strip it (burning gets you a pittance from the metal dealer). But there again, some plooks will steal anything. Once they see what they get for it, they probably won't bother again.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2005 on: March 15, 2021, 06:11:48 PM »
The value of the metal in a cable is not worth the effort. You have to clean strip it (burning gets you a pittance from the metal dealer). But there again, some plooks will steal anything. Once they see what they get for it, they probably won't bother again.

At £200 a time and quicker than stealing a CAT - a quick snip with bolt cutters will deal with most padlocks.

https://www.businesstelegraph.co.uk/thieves-making-200-a-time-stealing-car-charging-cables-fleetpoint/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 06:27:47 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2006 on: March 15, 2021, 07:04:11 PM »
£200 is the price of a cable, not the value of scrap copper. For that price, you would have to have about 100 lb of clean copper. The current price of scrap copper is £4.8K to £5K PER TON.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2007 on: March 15, 2021, 09:32:17 PM »
The cables have a value much higher than scrap value, they will be sold as they are, people may even buy their own cable back....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2008 on: March 16, 2021, 04:14:05 AM »
They need to get this published 5 minute charging up and running because converting lampposts is going to be an expensive task and will allow a team of scrotes to 'do' a number of streets in a very short time.
Let's be careful out there !

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2009 on: March 16, 2021, 07:09:29 AM »
There are a number of rapid recharge/refill technologies under development. Some involve ways of recharging batteries at incredible speeds. Some involve charged pastes or liquids, others are based on vastly improved hydrogen fuel cell technology. I’m confident that in ten years time we will look back at the current electric car fuelling tech in the same way we look at the World War 2 cars running off gas stored in a bag on the roof. That is, as a short term expedient.

The problem is that the 2030 deadline is based on political expediency and aimed at making our countries and our politicians look good on the world stage. It is driving the too rapid development of immature technologies at a pace which suits commercial interests rather than allowing a true scientific and engineering approach to a global industry transformation.

There is not enough time to develop sustainable elegant solutions so we get short termism in designs. What we are saving in driving headlong to electric will be wasted when we need to shift again to the better solutions and discard all the half way house vehicle and infrastructure designs.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:11:19 AM by richardfrost »

Tags:

anything