Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 770909 times)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2475 on: December 13, 2021, 07:49:46 AM »
I've been really enjoying Fifth Gear Recharged. Nice to have a source of info on EVs that's got a positive attitude that evaluates them as cars. Exemplified by VBH's attitude to the Honda e

It seems they do rather well, not least I suspect because the torque character of an electric motor is actually suited to driving. Dare I say an internal combustion engine is not. To get one with enough torque to be fun you end up with so much excess power it will do dangerously high speeds. Then there's the ludicrous complexity with hundreds of parts sliding and reciprocating and vibrating.

Did anyone see the wacky prototype in the first show? It's covered in solar cells and they reckon it'll pick up about 15 miles of charge a day even in Germany. That might work for me as I don't have off street parking. Plus the car is a practical supermini body not unlike a Jazz. Be a couple of years before there's a right hand drive version.

I hope we may be getting to the point where there's more to be said about EVs than range anxiety and complaining about charging infrastructure. Rather highlighted to me when the person on the checkout in a supermarket the other day was saying - EV's are great, just get one. I wish I'd asked which they had... Me want.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2476 on: December 13, 2021, 07:59:50 AM »
Solar power in Northern Europe OK between April and September,  except when cloud cover.  Solar between October and March - useless,  look how solar hugs the X axis of the graph on gridwatch ( like wind often does )...  Solar is OK in a desert on the equator..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #2477 on: December 13, 2021, 10:20:08 AM »
I wonder if fans of EV forget where the energy comes from. Drivers of an EV should not be environment guilt free.
Neil Ives

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2478 on: December 13, 2021, 10:25:33 AM »
The car in question just used solar, when the sun was shining, as a mini top-up. In no way was it meant to be as a means of recharging the vehicle,
Copenhagen's International School generates 300-megawatt hours of energy per year from their solar panels. Though energy production decreases with increasingly dense cloud cover, panels continue working to a greater capacity than one may expect. The good news is that even when covered with snow, solar panels can generate electricity.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2479 on: December 13, 2021, 10:32:51 AM »
Personally, it doesn't trouble me where the energy for an EV comes from. They could be burning tigers to generate electricity. I want an EV for the simplicity and the driving experience, not as a means of reducing global warming.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2480 on: December 13, 2021, 10:33:50 PM »
The good news is that even when covered with snow, solar panels can generate electricity.
Please tell that to the panels on my roof. A thin layer of snow on them means zero output.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2481 on: December 14, 2021, 09:04:25 AM »
The good news is that even when covered with snow, solar panels can generate electricity.
Please tell that to the panels on my roof. A thin layer of snow on them means zero output.

I have noticed on gridwatch that the slightest, thinnest cloud cover and solar drops alarmingly.. One of our CCTV cameras is fed by a solar panel to keep battery topped up, I noticed after a few cloudy days the charge in the battery has dropped.. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2482 on: December 14, 2021, 09:20:22 AM »
At 9.19am it is cloudy and UK solar output is err 0.05GW.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2483 on: December 14, 2021, 10:21:17 AM »
At 9.19am it is cloudy and UK solar output is err 0.05GW.

With installed capacity of about 25GW wind and 14GW solar in UK we rarely see more than 4GW solar and 12GW wind,  the problem with renewables is 'intermittency' - and grid level storage,  even for a few hours is horrendously expensive..  Solar in UK is pretty useless for 6 months of the year,  and even in high summer only good for 8 to 9 hours a day,  and even then cloud massively reduces output.   Better output could be had from solar if the panels followed the suns path,  but that would be very expensive,  so we are stuck with a hump at midday and dropping off quite sharply either side ( a sine wave shape ) - the attractive thing about solar for the people who own and install the farms are the subsidies... and who pays for them ?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2484 on: December 14, 2021, 03:34:22 PM »
Sobering thought from an article,  which mentions that China is presently buying all the coal it can get coal from many countries... Of course China will happily sell electric vehicles, but as for decarbonising its economy anytime soon, maybe not.

"For President Xi, the decarbonisation agenda is just a very easy way to get the West to weaken itself. He will make all the right noises, but nothing more."
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 03:36:11 PM by culzean »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2485 on: December 14, 2021, 03:54:04 PM »
Sobering thought from an article,  which mentions that China is presently buying all the coal it can get coal from many countries... Of course China will happily sell electric vehicles, but as for decarbonising its economy anytime soon, maybe not.

"For President Xi, the decarbonisation agenda is just a very easy way to get the West to weaken itself. He will make all the right noises, but nothing more."

It is a sobering thought, which only makes sense if you have a deep distrust of China, which I accept some people do. For me, I believe Putin and Xi are mainly aiming to defend their own nations, but there strategy does involve attempting to destabilise others. Promising not to build any more coal fired power stations outside China seems, on the face of it, a good thing. But there is no promise not to build any more within China. So it strengthens their short term position in terms of having a stable supply of energy. A very trick one to call and requires a lot of trust in them to eventually work towards their 2060 target. By which time China will have a different leader.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2486 on: December 16, 2021, 07:42:51 AM »
From yesterday’s Tortoise.com:

“Toyota’s big bet
Toyota says it will spend $35 billion retooling factories and redesigning cars so that by 2030 it’s producing 30 fully electric models. It’s hard to overstate what a capitulation this is to the all-battery approach Tesla has popularised on the other side of the Pacific. Toyota was an early adopter of hybrid tech in its Priuses. It has been fascinated for decades by fuel cells and was the first big manufacturer to bring a fuel cell car to market. But it has been conspicuously and deliberately slow to invest in all-battery cars, and now it’s admitting that was the wrong call. If you can’t hear Elon Musk yelling “I told you so” that’s because you’re not in the room or he doesn’t feel the need. But he has sneered at hybrids as unnecessarily complicated ever since his first roadster stunned the critics 13 years ago. The world’s biggest car maker (Toyota) has now joined the world’s second-biggest car maker (VW) in officially playing catch-up.”

Perhaps not surprising given that anything with an ICE - including hybrids - are being legislated out of existence. More surprising though is that Honda are introducing more hybrids just as their rivals are getting out.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2487 on: December 16, 2021, 09:24:14 AM »
From yesterday’s Tortoise.com:

“Toyota’s big bet
Toyota says it will spend $35 billion retooling factories and redesigning cars so that by 2030 it’s producing 30 fully electric models. It’s hard to overstate what a capitulation this is to the all-battery approach Tesla has popularised on the other side of the Pacific. Toyota was an early adopter of hybrid tech in its Priuses. It has been fascinated for decades by fuel cells and was the first big manufacturer to bring a fuel cell car to market. But it has been conspicuously and deliberately slow to invest in all-battery cars, and now it’s admitting that was the wrong call. If you can’t hear Elon Musk yelling “I told you so” that’s because you’re not in the room or he doesn’t feel the need. But he has sneered at hybrids as unnecessarily complicated ever since his first roadster stunned the critics 13 years ago. The world’s biggest car maker (Toyota) has now joined the world’s second-biggest car maker (VW) in officially playing catch-up.”

Perhaps not surprising given that anything with an ICE - including hybrids - are being legislated out of existence. More surprising though is that Honda are introducing more hybrids just as their rivals are getting out.

This is a triumph of stupid legislation over good engineering and common sense... not Musk. 

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2488 on: December 16, 2021, 10:26:25 AM »
EVs will be a success until countries screw up their electricity production and end up with an overdependence on electricity.

A dark calm spell ## such as we are having now in the middle of a cold winter leading to blackouts, failure of home heating and EVs stranded without charge will change attitudes  . The resulting court cases over deaths could last decades.
The UK is going merrily along that course.

## or a major Icelandic volcanic eruption lasting for weeks. But that could never happen surely? errr....

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2489 on: December 16, 2021, 05:50:14 PM »
Here's s couple of graphics that summarise the situation.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: