Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 769418 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1365 on: January 27, 2020, 11:00:19 AM »
I was on at my wife to learn to drive on the automatics I had. My thoughts were she could get a restricted licence and once she was happy driving, she could upgrade to a manual. She never got past the application form stage.
She had taken lessons when much younger, but never got as far as the test. I kept warning her that it would be "shut eye with a bang" once I go and she has to bus everywhere. Anyway, she has left it a bit late now so will need to keep her bus pass to hand!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1366 on: January 27, 2020, 11:26:00 AM »
I was on at my wife to learn to drive on the automatics I had. My thoughts were she could get a restricted licence and once she was happy driving, she could upgrade to a manual. She never got past the application form stage.
She had taken lessons when much younger, but never got as far as the test.

Mother-in-law is well into her 70s and is learning to drive an auto again. She failed her first and only manual test on something silly decades ago, then gave up. She's now been forced to have another go at it, as the father-in-law, who did all the driving, is now disabled after a brain haemorrage and they are pretty stuck without a car where they are.

So, it can be done, but to be honest, I think she's got some bottle to take it on - I'm not sure I would like to be learning in today's traffic.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #1367 on: January 27, 2020, 01:52:59 PM »

I don't really fancy a Chinese made car

If your Jazz was 18 months/2 yrs newer it would have been Chinese made.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1368 on: January 27, 2020, 10:24:28 PM »
Part 2 of Maddie's adventures with her new EV (and even if you are not interested in an electric cars, Maddie is delightful).

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #1369 on: January 28, 2020, 12:26:53 PM »
Yes, I think I'm in love with Maddie as well.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1370 on: February 02, 2020, 01:02:59 PM »
Part 3 available now.

I have been having a look round for local chargers as I am considering going EV sooner than later. The local multi storey, about 200 yards from me, has chargers free to use (your parking fee covers the cost). Through the week it costs £2.20 for two hours, which is a reasonable price for a top up, but I was in the car park today and the Sunday price is £1.10 for three hours. None of the chargers were in use today (yes, they were all working), but even if it meant getting there before the shops open, it is still no hardship. I reckon a three hour charge, on a Sunday morning, would probably cover my weekly mileage. Going to have a look at a 64 plate Nissan Leaf, for sale locally. 35,000 miles and £9,300.
It is a black Tekna 24 kWh.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:30:40 AM by Jocko »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1371 on: February 03, 2020, 01:52:08 PM »
Went and had a good look at the Leaf and took it for a test drive. It is a beautiful little car (not that little compared to the Jazz) with all the bells and whistles. It even has heated leather seats. I checked everything worked and did the usual due diligence, checking service history (only had one so far but it is due another shortly), good tyres and the same all round (obviously been replaced fairly recently).
Drives beautifully. Quick off the mark, but once you get up there it is like driving any other car. Car is immaculate. Black, with black interior and diamond-cut alloys. Paid particular attention to the wheels and they are in good nick. Taking my other half to see it Wednesday afternoon. The salesman said he will charge it fully and I can go for a prolonged test run. I'll keep you informed.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1372 on: February 03, 2020, 02:39:13 PM »
comparison of 24Kwh vs 30Kwh Nissan Leaf

https://pushevs.com/2016/01/13/nissan-leaf-24-kwh-vs-30-kwh/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1373 on: February 03, 2020, 02:52:47 PM »
I read all that last night but the price difference between a 24kWh and a 30kWh is huge. It adds about 25% more to the price.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1374 on: February 03, 2020, 03:09:36 PM »
Some earlier Leaf had problems with rapid and abnormal tyre wear,  replacing the whole rear axle was the only fix. Also the tyres for Leaf are pretty pricey - especially with 17" rims.

https://www.speakev.com/threads/tyres-for-leaf-costs.29417/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1375 on: February 03, 2020, 04:02:00 PM »
It has 16" rims. Kwik Fit are currently selling Yokohama BluEarth, the same make I have on the Jazz, for £60.50 a pop.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1376 on: February 03, 2020, 09:51:08 PM »
The Tekna is a nice spec. My mate has a 24 kwh Tekna from 2014 and it's luxurious especially with the heated seats and steering wheel plus the ability to switch it on from your phone so the car is nice and toasty and de-iced when you get in (with home charging you can do this on the house electricity).

He reckons he can get a 100 miles out of his 24 kwh in the summer and a reliable 80 plus in the winter. I'm sure Jocko would match these figures with his economy skills.

I have heard, from more than one source, that the 24 kwh battery is a bit more robust than the 30 kwh with tales that the latter has lost capacity more quickly. Worth looking on SpeakEV for more details.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1377 on: February 04, 2020, 08:37:06 AM »
I see the government have announced that they are bringing the cut off date for selling diesel, petrol and hybrid cars forward to 2035. 15 years. It's not that far away. I remember 15 years ago. It was yesterday!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51366123

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1378 on: February 04, 2020, 09:58:52 AM »
Yes - I have almost certainly just bought my last ever ICE car. At my advanced age it's a matter of whether I will need another vehicle but one thing has changed for me. My son in law - an electrician - looked at where our consumer unit was located and it's behind our front door which happens to be at the side of our bungalow. There is a 30 foot distance from it to the front of the house. He recommended that an armoured cable be run along the side of the property so that the charging unit can be located on the front wall. To avoid a trip hazard, he recommended paving over part of the front garden so the car could be driven up to the wall where the charger was mounted.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that I have changed from someone who would want to do all their charging at home to someone who would prefer to charge up commercially at, say a supermarket, and get 200 to 300 miles whilst I did my shopping.

It will be interesting to see how quickly car manufacturers start to phase out the ICE. I can't imagine them wanting to be making any ICE car more than 5 years before the ban. Will ICE cars become worthless? You can see why the ownership model, already declining, may well have truly had its day.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #1379 on: February 04, 2020, 11:51:59 AM »
The rest of the world will keep butying IC cars.. It's only the EU.. The US could not give a....

Tags: