Author Topic: Metal clapping noise from frontend  (Read 1114 times)

wlizhi

• Registered Member
Metal clapping noise from frontend
« on: June 01, 2020, 10:02:10 PM »
hi all,

i have 05 se sport and recently start making metal clapping noise from the front end, i have check what i can and is running out idea now, wonder you guys can help me

only make noise when is in forwarding motion under load and on every gear at around 1k to 2k rpm
doesn't make any noise when is in stationary or with no acceleration at any road condition, so it seems only happen when accelerating
and only when car is warm up, no noise with cold engine

i have checked the suspension and exhaust, no lose or broken bit. is quite hard to identify where the noise from as only happen in motion, engine seem good with no broken mounting but i have limited knowledge on that so anything would help.  cheers
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 10:04:47 PM by wlizhi »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Metal clapping noise from frontend
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 11:15:37 PM »
It could be the gearbox input bearing. It's a common problem with MK1 Jazz.

wlizhi

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 12:25:51 PM »
Hi thanks reply.  Dont know what bad input bearing sound like, recorded sound click if you or someone can confirm that.  Is Google recorder click, recorded while car in station at first gear biting point.http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5ed636d4891ed/Tuesday%20at%2012-07.m4a

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 12:27:33 PM »
Sorry. Asks to download. I don't do that.

wlizhi

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 12:37:58 PM »
Ok, uploaded to YouTube

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 01:16:25 PM »
Hard to tell, but it sounds light and metallic.

Could be something silly like something loose that is resonating under load, but if it's silent when cold, it could be on the edge of pinking. If you think it sounds like engine pinking, try 97 RON, see if it goes away.

Input shaft bearing normally a continuous whine that rises with engine speed, particularly in lower gears and under load.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 01:41:14 PM »
Could be pinking - have you any idea if rear 4 spark plugs have been changed ? many garages do not know about rear 4 plugs and only change front 4,  this can cause all sorts of problems, mainly hesitation but also maybe pinking due to incomplete combustion.  Try the car uphill in a fairly high gear ( so that engine has to labour about 2000 revs,  if it is going to pink,  that is when it will happen).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

wlizhi

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 01:56:00 PM »
Spark plug changed couple years ago with receipt show 8x but haven't actually check it, i should do that and will try out better fuel too been using cheap Asda past year

Since now found out can reproduce the noise on stationary and easing lockdown, probably can get friend over to help pin point the noise source.

Cheers for all advise guys

Tags: