Author Topic: Gearbox shot.  (Read 17497 times)

Hondachap

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honnda Jazz
Re: Gearbox shot.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 08:30:56 PM »
I'll have to discuss things with my mechanic. If I am going to the bother of removing the gearbox I'd like to just strip it and rebuild it ourselves. I've rebuilt a couple of gearboxes in the past. It is just the time that I cannot really afford. Being without a car is an issue.
I dropped mine off in morning got back by dinner was going to do it self but this was less hassle for the money I bought clutch they fitted it for free 
thanks but too far for me to travel

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
which area are you in
I took it to Wakefield was hour drive but worth it

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Hondachap

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 08:35:06 PM »
Question for people in the know
would a 2002 1.4 Gearbox be compatible for a 1.2 2007 Jazz
thanks in advance

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 10:15:34 PM »
Decided to give the CVT a miss. Didn't even go and try it. I want to stick with the 1.2 litre engine, and it is not available with the CVT (as I have only just discovered).

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 11:57:28 PM »
Decided to give the CVT a miss. Didn't even go and try it. I want to stick with the 1.2 litre engine, and it is not available with the CVT (as I have only just discovered).
Didn't know that either. With a 1.4 litre you don't get the MPG numbers you now get with your 1.2, i think. ;)

I sometimes read here there are plenty Jazzes in the UK to choose from, i am sure you will find a nice one. :)

guest1372

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 12:33:15 PM »
would a 2002 1.4 Gearbox be compatible for a 1.2 2007 Jazz
Yes, there are serial numbers:  SWLM-xxxxxxxx is for the GD manual gearbox
--
TG

Hondachap

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 05:33:08 PM »
Thanks for info T G

u587162

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport CVT
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 11:42:17 PM »
Jocko,

I have an exact same car as you even the same colour - blue pearl.  I bought mine 2nd hand from a garage last Dec and after getting the EGR valve removed and cleaned out by the AA (had lots of carbon in it and car kept stalling at lights or junction), it seems to have done the trick except now I get the same click you mentioned between 20-25 mph and at about 2000 rpm.  It is as if the car jerks forward.

Other problem I have is that the car judders badly ever since I bought it when I setoff in first gear, otherwise it is fine.

I dont know whether I should just sell it, trade it in or repair it.

Any ideas of what is wrong with it and how much it might cost?  I live in NW London.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 07:54:33 AM »
Other problem I have is that the car judders badly ever since I bought it when I setoff in first gear, otherwise it is fine.

Is this clutch judder ?  normally happens in first gear, this can be pretty much cured normally by leaving handbrake on and deliberately slipping clutch while car a standstill to give the clutch plate a good warming up and remove any glazing from plate.  If that does not improve things it may be that clutch plate springs are weakened or broken, or maybe dodgy engine or gearbox mount rubber.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 08:08:11 AM »
I don't feel juddering. The best way to describe what my gearbox is like is to say that 1st, 2nd, and now 3rd, all sound like reverse. The clicking I got seems to go away if I let go of the gear lever between changes (this suggests a selector/ synchomesh issue). From what I have read, the gearbox will run forever like that, just noisy. I have seen the full Honda bearing kit for under £300, but I think I will just play the radio louder!

guest1372

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 12:38:13 PM »
As mentioned elsewhere, judder in CVT gearboxes just means that the CVT-F fluid is overdue replacement.  A flush and refill (i.e. drain / fill / drain / fill with new fluid) is recommended but you can leave it a week or so between each fill, a bit like soaking a dish overnight, although a garage will do this in one operation.  If the judder is cured shortly after the first fill you could delay the refill.  It's likely that second hand cars have skipped this bit of regular servicing.

4 litres (3.6 needed) for each refill of Honda CVT-F is not expensive, but the access is a bit awkward.  You should not use any other fluid such as regular automatic transmission fluid.

u587162

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport CVT
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2017, 02:50:29 PM »
Is it normal to replace the oil in any car that has an automatic gear box or is this something specific to this model car and the CVT?

For my own understanding, how does replacing this oil actually affect the gearbox mechanism to create this juddering noise?

Thanks.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 03:21:44 PM »
Is it normal to replace the oil in any car that has an automatic gear box or is this something specific to this model car and the CVT?

For my own understanding, how does replacing this oil actually affect the gearbox mechanism to create this juddering noise?

Thanks.

Every auto gearbox has its own formulation of fluid to suit the gearbox,  they are a fine blend of friction (lubrication) and lack of friction to suit the materials used in the auto box - it is one of the cases where to use anything other than OEM fluid is a big mistake.  There are additives that can be added to fluid on a short term basis to 'restore' some areas of the box that may have become glazed or ridged,  TG knows all about these ..............  just search 'CVT' on this forum and a load of information will come up on this subject.

Honda recently reduced the CVT fluid change period down to every 24 months I think.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 03:22:09 PM »
The issue is Honda CVT related. The oil provides the "clutch" for the automatic transmission (just as the fluid does in a torque converter in a Borg Warner style AT). As it gets dirty it causes the "clutch" to grab.

guest1372

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 03:45:29 PM »
There are additives that can be added to fluid on a short term basis to 'restore' some areas of the box that may have become glazed or ridged,  TG knows all about these .............. 
That's the sub £20 'just about to sell the car' fix, longevity is suspect.
--
TG

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2017, 05:00:10 PM »
Gearbox is graunching in every gear by 5th now. I know they say it will go on like that for ever, but I doubt mine has long to go. The only consolation is 3rd and 4th isn't too bad when under full load, just on a light throttle.
I think the  CVT is back in the frame as I have discovered that the later 1.4 models fall into the same road tax bracket as my 1.2 (cheaper road tax was a deciding factor in going for a 1.2 in the first place).

Tags:

anything