Author Topic: Full size spare wheel 2014 EX CVT  (Read 12590 times)

guest4871

Full size spare wheel 2014 EX CVT
« on: July 17, 2014, 04:57:35 PM »
Although I have been an avid reader of this excellent forum for a while and have been a long standing Honda owner (first Civic was purchased in 1979), I have not yet been able to add much more to the outstanding contributions I see here.

But I would like some help……

I have a 2014 1.4 EX CVT – GG6. Since purchasing the car new in March, I have been struggling to find a full size steel spare wheel to put in the wheel well in the car. Honda seems to have ceased listing a full size spare wheel for my particular model.

One Honda dealer is offering a Honda full size steel spare wheel which fits both 15” and 16” wheel models. Two other Honda dealers, working from the parts listings from Honda, offer only the space saver. I am told that the full size wheel does not fit the boot of my model.

This I could believe… but I find difficult to understand as the wheel in question, a 15” wheel fitted with a 175 65 R 15 tyre seems to fit other Jazz models. I have measured the space and it seems to me to be adequate.

I wonder if this is a model specific thing. This model has the “flexible boot floor” with the “hanging basket”, sometimes called the Two Tier Boot System. I wonder if the problem is that this “flexible boot floor” panel is sufficiently thick that the height in the spare wheel well is reduced and thus, with a full size wheel in the wheel well, the boot floor will not lie flat on top of the spare or is it just that a small hole is required in the floor carpet to insert the securing clamp (or do you remove the floor carpet entirely).

Please, if someone has a similar 1.4 EX CVT – GG6 model (or even just the “hanging basket” Two Tier Boot System) and a full size 15” steel wheel with a 175 65 R 15 tyre in the boot well, could you explain if/ how all this works?

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
Re: Full size spare wheel 2014 EX CVT
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 05:44:02 PM »
My 2012 1.4 es has a full size alloy wheel,175 -65 - 15 as a spare, it fits under the floor , but you can't get much in the hanging basket.
Why not practice a wheel change with your wheels, and while the wheel is off try and see if it fits in your boot- that's the only way you can be sure.

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 05:53:34 PM »
Thanks for your reassurance.

After more digging I also came across this earlier topic which includes pictures too!

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=2364.msg10369#msg10369

Also I had this response from a well known internet Honda dealer parts supplier in the North West based on my VIN:

"Thank you for your enquiry, the Dealer is correct that Honda do not list a full size wheel option, this is a line that we stock as a result of customer demand. Basically when you buy the full size spare wheel from us, you get a Brand New Genuine Honda Jazz Steel Wheel, which we have a brand new Toyo Tyre fitted to and a bolt and anchor plate supplied. We can confirm this wheel fits under the carpet floor and the carpet floor folds back down flush, and is the obvious choice next to the Spacesaver wheel which has both speed and longevity restrictions."

I will be looking for something suitable from mytyres for about £80- 85 wheel tyre fitted and delivered. Better that a spacesaver at about £190.

Many thanks for the inspiration. I'd virtually given up.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »
The boot space will take 16" wheel & 185 55 16 tyre -  I submitted the pics ,
mytyres are tried & tested .
They can supply single steel wheels & tyres.

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 04:13:43 PM »
Success. I purchased a 175 65 R 15 84H tyre and 15” steel wheel from mytyres and it fits fine with the flexible boot floor flat. The hanging basket does not fully hang down but that’s fine and is very useable. The only point where the flexible boot floor does not fit is when it is raised and folded vertically! The rear retaining clip does not quite sit in the slot. The rubber on the tyre sits a little too high but only on the off side. This is a pretty esoteric setting. I don’t think this setting would generally be used anyway and I cannot see that I would use it. So that is fine too! I have left the carpet and the under carpet polystyrene filler in place, so without those it may even fit perfectly.

I purchased the wheel and fitted tyre through mytyres.co.uk which was also fine although I won’t buy a set of tyres from them. Firstly, their prices change daily. When I searched the set was £83.50 delivered, the next day I purchased at £89.00 (+ 6.5%), the following day they were 85.30. My luck! You can get cash back ordering through topcashback.co.uk Communication with mytyres is by template response which is underwhelming! The main thing that concerned me is that they delivered a higher spec than I wished. I ordered 175 65 R 84 H. They delivered 88 H XL which is a much higher Load Rating. OK for this purpose. I wouldn’t like to risk this variation for a regular set of tyres.

So the result is a full size spare and clamp (ex Honda) for £105 rather than a space saver from Honda for £190. I know this cost is more than the Rover 25 space saver route but the tyre is new (date code 2114) rather than an old (year 2002) tyre probably past its useful life now and certainly by when I plan to sell the car in 10 years!. Also the rolling circumference with the full size steel wheel is exact rather the Rover space saver which is a little small.

To round it off, I purchased an excellent wheel bag from http://www.autogas-lpg.co.uk/37-spare-wheel-bag-lpg for +/- £10 delivered (or try dkmotors1 on ebay) into which I placed the spare and into which I can place the dirty tyre if/ when taken off the car. Also plenty of space for storing those important bits and piece!

Many thanks to everyone for your input.

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »
I'm glad you've found what you wanted, I have had a 15" steel wheel from a BMW MINI with a 175/65 15 tyre in the boot of my 2011 EX CVT for ages.
I had it as I'd had a BMW MINI Cooper before the Jazz and the wheel are the same PCD and ET so a direct fit, my 'winter wheels' were the ones that I used on the MINI.
I now have a set of Honda 15" and a set of tyres alloys ready for this coming winter.

2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 09:53:52 PM »
http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

here is a good site for comparing effect of sizes of tyres (will your speedometer read the same if you change rims for winter tyres and  fit a 175/65R15 instead of a 185/55R16 for example)
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »
My wife has just got herself a 2012 1.4 Jazz Si to replace her trusty 1.4 GD which has never let her down in 7 years.

When I found out it didn't have a spare I decided to see what mytyres.com had in the way of winter tyres on steel rims instead of paying good money for a fiddly spacesaver spare,  why not have a full sized spare from a set of winter tyres.   The Si has 185/55 R16 tyres,  turns out that the Nokian 175/65 R15 tyres on steel rims are a perfect fit  (and same outside diameter) , and the domed nuts from alloy wheels are useable on the steel wheels. The wheel and tyre fits perfectly in wheel well.

details below for any one interested -  I know the Jazz is good in snow anyway, with these on it should be unstoppable.

Item No.: SKWi-7805--D-117040
Item: Complete Set of Wheels Honda JAZZ 1.4 GG 6 1339ccm 73 kW 04.2011-  Steel wheels with winter tyres (LK 4 x 100.00 x 56.00) mit Nokian WR D3  BSW 175/65 R15 84T
Quantity: 4
unit price £82.80 + £9.90 delivery each wheel  = £370

delivered in 3 days from order
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:52:35 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest3721

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 09:55:01 AM »
Not sure if you are interested but I have an unused space saver to fit 2009 - Jazz its on ebay but I can finish if anyone is interested £39.99 + carriage.

Regards Dave

Bentleymop

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Metallic Deep Purple 1.4 EX
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 08:45:35 PM »
If it`s still available I`m very interested.

Mike
If it moves,Funk IT !!!

guest3721

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 08:08:13 AM »
Mike, I have sent you a pm as its still available.

Regards Dave

guest3721

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 11:10:07 AM »
This space saver is now sold, thanks very much.

Dave

Tags: