Author Topic: driving in the dark  (Read 3271 times)

guest2916

driving in the dark
« on: January 15, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »
Hi all maybe its just me but i have noticed that whilst sitting in the passenger seat that the front lights whilst driving in the dark are not as bright, with some of the lighting rather high up as if in the sky lol.
My wife wont put the lights on to full beam if you could call it that? as she dosnt want to dazzle other drivers witch i can understand but when other cars are coming towards on country roads us i can hardly see the road in front.
I noticed that there is a setting for the angle i think ? of the lights from one two three ect is there an allround setting cheers for any info thanks frank.

guest869

• Topic Starter
Re: driving in the dark
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:04:38 PM »
I found my lights too low even on the highest setting on the dial. (If you need to remember which way to turn the dial, wind it up to move the lights up)

So I adjusted my lights up under the bonnet, very easy to do if you have a long screwdriver.

Another option is higher wattage bulbs (which I have used in other cars to great effect) or a HID conversion which I have no experience of.

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 07:04:52 PM »
 ;D

Hi yeah there is the setting for the front headlight 1 to 5, the number corresponds to the height angle it focuses, the standard should be one(1) with one passenger on front.  It all depends on the weight of the the car carrying say the how many passengers aboard and or thing being carried on the boot.  Im sure it is in the owners manual... ;D
There are really lots of inconsiderate drivers down the road nowadays...

guest1844

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 10:34:43 PM »
If they're pointing up to the sky sounds like they're out of alignment. If you've had wee car park nudge on the front bumper you can knock them out without any obvious sign of damage.

The angle setting wheel on the dashboard points them down more.

Any MOT garage can set them up for you (they shine the lights on a little machine). Or you can adjust them yourself by shining them on a wall and opening the bonnet and using a long screwdriver to adjust the adjusters. More than likely at the next MOT you'll get picked up on it.
My local petrol forecourt has a useful flat carpark with handy wall adjacent...

guest2916

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 12:14:57 PM »
Hi i got the problem solved i think . The lights were set at number 3 ( i think thats the highest as in hight setting) I turned the dial two 0 and they seem to be a lot better now thanks guys.  ;)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 08:53:20 PM »
Another option is higher wattage bulbs (which I have used in other cars to great effect) or a HID conversion which I have no experience of.

HID conversions are illegal in UK, unless the car was built with HID or the headlamp units are completely changed for a  CE marked HID headlight assembly.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 06:06:23 AM »

HID conversions are illegal in UK, unless the car was built with HID or the headlamp units are completely changed for a  CE marked HID headlight assembly.

Does that apply to cars of all ages or just after a certain date such as 1972?

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 09:29:45 AM »
From what I've read on the VOSA site HID conversions must comply with a number of items including self-levelling; headlamp cleaning/washing; appropriate headlamp lenses; and a CE mark.
Because the bulb produces light at a different point standard lenses cannot focus it correctly.
Conversion sets that do not include new lenses are most certainly illegal!

Tags: