Author Topic: Repair to outside rear view mirror 2005 Jazz  (Read 3704 times)

guest2990

Repair to outside rear view mirror 2005 Jazz
« on: January 02, 2012, 09:36:01 PM »
Hi!

I'm new to this forum, but have had a 1.4 Jazz since new in 2005. Today, some kind soul backed into the car , dented the driver's door and broke off the outside rear view mirror.

So, the mirror is now hanging loose ( ...and probably dangerously...) and is only attached by the electrical wiring.  :(

Any suggestions about how to fix it,  quickly ...? as I'm supposed to be driving it ~200 miles tomorrow!

Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Repair to outside rear view mirror 2005 Jazz
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:07:05 PM »
Ouch !

Quick fix I think the best bet is Araldite, its brilliant at fixing stuff like that.

For a replacement unit try Ebay, I bought one for my lads Corsa for £30 after someone decided to kick the mirror off, snapping in a similar place to yours.

Ozzie

guest2990

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:16:13 PM »
Ozzie,

Yup,  you're right.  Bought a pack of Araldite Rapid, (... cures in ~15 minutes),  stuck a big blob of it to both sides of the broken plastic mirror support and so far, it has done the job.

What amazes me, is that the repeater indicator light still works AND the electric motor to drive / adjust the mirror works too!

So, thanks for the suggestion.  :) It has allowed me to drive the car short distances without the police interfering.

The car is being removed tomorrow for the rest of the damage to be repaired, I hope.

Pat Jeater

guest3009

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 08:59:12 PM »
I snapped off my nearside mirror in a constricted Sainsbury underground car park and, not thinking of Araldite, simply snipped through the (8) wires and took it to our Honda dealer to mend/replace. Cost best part of £300. It's all the wiring to heat, adjust, fold in, etc. I'll remember Araldite next time. Mind you I have the mirror in its housing on the shelf, should I crack one in future; small compensation!
Frank

Tags:

anything