Poll

Have you experienced a flat 12 volt battery with your Mk 4.

Yes.
6 (11.1%)
Yes, but I think it was my own fault.
4 (7.4%)
No.
44 (81.5%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Have you experienced a flat 12 volt battery with your Mk 4.  (Read 4373 times)

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
Re: Have you experienced a flat 12 volt battery with your Mk 4.
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2023, 01:10:09 PM »
Surely there must be an easy way for a microprocessor controlled battery test to identify a faulty cell?

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2023, 03:43:40 PM »
Had to call out Honda Assist (AA) today as battery completely flat. He got car started with jump leads but all warning lights on and insistent bong.  Took it for a little run. All warning lights remained on as well as the bong. Connected his computer but unable to diagnose fault so arranged to follow me to local Honda Dealer (17 miles away).  After a couple of miles warning lights and bong stopped and all appeared normal.  Continued in convoy for 12 miles without incident. AA man then left and I took car for a 25 mile run.  All OK but am unable to connect iPhone via bluetooth, only with USB, so will need to look into this.  For ref, car is one year old with 6100 miles.  Stood unused in garage for two weeks, last journey was a 230 miles run with just one coffee stop.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2023, 04:05:02 PM »
Keep an eye on it. If like a previous car of mine, once the battery has gone completely flat it never recovers and will discharge again very rapidly.

Regarding wireless, I'd check in the engineering menu to see if Carplay wireless has been reverted to USB only after the headunit lost all power. There's a few posts here about getting into the menu via the 3 ringer salute.
Let's be careful out there !

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2023, 09:11:52 AM »
Had to call out Honda Assist (AA) today as battery completely flat. He got car started with jump leads but all warning lights on and insistent bong.  Took it for a little run. All warning lights remained on as well as the bong. Connected his computer but unable to diagnose fault so arranged to follow me to local Honda Dealer (17 miles away).  After a couple of miles warning lights and bong stopped and all appeared normal.  Continued in convoy for 12 miles without incident. AA man then left and I took car for a 25 mile run.  All OK but am unable to connect iPhone via bluetooth, only with USB, so will need to look into this.  For ref, car is one year old with 6100 miles.  Stood unused in garage for two weeks, last journey was a 230 miles run with just one coffee stop.
Did you put the parking brake on while standing in the garage, and do you leave the car unlocked? Usually a garage floor is completely flat so ok to leave the parking brake off. I also switch off the internal courtesy light as that consumes a few amps.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2023, 09:33:31 AM »
I think I've posted before, a Honda employee once told me that you should always double lock as the second lock shuts down more circuits that aren't required.

In my case I always double lock and never use the parking brake in my flat garage.

SebastianTR

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 4.0L/100km
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2023, 09:40:23 AM »
Hold down a second... Parking brake is we call it hand break right?
Jazz has an electric hand brake but is it consume power when everything is off?
Cheers!

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2023, 10:19:47 AM »
I think I've posted before, a Honda employee once told me that you should always double lock as the second lock shuts down more circuits that aren't required.

In my case I always double lock and never use the parking brake in my flat garage.

How do you 'double lock'?  No mention in the manual. 

I always use the parking brake in the garage else as pushing past it to reach stuff would easy move car.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2023, 10:30:16 AM »
...I press either the boot button, door handle ridges or in some cases the key fob close button - twice.
Once to lock then a second or so later press it again to double lock.
I'm usually getting something out of the boot so the boot button is my usual locking method.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2023, 11:20:20 AM »
After a couple of miles warning lights and bong stopped and all appeared normal.

That would probably have been because the battery had been flat and the system needs resetting by driving a short distance. as per the Owners Manual, you will have several system warnings.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2023, 12:33:41 PM »
How do you 'double lock'?  No mention in the manual. 

It's definitely mentioned in the manual, see page 183 Super Locking: https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-owners-manuals/_jcr_content/par1/textcolumnwithimagem_1653971839/textColumn/richtextdownload_90f/file.res/2021%20Jazz%20Owner%60s%20Manual.pdf

I always use the parking brake in the garage else as pushing past it to reach stuff would easy move car.

Try: the Jazz in the garage (or wherever on a flat surface), leave the car in "P" and parking brake NOT engaged.
Push or pull forward or backward and see how much the car will move...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2023, 01:02:04 PM »
Hold down a second... Parking brake is we call it hand break right?
Jazz has an electric hand brake but is it consume power when everything is off?
Yes parking brake is the hand brake.( Americans also call it the 'emergency brake'. ) As far as I know it only  uses electricity to put the brakes on using an electric motor  , and again to release it it  . But shouldnt use any electricity when the car is at rest when parked.   Otherwise the car could roll away if the battery went flat.   (Unlikely but just possible is they work like the brakes on a truck.   All their Brakes  are permanently held  ON using very powerful springs.  The electricity or compressed air is used to actively release the brakes while the truck is moving.  If the electricty or compressed air fails  the safety default is the brakes lock on due to the springs and cannot be released.   I doubt they would use this for a car.

I dont know the details but I believe there is a fail safe system incorporated as part of the ABS system  that in the VERY  unlikely event of that both the main brakes  and the handbrake electric servos fail at the same time the car can  still be brought to a  stop in an emergency using the hand brake switch   via some alternative hydraulics. 
But "BRAKE HOLD" may be different.  This keeps the brakes applied during a temporary stop in traffic   at the same pressure as when you pressed the brake pedal.   This may require constant electricity to keep the  pressure applied.   But Brake hold only works  when the car is powered up and could be driven.  If the driver gets out of the car the system would apply the handbrake. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

SebastianTR

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 4.0L/100km
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2023, 01:15:52 PM »
Brake hold is OK I know it. But I was suprised aboud parking brake. I mean all the people and user manual say always use your parking break especially when you park at sloped ground. My parking lot is crooked and always use parking breake.
We use the car almost every day but I don't wanna wake up to flat battery  :)
Cheers!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2023, 01:24:45 PM »
Are we 100% sure the parking brake causes voltage loss ?

I know the 2 red lights, dash and button do go out after a few minutes.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2023, 01:44:49 PM »
I think the reason Americans  often call the parking brake the 'emergency brake' ( often shortened to 'E brake')
is that in the days when almost everyone drove an automatic  the E brake was considered just that, an emergency way of stopping if the brakes failed.  Most would simply park in  "P" wthout a handbrake.

This may be ok on flat ground but not a good idea on a slope.    In P the car is typically held from moving by a small metal lug jamming onto some sort of slot.  If that  peg fails the car could  roll.

As stated I think any light on the handbrake goes off fairly quickly  and wouldn't affect battery parasitic drain much.  There are still  other systems running 24/7 that cannot  be switched off anyway
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2023, 06:12:11 PM »
Are we 100% sure the parking brake causes voltage loss ?

I know the 2 red lights, dash and button do go out after a few minutes.
I'm not 100% sure but often with this type of switch where it's switched momentarily there is a circuit monitoring the switch to see if any action needs to be taken, it's not a simple switch like the light in a house for example where there are just two positions and the current is either on or off.

The courtesy light is another example of this if left on standby, it's continually monitoring the door to see if it's been opened, only a very small current involved but if it's left for weeks it can mount up.

Tags: