Poll

Have you experienced a flat 12 volt battery with your Mk 4.

Yes.
7 (12.7%)
Yes, but I think it was my own fault.
4 (7.3%)
No.
44 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Have you experienced a flat 12 volt battery with your Mk 4.  (Read 4496 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Have you experienced a flat 12 volt battery with your Mk 4.
« on: January 23, 2023, 04:32:30 PM »
Let's try and clear this up once and for all.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Have you experienced a flat 12 volt battery with your Mk 4.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 04:43:12 PM »
Nope, use a CTEK if I don't use the car in 2 weeks.
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 04:58:59 PM »
No. And for 17 months and almost 13000 km. (8100 miles) it never saw an ("intelligent" or trickle) charger.
I must admit that the Jazz is usually kept in a frost-free garage when not in use.
I have never anxiously wondered whether it will start or not.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.  (Franklin D. Roosevelt)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 06:07:15 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Thingy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 05:05:13 PM »
Now the second winter for my Jazz. The car is parked in a parking area away from the house. During the winter the car is used once a week to drive 3.2 miles to Sainsburys early on a Friday, returning 45-60 minutes later. Only rarely to I go anywhere else. I have had no trouble with starting.

Jazzist

• Approved Member
  • The Jazzdriving Dutchman
  • My Honda: Jazz Executive 2021
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 05:19:00 PM »
Last year I had to turn on roadside assistance 2x because the 12 volt battery was empty. After checking by the Hondadealer, it turned out that the 12 volt battery was discharging because the GPS module continued to work after the ignition was switched off, resulting in a discharge rate of 100 mA. The problem has been solved by an update of the audio and navigation system. The 12 volt battery has also been replaced.
The Honda Forum unites the World.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 06:00:45 PM »
No, 14 months and 22.000km. Not used for 14 days maximum.

SebastianTR

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 4.0L/100km
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 06:38:35 AM »
Battery is variable according to usage and your life.

If your car 2 year old and you live in madrid and you didn't use your car for a month most probably your car will be work at first try.
On the other hand lets say your car 3 month old and you live in Iceland also it's winter. Your battery could end up in a week.

Batterys drains faster in cold you all probably know this. So If somebody have a issue with 12V battery that's probably owner fault or environmental effect.

I don't think (don't wanna believe actually) lets say 3-5 years old a car will have a battery problem.
Newer cars has LED, more stable electronic system, more stable other stuff thats draw energy
Manufacturers are making cars over 100 years. Our battery system maybe 30-40 years old. They have enough experience for this. They know what they are doing, they know what they are using.
Cheers!

Robsterboy

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 10:07:20 AM »
Have had a battery problem since just before it's first service. The battery went flat and my dealer advised I call Honda assistance. They (AA) tested the battery and their tester displayed 'replace battery'. Dealer wasn't interested - only recognised their own testing which said the battery was good. car stood for 4 days - battery flat - call AA - dealer says good battery, charged, 2 days later flat. Dealer says battery good charged again, flat again in 2 days. now back with dealer who wants to 'experience' the flat battery and says they cannot replace the battery as Honda would refuse saying the mileage is too low (950) Am having lots of Groundhog days. 

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 10:17:22 AM »
I think the possibility was suggested  on another thread that some cars might have have had a flat battery  for long enough during the long voyage from Japan and storage to  permanently damage the battery. 

This might explain at least some of the cases where  problems have occurred. (at time of writing 96% have NOT had any problem)  In some cases a new battery under warranty may solve the issue permanently.

I'm surprised Robsterboy's dealer is behaving the way they are. If the battery is ok there is some other parasitic discharge causing the problem. They should find and fix the cause . Maybe that's why they need the car back to monitor the battery.  But to be fair  maybe  Honda have realised some of the warranty replacments were due to owners only doing 950 miles between services and toughened their stance on replacing batteries if the battery rarely got a decent charge in service.  Does 'fair wear and tear' also extend to 'unfair'   lack of use? 

Low mileage infrequent users  should also bear in mind the  handbook states the  High voltage battery needs  at least  half an hour of continuous driving with discharge and recharge cycles  within a maximum of  3 months . If thats neglected the  very expensive HV battery may be damaged and may not be covered by the warranty due to driver 'negligence'  . Worth bearing in mind for infrequent low mileage users
. Its not enough just to run the car for half an hour on the driveway. It needs to be driven to go through charge and discharge cycles.

Also bear in mind that 12v batteries going flat can be a problem in ALL modern hi tech cars,, especially those that are permanently transmitting to keys, phone signals  internet etc., Even a 'normal' car  with a full sized starter  battery   can go from fully charged to fully discharged (and at risk of permanent battery damage) in as little as a month.  And may not start in as little as 2 weeks.

Low mileage users increasingly need to take precautions.   Bring back starting handles. ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 11:23:13 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 10:28:15 AM »
Have had a battery problem since just before it's first service.
.../...
Honda would refuse saying the mileage is too low (950)

That would mean driving your Jazz (on average) less than 3 miles per day?
Maybe that's why the battery died?
Oh... and find yourself a better dealer... :(

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2023, 10:35:19 AM »
I charge mine a couple of times in the winter with a trickle charge if my tester shows it as 'dead', I think it would start anyway but by giving it a good charge it should extend the life of the battery.

Guinness 2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Sunlight White
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2023, 11:10:50 AM »
What type/make of Battery Charger would you guys recommend?

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2023, 11:28:08 AM »
Have had a battery problem since just before it's first service.
.../...
Honda would refuse saying the mileage is too low (950)

That would mean driving your Jazz (on average) less than 3 miles per day?
Maybe that's why the battery died?
Oh... and find yourself a better dealer... :(

Or sell the car and go everywhere by taxi.  Quids in !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2023, 11:46:03 AM »
I think Robsterboy and all the other "low mileagers" (is that correct English...?) should keep in mind what our Lord Voltermore wrote:

Low mileage infrequent users  should also bear in mind the  handbook states the  High voltage battery needs  at least  half an hour of continuous driving with discharge and recharge cycles  within a maximum of  3 months . If thats neglected the  very expensive HV battery may be damaged and may not be covered by the warranty due to driver 'negligence'  . Worth bearing in mind for infrequent low mileage users
. Its not enough just to run the car for half an hour on the driveway. It needs to be driven to go through charge and discharge cycles.

SebastianTR

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 4.0L/100km
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2023, 12:26:58 PM »
I think the possibility was suggested  on another thread that some cars might have have had a flat battery  for long enough during the long voyage from Japan and storage to  permanently damage the battery. 

This might explain at least some of the cases where  problems have occurred. (at time of writing 96% have NOT had any problem)  In some cases a new battery under warranty may solve the issue permanently.

I'm surprised Robsterboy's dealer is behaving the way they are. If the battery is ok there is some other parasitic discharge causing the problem. They should find and fix the cause . Maybe that's why they need the car back to monitor the battery.  But to be fair  maybe  Honda have realised some of the warranty replacments were due to owners only doing 950 miles between services and toughened their stance on replacing batteries if the battery rarely got a decent charge in service.  Does 'fair wear and tear' also extend to 'unfair'   lack of use? 

Also bear in mind that 12v batteries going flat can be a problem in ALL modern hi tech cars,, especially those that are permanently transmitting to keys, phone signals  internet etc., Even a 'normal' car  with a full sized starter  battery   can go from fully charged to fully discharged (and at risk of permanent battery damage) in as little as a month.  And may not start in as little as 2 weeks.

Low mileage users increasingly need to take precautions.   Bring back starting handles. ;D

I agreed with you. Just I don't wanna accept that new high tech car can't have flat battery. It's can be a defect battery ok but can't be car manufactory mistake. It's just can't. They using same infrastructure for decades and new electronic component are getting better and better.
They can make an aerodynamic flaw with new car desing but can't understand a electric flaw
Cheers!

Tags: