Author Topic: Crosstar D or B driving  (Read 4175 times)

pete-preston

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz hybrid ex i-hmmd
Re: Crosstar D or B driving
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2023, 04:10:48 PM »
Me too ; B all the time.Keeps the battery topped up, and dont have to use the brakes all the time  ;D ;D

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2023, 05:49:31 PM »
All the time B. And then you hit the motorway and turn on ACC and...
So... at that moment I am forced to switch to D, only to switch to B again the moment I see the exit where I want to leave the motorway in the distance.
If nothing goes right, go left!

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2023, 08:25:16 PM »
Talking about "flappy paddles", the E has them for 3 levels of regenerative braking, but after you accelerate away if defaults back to minimal so you have to keep using the paddles to slow down. I find it rather tiresome, although I suppose theoretically you could maximise battery charging by style of driving. But there is a switch to one pedal which comes to a complete stop off the accelerator. One pedal is surprisingly smooth and a much calmer and more serene drive and I can't really see any difference at all in regenerative charging. However the new Civic paddles may operate differently due to the hybrid drivetrain.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2023, 09:02:09 PM »
Civic and HRV both have ‘flappy paddles’ to control the amount of regenerative braking  :)

...HRV has B though too.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2023, 08:49:38 AM »
Civic and HRV both have ‘flappy paddles’ to control the amount of regenerative braking  :)

...HRV has B though too.
I drive my HR-V with maximum regeneration which is about the same as B on the Crosstar and the paddles are an unwanted complication. I'm used to the nearly one pedal driving provided by B mode so that's what I almost always use. The exception is when going down a very long hill and the battery gets full and the vehicle shifts to engine braking. When this happens I changed to D and skim a bit of rust off the brake pads.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2023, 09:02:42 AM »
When this happens I changed to D and skim a bit of rust off the brake pads.

You mean the brake discs? Or are you saying that you have metal brake pads? :o
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2023, 09:43:37 AM »
This all seems to be very much a personal choice.
For me. like many others, I use 'B' mode virtually all the time, changing to 'D' mode, only when I need ACC.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2023, 10:21:37 AM »
Out of interest, what do the brake lights do when you're in B mode? I understand that it's a bit like engine braking in a conventional car, but the comments here suggest it's more aggressive than that and the retardation is more like using the brakes. It can be quite important to signal to the driver behind that you're slowing down and normally he'd see your brake lights, so do the lights come on when B is slowing the car?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2023, 10:29:04 AM »
I use B all the time and it like easing off when in 3rd on a 4 gear manual.

Not too severe but more than just taking your foot off in top gear. I've not noticed any brake lights when being followed by a vehicle that you can just see a distant reflection.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2023, 11:33:20 AM »
Rust on the brake discs is another reason I mostly use D.   Light disc rusting can form quite quickly in damp weather  .Especially on cars that are not used every day. Brakes benefit from some use to help clear this rust before it starts to cause permanent pitting on the disc and other problems .  I am habitually gentle on the brakes, so even in D mode  I sometimes have to deliberately brake hard a few times to ensure  the rust is cleared.    In B mode there is an increased chance brakes wont get used enough ,or even at all on some trips.  .

The online manual page 403  says Drive D  is "used  for normal driving "  . Drive B is  " Used when driving down a long hill  and to increase regenerative braking"     .  You could argue why wouldnt you want more free energy ?      But I interpret it as meaning D is normal, B is an exception, but its your choice.   But if the B level of regeneration is always best, why do Honda even offer a choice of  D mode ,and regard it as 'normal'  .

I dont think brake lights come on unless you actually use the brake pedal.  Retardation in B mode  is not considered quite severe enough to require  brake lights . But  even in D mode I dont always trust the driver behind to be alert. I sometimes ensure my  brake lights  come on early as a wake up call.   Although you can do this in B mode as well, I find the slow reactions of other drivers bad enough as it is,without increasing how often they may be taken by surprise .
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

JJazz

• Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2023, 11:33:57 AM »
Never ever used B. Thought it was for old codgers unsure on the road.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2023, 11:47:19 AM »

...? :o

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2023, 12:21:22 PM »
When this happens I changed to D and skim a bit of rust off the brake pads.

You mean the brake discs? Or are you saying that you have metal brake pads? :o
Yes, I meant the discs!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2023, 12:28:00 PM »

Not a very complimentary post.

There are many choices on the Jazz and I respect everyone's decision for each one.
Let's be careful out there !

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2023, 12:32:05 PM »
Then you should try it. The accelerator pedal almost becomes a speed pedal and it's fun trying to adjust the pedal position to give the required speed when slowing down without needing to use the brakes. Perhaps the deceleration provided by B mode can catch out any tailgaters (who are too numerous) but sensibly they should learn to leave more space. Remember those chevrons on motorways showing the recommended vehicle spacing at motorway speed?

Tags: