Author Topic: Replacing the original tyres?  (Read 2208 times)

Pogglefish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda HR-V Adv. Style in Sand Khaki
Replacing the original tyres?
« on: December 27, 2022, 12:00:05 AM »
Hi All

A couple of quick questions:

1) How many miles might one expect out of the original Yokohama Blue Earth’s? I’ve done 12.5k now and my gauge is showing I’ve still got 5mm all round, which is quite long lasting by modern standards, but I’m just wondering what others got before they wore out?

2) When it is time to change them, same again or something else?

Cheers

-Pogglefish

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
Re: Replacing the original tyres?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 08:05:23 AM »
Normally change my tyres at 3mm.

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 08:28:42 AM »
The actual tread life depends so much on how you drive, town or motorway driving.
I am a little surprised you have 5mm all around as being front wheel drive with a high torque electric motor driving the front wheels most of the time, one would normally expect that the front tyres wear considerably faster than the rears(assuming you or the garage have not rotated them)
3mm is about the right time to change
If you are satisfied with the original tyres, stick with the same, alternatively, if you live in the colder regions of the UK, a set of all season tyres would be a good investment for all year safety.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 12:49:34 PM »
No personal experience yet, but from what I've read Continental EcoContact 6 have better ratings than the Yokos for wet and efficiency, and the Michelin CrossClimates also better and get excellent reviews. Opinions welcome?

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 02:33:20 PM »
I’m down to 3mm after 19,000 miles at the front and 5mm at the rear. I will be swapping the front pair for Michelin energy tyres as they will go a far bit further.  The high torque drive train does sometimes spin a wheel f you exit a junction energetically… Quite a few diesel drivers have been surprised by how quickly the Jazz leaves them behind as they shuffle through their gears … also the “pureEV s” don’t g much beyond 60 as no doubt their kW use goes up rapidly !

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 07:09:57 AM »
Reports suggest that full EV vehicle tyres have a relatively short life due to the high tourque of the electric motors and weight of the cars.
The Jazz wont be quite as bad, but from the 2 comments above, the tyre mileage is not looking great.
Just for information and before rushing out to buy Eco tyres, you may want to read this first.
Its a clear choice between wet and dry grip or marginally better MPG

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-ViBilagare-Eco-and-Regular-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 11:42:45 AM »
Tyres for electric vehicles have stronger side walls to cope with the extra weight of EVs, so putting them on an ICE car may result in a harsher ride.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 12:05:38 PM »
I’m down to 3mm after 19,000 miles at the front and 5mm at the rear. I will be swapping the front pair for Michelin energy tyres as they will go a far bit further.  The high torque drive train does sometimes spin a wheel f you exit a junction energetically… Quite a few diesel drivers have been surprised by how quickly the Jazz leaves them behind as they shuffle through their gears … also the “pureEV s” don’t g much beyond 60 as no doubt their kW use goes up rapidly !

I'd be quite pleased with that rate of wear. I know the Dunlop SP2030 tyres I had on one of previous Jazzes were down at 3mm at 10,000 miles (fronts).

SouthernExile

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mark 4 SR Crystal Black (70 Reg)
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 12:33:12 PM »
When my two year old Jazz was serviced in September this year at about 13,500 miles, the front tyres were at about 3.5mm and the rear ones somewhat over 5mm, a differential which I think reflects the torque exerted on the front driving wheels.
Not wanting the front tyres to get much lower, in December I replaced them with Michelin Cross-Climate tyres (cost £193 for the two). I shall keep an eye on the rears but by the time of the next service (and first MOT) in September 2023, with mileage possibly around 20,000 by then, I shall probably have replaced the rears with the same Michelins.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 01:18:51 PM »
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-ViBilagare-Eco-and-Regular-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Interesting, I wonder how the Continental Eco got ther A rating in the wet? Google ratings and some say good in the wet and some say poor. Confusing for the buyer.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 11:44:01 AM »
When my two year old Jazz was serviced in September this year at about 13,500 miles, the front tyres were at about 3.5mm and the rear ones somewhat over 5mm, a differential which I think reflects the torque exerted on the front driving wheels.
Not wanting the front tyres to get much lower, in December I replaced them with Michelin Cross-Climate tyres (cost £193 for the two). I shall keep an eye on the rears but by the time of the next service (and first MOT) in September 2023, with mileage possibly around 20,000 by then, I shall probably have replaced the rears with the same Michelins.
Tyre experts now recommend that you have your 'best' tyres on the rear   Although it seems sensible to have your improved winter grip on the front  in the winter  the experts reason that if the car skids when cornering  most drivers find it easier to recover from a front wheel skid than a rear wheel skid. My head tells me its more sensible to worry about getting round corners ,but my heart tends to favour tyres that allow you to get moving at all.   :P

Ideally have  the same tyres all round. (even different brands can make a difference)     I'm not entirely convinced by the arguement , and certainly in the 'old days' I always put my 'best' tyres on the front.   

On my  old Yaris I fitted 4 all season tyres,  but because this left me 2 almost new summer tyres I had them fitted to 2 spare rims   and used these on the front during the summer. (It also meant I now had a full sized spare)     This mixing of tyres is not ideal, but if anything I had more confidence in the grip of the all seasons than the summer tyres  so it was close to what experts recommend.ie best grip on rear. 

I know it sounds counter productive but in your circumstances the experts may advise putting the summer tyres on the front  , even during the winter.  The advantage is  they will wear out that much sooner, and you can have 4 all season tyres that much sooner.   But if I am entirely honest I would probably stay as you are for now.Maybe swop front to rear asap in the spring.   

But  mixing and matching may not be legal in all countries, especially those where winter rated tyres are legally required. 

On my mk 4 I currently have  4 after market wheels fitted with all season tyres. I will refit the original wheels and summer tyres for the summer.  Until the summer tyres need replacment   But I wont buy new summer tyres. If necessary I will remain on the all season wheels  all year round until the car is sold on its original wheels and  part worn tyres  .  This way I  have no regrets if I need to replace the tyres on my 'winter' wheels   because they can be fitted to my next car.  (or sold to recoup some of the initial outlay )   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 10:09:51 AM »
Tyres for electric vehicles have stronger side walls to cope with the extra weight of EVs, so putting them on an ICE car may result in a harsher ride.

Are some tyres marked suitable for EVs?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 01:01:08 PM »

Are some tyres marked suitable for EVs?
I dont think there is yet a special marking symbol such as the snowflake in a mountain one you get for winter rated tyres.  But manufacturers   are beginning to emphasise  which tyres are considered suitable for EV's and may include EV in the tyres name. 

At present  I'm not sure there is much difference, if any , between tyres marketed  as  suitable EV  and tyres that have long been available which are rated  as  XL  (extra load)  You often have the choice in the same model of tyre between speed ratings, and an XL version  with stiffer side walls for extra load rating.    This information is there if you read the specifications closely enough but many buyers dont bother. 

I prefer all season tyres ,but might  consider getting XL rated version of the all season tyre as a bit of a compromise.      EVs high torque from rest can wear out tyres quicker if you chose to use all that torque.     But at present I dont think the Jazz hybrid is extreme enough to justify paying extra for something designated EV  which is essentially just a summer rated tyre  (which IMO are useless in winter)  Maybe they will be improved and optimised further. 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2023, 02:42:42 PM »
I was looking at tyres for the Honda e and the front tyres have a load rating of 88 and the rears 91. My Skoda Fabia is only 83.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2023, 04:23:32 PM »
I was looking at tyres for the Honda e and the front tyres have a load rating of 88 and the rears 91. My Skoda Fabia is only 83.
Interesting.  83 load rating is 487 kg  x 4, sufficient for  total car weight 1942 kg   
Jazz mk 4 are load rated between 86 and 88 depending on size.Front and rear.    (allows total car weight  2120kg - 2240 kg . )
Honda E  needs a higher load rating at the rear   so presumably the battery makes it tail heavy. 

I assume a higher load rating generally means stiffer side walls.

From this I would conclude its more important to ensure tyres meet the minimum   load rating for that car than  any general claim of being EV friendly.  I'd of thought lots of torque on the front wheels but most weight on the rear would increase tyre wear. The Jazz is better than many Ev's in this respect. 

Time will tell if the advantage of EV tyres when fitted to a Jazz  lives up to the advertising hype.     Until a clear advantage and winner emerges I wont lose any sleep about not having them. 

Tags:

anything