Author Topic: Pet Hates With Your Cars  (Read 6540 times)

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
Re: Pet Hates With Your Cars
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2022, 02:33:47 PM »
For me, anything that affects the steering, when I’m not expecting it,  is a ‘no no’ for me.

And this is where (in my opinion) you and many other commenters here go wrong: You should/could know what to expect!

... I'm a voter that is in in favour of RDMS but can't quite get behind your statement there. The system still can go off script occasionally and 'wobble' the steering wheel when there is no reasonable expectation of it doing so.
The other times I agree that it is inevitable it will activate and should not come as a surprise to anyone. 
The fact is that unless you are not holding the steering wheel at all it isn't going to deviate the car's direction from the driver's intended course. The 'wobble' just isn't strong enough to beat two hands on the wheel even with a light grip.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2022, 02:54:45 PM »
To add insult to injury, my local dealer charges £114 plus VAT to do it for you - no thanks - I'd rather get lost.

There are Honda dealers and Honda dealers: Ours did it for free/thank you...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2022, 02:56:40 PM »
The system still can go off script occasionally and 'wobble' the steering wheel when there is no reasonable expectation of it doing so.

Possibly... but I've never experienced that in almost 16 months.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2022, 03:58:26 PM »
...I think you are in a select group of one!  ;D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2022, 04:39:01 PM »
Yes, number 1 is just a farm track. No public roads in the UK are as bad as that, not even in the Scottish Highlands.
I've driven on public roads like that in England often because the satnav thinks it is the best route. Scotland has its own interesting roads, notably the A roads which are single carriageway with passing places.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2022, 05:25:36 PM »

You mean that group that (even at my age) quickly adapts to new things? :P
I had hoped and expected that group would be (much) larger than one... I am even sure it is!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2022, 05:28:03 PM »
To add insult to injury, my local dealer charges £114 plus VAT to do it for you - no thanks - I'd rather get lost.

There are Honda dealers and Honda dealers: Ours did it for free/thank you...

That's good. When I complained about this a year or two ago somebody told me that it was a "software update" and should be free. I'm not sure Honda dealers here in the UK see it that way unfortunately. I'd be interested to hear from any UK owner who has had their built in sat nav updated for free. It would be ammunition if nothing else.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2022, 05:39:52 PM »

You mean that group that (even at my age) quickly adapts to new things? :P
I had hoped and expected that group would be (much) larger than one... I am even sure it is!

Interesting point about the age thing. I have a friend who recently bought a smart phone because Liverpool FC now insist on electronic admission to the stadium. You load the ticket to your phone's wallet - Apple Pay or such like and a scanner at the turnstile lets you in. He hates his smart phone with a passion. He still has an old Nokia that he uses to make very occasional phone calls and he slings his smartphone in a draw after every match. He calls us "the forgotten generation." He is a bit older than me.

I have never thought of myself as a luddite but I find most new technology increases complexity rather than reduces it. There are some very clever people in the tech industries and they are designing products with zero consideration for user friendliness given that it is impossible for them to conceive of organisms with smaller brains than them or, indeed, old shrivelled ones. My TV can be operated by voice controls. I tried it once, it went absolutely haywire and I had to get my son-in-law to sort it out.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2022, 06:13:29 PM »
Despite being 74 I would not be without my Smartphone. I don't use it for everything it can do but I use it for banking, loyalty cards, email, Whatsapp and Hive, as well as phoning and text.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2022, 06:49:52 PM »
Despite being 74

Despite being 74?
I would say: just because you (and I) are 74! During all those years one had to learn new things all the time. So, very experienced!
Moreover, now a lot of free time as a pensioner, so even if it all takes a bit longer: no problem, right?  :D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2022, 09:52:08 PM »
Quite possibly. As an electronics/electrical engineer I have always had to learn new things. I started on valves then went onto transistors before DIL devices to microprocessors.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2022, 04:37:52 AM »
The one thing I will never do on a phone, or tablet, is banking or anything security related.

That's a job for an ethernet connected PC with multi layer protection in my book.

Maybe just me though.
Let's be careful out there !

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2022, 06:02:12 AM »
For me, anything that disputes or disturbs my sole command of the vehicle, is an annoyance.

RDMS disputes or disturbs your sole command of the vehicle and is an annoyance.
CMBS (Collision Mitigation Braking System) also disputes/disturbs your command of the vehicle by preventing you from or reducing the severity of a collision. A real annoyance!
Like lane keeping assist, blind spot information or the cross traffic monitor, really annoying, those vibrations, beeps and orange flashes!

Exactly! And I would add low temp warning, seat belt warning, open door warning etc. I hate those beeps and flashes.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 06:04:51 AM by TnTkr »

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2022, 09:13:32 AM »
Scotland has its own interesting roads, notably the A roads which are single carriageway with passing places.
Yes, I've experienced them  :o
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 05:31:23 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2022, 12:15:22 PM »
The lack of power at low revs on the MK3
Also when using the paddles it pulls away in 1st gear but I think on the MK 2 it pulled away  in 2nd
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 12:48:56 PM by edam »

Tags: