Author Topic: New MK3 EX CVT Owner - Spare wheel solution  (Read 986 times)

wil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz 1.4SE
New MK3 EX CVT Owner - Spare wheel solution
« on: November 30, 2022, 03:11:50 PM »
Hi Everyone, Just upgraded my ageing 18 year old MK1 CVT to a lovely low mileage MK3 1.3 i-VTEC EX CVT 2017, registered just before 31st March 2017 so it qualifies for the low £30 / year tax  :)

A marked improvement coming from the MK1, love all the electronic safety gadgets and other standard options which comes with the EX model.

Throttle response is quite different from my old MK1 even my wife commented on this.  It seems like the first 50% travel is tuned for economy, it all changes when you floor it pass the kick-down switch though.  I find that using the paddles in S-mode gets the best of the engine.  My old MK1 1.4 i-DSI had more mid-range punch whereas the MK3 1.3 i-VTEC has a lot more top end power.

I managed to bag myself a cheap full-sized 6Jx15" alloy plus a jack\wrench from a MK1 as a spare and spent the afternoon crafting a wooden support for the flimsy cardboard boot floor cover.  The front section is fully supported by the wheel but the wheel slopes downwards towards the rear, the wooden support to the rear (not shown in pic) is able to slide under the gap of the rear seats which provides a perfect anchoring point of the whole wooden support, the wooden battens has to be no more than 10mm thick in order for it to slide under.  It's not a pretty site but it does the job perfectly, I'd managed to put the jack\tools etc around the outside or inside of the wheel stuffed with bubble wrap to stop rattling around, the other option would be to spend over £100 from Honda for a piece of hard foam insert to suit a full-size spare wheel.

Philno

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk 3 SE 2018 manual Sunset Orange
Re: New MK3 EX CVT Owner - Spare wheel solution
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 03:39:21 PM »
Hi Wil

Hope you have many good years motoring with your new upgrade.
I put together a similar support for my spare wheel.
I think it should be a legal requirement for all car manufacturers to provide a spare wheel and tools like in the past. The rubber sealant method they supply instead to me is not fit for purpose, and it is another way of cutting their costs instead giving their customers the best service. It is all about THEM.
"Honda- the power of dreams" !!!!!!!
Sorry, rant over!

Enjoy your new car, Sir

Phil

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 04:56:15 PM »
more about saving weight to meet continuous EU reductions in co2 emissions  ::)

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 05:42:13 PM »
Good solution.

Glad to see you have bolted it down, stop it escaping in an emergency braking situation.

Ironically the lack of a spare is for less weight and emissions and gives you the £30 road tax.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 06:33:23 PM »
I picked up a piece of scrap metal in my Mark 2 2012 Jazz. Gashed a hole in tyre sidewall 80 miles from home.. Fortunately I have a space saver spare wheel in the boot for such occurrence as the "glue" would not work.. Drove home on M6 at 50mph.
 I needed a new tyre.

Lucky me to have bought a spare.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 08:04:06 AM »
Most punctures I have had have been slow - noticed on the driveway etc. I have usually been able to pump it up for long enough to get to a tyre fitter. Or occasionally I fitted the spare.

Many tyre fitters refuse to repair punctures if a repair kit has been used, so you need a new tyre even for a  puncture that could otherwise have been repaired. The type where you fit a bottle of gunge  to the pump use particularly powerful solvents that are difficult to remove.    Some of the self contained aerosol types with their own inflation tube use a water/latex formula thats easy to clean off.  So some fitters might agree to repair those.   
So using an inflation  kit just once, when it could have been avoided, could cost more than buying a used spare wheel and tools. If you have a  spare wheel well   to me its a no brainer.   I carry a spare even on a Mk4 which has no spare wheel well.  It takes up boot space, but to me its worth it.

The few times I have had to stop at the roadside with a puncture  a kit wouldnt always have  worked.  I'd have had to be reliant on having  decent breakdown cover  able to attend and get me on my way 24/7.  Breaking down at 3 am in the middle of nowhere on a bank holiday can still happen. But I'd rather it were not for want of a spare wheel. Especially if I dont speak the local language. 

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 06:14:18 PM »
See if you can pick up one of these cheap.

I gave one away a while ago.

Fits perfectly on spare and supports floor

Tags: