Author Topic: LED Headlight bulbs  (Read 2741 times)

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
LED Headlight bulbs
« on: November 26, 2022, 08:40:43 AM »
has anyone replaced there bulbs with these .. ?
and are they legal.. i had one of my 50% brighter bulbs blow and had to put an old standard one in quik. but just ordered some led's

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: LED Headlight bulbs
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 09:30:47 AM »
It is illegal to fit LED bulbs to a light unit not designed for them and an MOT failure, though some examiners may turn a blind eye. Many people have fitted them. Some are terrible for beam pattern, others very good. There are a number of threads here about them.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 09:47:44 AM »
I agree J

This is the crucial phrase :

"Elliptical Headlight Lens which means you get a proper cut off with no glare"

Without that the MOT test equipment will likely fail
Let's be careful out there !

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 10:03:30 AM »
some examiners may turn a blind eye.
Intentional or not, that brought a smile to my face Jocko :)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 10:09:07 AM »
I can't comment on all LED headlight bulbs, but the ones offered by Classic Car Leds, appear to have the identical beam pattern to the standard bulb and are thus able to pass the UK mot test.
I had them in my previous Jazz cars and they passed the mot (rightly or wrongly) without any comment.
They were significantly better than the standard bulb and I never had any issues with objections from oncoming motorists.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 10:33:43 AM »
some examiners may turn a blind eye.
Intentional or not, that brought a smile to my face Jocko :)
On original typing it was not intentional but once I typed it I saw the pun so left it there.

fashionphotography

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 12:17:50 PM »
think il order another set of plus 50's. got the last set in lidl's ages ago

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2022, 03:05:38 PM »
As per Jocko's post, MOT regs changed relatively recently to make it a fail for cars fitted with LED replacement "bulbs" in headlights not made for them. Interestingly it is not deemed a reason to issue a fail for motorcycles fitted with them, however it is still the case that LED replacements for incandescents are generally not approved for road-use as they do not carry "E" marks.
MOT tests do not inspect lamps for "E" marks, just for function. If you fit and use LED headlamp bulbs it's pretty unlikely you'll be stopped for them as long as they have a decent beam pattern, just be aware of the legalities and MOT issues and make your decision accordingly.

LED replacements for incandescents is an area unlikely to be addressed in regulation any time soon (=ever) in my opinion, it is an aftermarket issue and as such of little or no interest to the regulatory bodies, and after the "B" event of recent times they will be tied up in knots trying to cope with all the bureaucracy of transferring regulation over to domestic versions from EU versions. They have already admitted partial defeat over the replacement for the "CE" approval (UKCA https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-the-ukca-marking#full-publication-update-history ) , it wouldn't surprise me if it's postponed further or even abandoned completely, we shall see.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2022, 06:20:49 PM »
think il order another set of plus 50's. got the last set in lidl's ages ago
The problem with the +50s are they run hotter so blow sooner. I used to fit them to my Volvo, as they were easier to change than the Jazz. The Jazz is such a faff you want to change them as infrequently as possible. I have a sidelight blown and an MOT due. My plan is to get the garage to change it and put a new headlamp bulb in at the same time to hopefully see me out (no pun intended).
To be honest, I find the Jazz headlights more than adequate, even better than the Volvo's were.

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2022, 06:43:04 PM »
If you use LED bulbs as replacements for 'conventional' bulbs I assume that it is classed as a modification and therefore MUST be notified to your insurance company otherwise your insurance maybe invalid.

Also it might be considered that you are using an unroadworthy vehicle as you know its a MOT failure.

As a precaution I would check before any potential future problem.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2022, 08:17:16 PM »
Fitted the Classic LED's headlight bulbs about 2 years ago before the MOT regulations changed. The comment from the tester was they had a perfect cut-off much better than standard bulbs. They are fantastic.

I have had 2 MOT's since the regulation change. When the car goes for its annual service and MOT, I take the original bulbs with me and if the tester doesn't like the LED's, I request the servicing (not the MOT) garage swap them out & back again after the test.

To date the swap has not been necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 10:51:20 PM »
If the replacement LED bulbs have an excellent beam pattern then how would the examiner know that they aren't the original bulbs without looking under the bonnet?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2022, 10:54:43 PM »
If the replacement LED bulbs have an excellent beam pattern then how would the examiner know that they aren't the original bulbs without looking under the bonnet?

Easily recognisable from the front & the light output is too white to be anything else.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2022, 07:57:58 AM »
It does seem unfair that the type of conversion bulbs sold by Classic cars leds , which appear to be an improvement in every way, are now illegal because of the dangerous characteristics of some other conversion kits on the market.   But its an MOT fail to convert headlamp units  made for halogen bulbs to run Led or HID/Xenon.   And remains illegal whether or not the tester  turns a blind eye or you swop bulbs just for the test.   
I am not averse to bending the law slightly on occasions if the result is actually safer and the consequences of being caught might just be a small fine.      But as pointed out  there is no way your insurers  would approve of a modification that makes your car illegal.    They would be only too pleased to find a reason not to pay out a claim for many thousands.  They wouldnt care if its was intentional on your part.     And the chances of them finding out might be higher than you think.  The other driver only needs to mention as part of his excuse that your unusually bright lights blinded him  , or if the car is damaged enough its towed away and an engineer appointed by the insurer notices the leds.    If the crash was serious enough police crash investigators would  also notice.  (they can even tell if a bulb was lit at the time it was smashed - the filament fuses )  The courts might take a lenient view on its relevance to the crash  but  your insurers will be rubbing their hands with glee.

But i have found a much greater injustice.  You can legally fit led and Hid bulbs  and pass the mot if you change the whole headlight units for ones made specially for that type of bulb.     A very expensive option but might appeal to customising enthusiasts.      Most replacement headlights  just take H4 bulbs, but I found the following  described as  "cell rim'  I THINK that means they are led. And they MIGHT be legal, Might pass the test MOT beam pattern test, the tester might be satisfied the unfamiliar markings means its genuine led, not converted   and MIGHT be accepted by insurers as a modification.  Caveat Emptor - Buyer beware.     

https://www.car-parts.ie/car-parts/abakus/p-9259593           384 Euro   (£330)     (Ireland) 

or the same things       https://www.autodoc.co.uk/abakus/9259592      £427.39   :o  (IIRC they were even more expensive when I had a quick look yesterday) 
Prices per pair, but without bulbs, or wiring connectors. 

But crucially both sellers are the SAME  company. Autodoc in Germany.            Whats that all about?  Brexit freedoms   ?     (would it be too political to mention that the Liz Truss  post Brexit Trade deal with Japan has resulted in fewer UK exports to Japan,not more as promised) 
Its a shame. i used Autodoc for some brake discs  pre brexit  and delivery from Germany was fast and the price good.  . 

« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 08:39:14 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2022, 08:26:42 AM »
My 8G Civics had the lovely white HID's. My 9G Civic had the horrible yellow dimmer halogen but the Jazz is back to lovely white via LED's

Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything