Author Topic: tyre size  (Read 1126 times)

2007Jazz

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2008 1.3 CVT
tyre size
« on: November 11, 2022, 08:10:58 PM »
hi all, made a bit of a boo boo ordering some  Micheline crossclimates, ordered 185/65/R15 instead of 185/55R15. Anybody knows if these fit okay, and if they do, any drawbacks. They are going on my 2008 1.3 CVT?

Henryge

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 43.3
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 litre 2014 ivtec
Re: tyre size
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 10:40:30 PM »
Hi There, Check your door pillar sticker for tyre sizes and pressure for your car,
              It will be on either driver or passenger door pillar. what you are doing is
             putting larger diameter tyres which makes your car speedo out by Minus 6%
             so at 30mph you actually doing 28mph and at 60mph your are 56mph. Your
             ride height will increased by 18mm and lose 18mm on wheel gap All the
             rest is the same. But you can only put on those tyre sizes marked on car.
             This will be an insurance void

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 10:43:01 AM »
Sorry ,Its not an acceptable alternative size.    If the  correct size is 185/55/R15  then fitting 185/65/R15   increases the rolling circumference of the wheel and tyre  by 6%.  Speedometer reading will be wrong but more importantly the change in gearing may make the car undriveable, similar to setting off in second.    A difference of 1 % or so is the most thats normally acceptable.  See the  size comparison on the following site 

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=185&aspect=65&diameter=15&wheelwidth=6&offset=50&width2=185&aspect2=55&wheel_size=15&wheel_width=6&offset2=50

You wont be the first to have made a mistake on tyre size, and the seller may have a return/exhange policy at reasonable cost  to encourage future custom.Particularly if they have regular deliveries to approved tyre fitters, and can easily deliver  another set and take the old ones back at the same time. Also  the 185/65/R15 size will fit quite a few cars (Yaris,corsa,Clio etc)  and Cross climates are popular so the local tyre fitter may be happy to put them  into stock until a customer comes along . You might find the fitter wouldnt be willing to fit them to your car anyway.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 11:33:20 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

2007Jazz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2008 1.3 CVT
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 06:49:09 AM »
  Thanks for the reply guys, I've spoken to the retailer and they are changing the order to the correct size, although not the crossclimate  2 but crossclimate +, so a little dearer! Ive had the car a few months now and getting 4 good tyres all the same and not a mixed lot make for better ride !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 11:45:29 AM »
Glad its sorted.  There was always the possibility of a price difference.  Certain sizes can be significantly more expensive than others   depending on stock availability, and how common a size it is.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 03:39:05 PM »
  Thanks for the reply guys, I've spoken to the retailer and they are changing the order to the correct size, although not the crossclimate  2 but crossclimate +, so a little dearer! Ive had the car a few months now and getting 4 good tyres all the same and not a mixed lot make for better ride !

You're going to be happy with those. My Mk2 Jazz was my first non 4x4 car in a while. I put cross climates on it and I could get up hills in snow that my CRV could not have managed on regular tyres. I have Nokian all season tyres on my RAV4 now, so the best of both worlds. It was interesting in my little Jazz driving almost normally on steep snowy and icy roads that people in SUVs were struggling on.

Tags: