Author Topic: Steering rack etc  (Read 1310 times)

Russell

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz SE Mk1 2007 auto petrol
Steering rack etc
« on: October 15, 2022, 11:55:54 AM »
Given the unique & heavy characteristics of my Mk1 Jazz, I was thinking of getting the steering rack etc replaced. Was told by the local Honda dealer it would cost £2k+ but given that's cheaper than getting anything better, I may well go for it.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Steering rack etc
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 01:58:34 PM »
I take it your power steering has failed as the Mk 1 Jazz does not have "unique & heavy characteristics". There can be a bit of vagueness around the centre point at times on some cars but it is certainly not heavy.
If it has failed I would get an independent garage to source you a replacement from a breaker and have them fit that. It will be considerably less than a dealer will charge. My Mk 1 Jazz didn't cost me £2K to buy. I certainly wouldn't consider spending that on a repair.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 05:03:37 PM »
Heavy steering.  :o

Try driving something old when power steering didn't exist.  :D

But in all seriousness, If its broke or leaking etc get a scrapyard replacement or even a replacement car for that price.

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 06:27:59 PM »
I'm not trying to second guess your problem, but on other cars I've had, the tyre pressures were critical to the steering feel.   For instance, I had a Rover P6 without power steering for 14 years and if the pressure was low by as much as 2PSI on the front tyres, the steering had a much heavier feel.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 06:30:05 PM »
Hi

I believe the power steering is electric

As culzean has posted many times, check your battery

Many thanks

John

Skyline84

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 Honda Jazz 1.4 SE
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 04:54:08 PM »
I agree with the other comments - finding a used one in a scrap yard and having that fitted will cost a lot less.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 07:37:03 PM »
check your battery

This. It is highly unlikely your steering rack has failed. Try a new battery first if you haven't replaced the battery in a few years.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 03:12:24 PM »
also tracking is vital.. when i got my mk1 jazz i found the sticky steering awful trying to keep it in a straight line . especialy around 70mph on the motorway .. i did the tracking it was slightly towing out . now my steering wheel is dead straight and have had no sticky steering since

geonel

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz 2007
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 06:42:50 PM »
I have the same problem - 2007 Jazz with very heavy and vague steering.  I read somewhere there was a batch of steering racks with the wrong grease which made the steering very heavy, but there was not a recall.

Tags:

anything