Author Topic: First prang  (Read 1996 times)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
First prang
« on: September 22, 2022, 01:42:45 PM »
On Sunday I reverse parked at a supermarket. As I pulled out of the place and turned left I forgot how close I was to railings. The car scraped hard along the railings.
I've initiated an insurance claim;  thank goodness for comprehensive insurance. I'll have to pay a total excess of  £350
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 01:44:32 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
Re: First prang
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 02:38:43 PM »
...Ouchy! Stomach churning time when that happens...

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 02:57:39 PM »
Look on the bright side: it's just painted metal!
Small accident. Nobody hurt? So everything OK, just a pity about the money...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 02:58:48 PM »
Oops. :( Bad luck...

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 03:13:30 PM »
Ouch, that hurts!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 03:23:12 PM »
Ouch.  Even a lesser prang would be no less welcome  and still need to be repaired  .And  likely to cost about the same at a body shop,  and you'd lose the same excess.   Is it any consolation that you are getting more prang for your buck?  Probably not.   :'(   And you  probably dont want me making light of it   >:(
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 04:15:27 PM »
Look on the bright side: it's just painted metal!
Small accident. Nobody hurt? So everything OK, just a pity about the money...
Yes indeed;  it broke my heart to damage a nearly new vehicle, but as you say the only casualty is my bank balance.

The incident had a benefit for wifey; for the rest of our time together she can cite this incident whenever I dare to say anything about her driving.  >:(
Neil Ives

5thcivic

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 04:30:14 PM »
for the rest of our time together she can cite this incident whenever I dare to say anything about her driving.  >:(

Until she makes a scratch.... Opps, sorry, don't want to tempt fate! Commiserations again.  :-[

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 04:44:58 PM »
That is bad luck but so easily done.

Be interesting to see how quickly and easily your insurance company organises the repair.

Country Cousin

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk 4 X
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 05:03:03 PM »
How very annoying for you - my commiserations.
Do you think in retrospect that the side protectors as seen in the ‘style’ trim might have saved you? (These are meant to fit on to the point of maximum body width.) I wondered about getting these myself but didn’t as they don’t protect from car park dings and are not cheap (if painted). I might reconsider now.

(Photo from Honda UK website https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/jazz-hybrid/overview.html)

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 05:27:05 PM »
for the rest of our time together she can cite this incident whenever I dare to say anything about her driving.  >:(

Until she makes a scratch.... Opps, sorry, don't want to tempt fate! Commiserations again.  :-[

She has had a few driving 'incidents', as I have over the many years, (52) that we've been together. Wifey seems to be able to deny in her mind that any of them were her fault! For example, coming off a motorway approaching a roundabout with traffic lights. The lights turned to amber as she approached so Mrs slammed on the brakes. I was already braced for impact when a car ran into the back of ours. OK, in Britain you are supposed to stop on amber if it's safe to do so. I dared to tell her that if she'd checked the mirror before hard braking she might have realised what might happen. Mrs still denies that she made a mistake.
What do you think?
Neil Ives

Country Cousin

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk 4 X
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2022, 05:39:04 PM »
“ For example, coming off a motorway approaching a roundabout with traffic lights. The lights turned to amber as she approached so Mrs slammed on the brakes.”

Unfortunately rear shunts are common with or without this. Our last significant accident was a rear shunt when we were innocently waiting at a traffic light. In this case I think the driver was distracted by her children in the back seat. Mobile phones and screens can also be a hazardous distraction.

It is also my impression that car body shops get a lot of business from low speed car park biffs and scrapes. These are so easily done especially as cars get bigger. My daughter’s Jazz was recently reversed into by a big estate car in one such car park incident recently :(

5thcivic

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2022, 09:48:24 PM »
I have the side protectors, they are soft on impact, maybe harder where attached to the car. It all depends on whether you could hear the sounds of impact on the softer outer material to stop in time not to affect the actual metal. Maybe not, they are designed to be banged by doors parked to the side in car parks mostly I guess. With body paint they would not be that cheap to replace either?

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2022, 11:21:52 PM »
Do you think in retrospect that the side protectors as seen in the ‘style’ trim might have saved you?
The rear passenger door is damaged and the sill is crushed. Those side rubbers would not have protected the sill. I suppose I may have felt the contact sooner if a protector was fitted.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 09:44:36 AM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2022, 06:17:44 AM »
I hope the repair is good and your next insurance quote doesn't go sky high.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything