Author Topic: 72 month servicing question  (Read 1556 times)

ChasingDopamine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz S I-VTEC 2016
72 month servicing question
« on: September 22, 2022, 12:21:43 PM »
Hi all, I had a few questions about my servicing I was hoping someone could help me with.

I have a 2016 Honda Jazz with 32,000 miles , that's due for its 72 month service.  It's last service was  1 year 5 months ago at 19,000 miles.

My Honda dealership is asking for £958 for the 72 month service. This seems very expensive to me and I did not want to spend this much.

What other options do I have? Can I get a service done at an independent non-Honda garage? Can I get an oil change for now and just delay the service until another time?

Many thanks again for your time, any advice is much appreciated.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: 72 month servicing question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 01:35:18 PM »
I would ask your dealer to provide a schedule of work & parts.  Can't wait to see their oil per pint charges.
You can have any car serviced by a independent garage providing they use oe spec parts.
Why not then compare the cost of Honda parts with the online store https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/
You can order the parts & oil then ask your local garage to fit, I've done this for many years.
If you don't have a service plan then why not ask around locally, talk to the owner & given them your business.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 02:25:10 PM »
Scandalous price especially when Honda sell complete 5 year service packages for about that sum.

ChasingDopamine

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz S I-VTEC 2016
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 02:34:42 PM »
I called them for specific details. They said:
The 958 service includes:
Oil and oil filter
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Brake fluid change
Transmission oil
Valve clearances
Corrosion check

They also offer a cheaper service for just oil, oil filter and 35 point health check for 230,

And  Oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter and brake fluid + 35 point health check for 340

Someone advised me to just buy the oil and oil filter and have a local garage fit them. I know Im definitely overdue for an oil change but I don't know how desperately I need a service.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 03:13:13 PM »
I have noticed, in the past, that changing transmission fluid (highly recommended to be fair) seems very expensive.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 03:18:25 PM »
In attachment you can see the maintenance  schedule for the 1.3 GK3 Jazz, mileage or months are intended as "what first reached".
The 6th year service is very expensive as you have a standard service (engine oil and filters) plus gearbox oil, fuel filter, spark plugs, engine valve clearance and brake fluid. You could postpone valve clearance check  and spark splugs / fuel filter change  as their wear is related to mileage (quantity and quality), while fluids must be changed as their decay is given by mileage but also by time.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 03:50:32 PM by jazzaro »

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 04:51:14 PM »
just get a 12 or 12+ service and that is all you need

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/tailored-service-plan.html

anything else (apart from brake pads or worn suspension mot fails etc) is not really worth doing

my last service at a dealer last week they found £444 worth of extra work including a brand new wiper i put on that they put down as worn and ripped but no mension on the mot of anything

my car is 68 plate with just under 21000 miles

also how can they justify £138.99 for a/c service with no R1234yf fluid, what do they do for that money?

i ended up with a 12 service and mot for £270 so not bad as you get stamp in the book, the free roadside assistance and a wash and vac out plus mk4 jazz courtesy car

next year i will get a 12+ service that adds new pollen and engine filter and brake fluid change and i will add on the clutch fluid change for the first time

so its up to you as you are out of warranty, you are the customer, so 12 or 12+ service plus anything else you want to add

« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 05:13:32 PM by monkeydave »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 04:57:54 PM »
In 10 years and 50k miles, my diy servicing has cost half that quoted sum - in TOTAL
CVT fluid = yes
oil and filter every year ? yes
Air filter? every three years.
Fuel filter - in tanks. NOT Needed.
Valve clearances - Never.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 05:02:12 PM »
I called them for specific details. They said:
The 958 service includes:
Oil and oil filter
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Brake fluid change
Transmission oil
Valve clearances
Corrosion check

They also offer a cheaper service for just oil, oil filter and 35 point health check for 230,

And  Oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter and brake fluid + 35 point health check for 340

Someone advised me to just buy the oil and oil filter and have a local garage fit them. I know Im definitely overdue for an oil change but I don't know how desperately I need a service.

if you look closely on some of the maintenance schedules i have seen there is an asterix symbol on the valve clearance and it is just the mechanic listening to the engine and not doing anything if it sounds ok, i would skip that as all the cars i adjusted my own valves never need any adjustment at all

also the plugs as you are not at 75000 miles so no need yet for those

i think due to the petrol cars going away they are really pushing for any extra money they can get, thats what you get for being part of the WEF i suppose, there was litterally no one in the showroom and only a couple of cars in the service bay when i went last week and it will just get worse and worse with no petrol only cars to sell

also the corrosion check is done every year as they need that all the way to 12 years old
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 05:21:45 PM by monkeydave »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 05:23:25 PM »
In 10 years and 50k miles, my diy servicing has cost half that quoted sum - in TOTAL
CVT fluid = yes
Just a question.
There are two planes, one serviced as set by the manufacturer ("Every XX hours change this, every YY landings check that") and  the other serviced as intended by the owner, following his feelings ("I've never changed hydraulic oils for flaps and aerobrakes, never had problems"). Which plane would you like to find in the runaway for your next London-Tenerife no stop?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 05:37:26 PM »
CVT fluid = yes
Just a question.
There are two planes, one serviced as set by the manufacturer ("Every XX hours change this, every YY landings check that") and  the other serviced as intended by the owner, following his feelings ("I've never changed hydraulic oils for flaps and aerobrakes, never had problems"). Which plane would you like to find in the runaway for your next London-Tenerife no stop?

I follow Honda's service schedule.
When planes fail they crash.
When cars fail, they tend to stop.

Not comparable in any way.

I am a skilled mechanic by hobby. My Jazz has never broken down and runs as new.  (So far!)

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2022, 06:06:08 PM »
here is the Honda fixed price menu, if you tot up what they quoted to do you will see for yourself.
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/repairs.html

For my TypeR I only got them to do stuff I either don't know how to or don't have the facility/tools to do.
So far I have changed the Aux belt, plugs, fuel filter and pads & slider pins.

I let them do the brake/clutch fluid, gearbox oil, coolant and valves. But only as and when the service schedule says by years or miles.
Your service booklet will give details of what/when so don't let them pile it all in at once.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2022, 07:09:13 AM »
I think your initial quote was assuming 12,000 miles a year. I had covered around 45,000 miles after 5 years and I negotiated a contract with the dealer for annual services 6 and 7, included MOT, for just under £700 in total, payable monthly.  It does not include the expensive plug change.

mitchelln

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2022, 09:17:12 AM »
If it's out of warranty with Honda then just take it to a local garage to have it serviced and save yourself a lot of money. Ask for recommendations on your local Facebook groups.

If you fit iridium plugs then they'll probably never need changing again.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2022, 11:46:37 AM »
Already some good advice, Heres my thoughts.    If your car is out of warranty I personally would go to an independent garage.Agree in advance whats to be done. If you insist on genuine Honda parts  agree that too. It may cost extra.  Personally I'd limit that to oil filter,unless they offer another decent brand such as Mann.

At your comparatively  low mileage I would have oil and oil filter, Brake fluid, (which is age dependent not mileage,) and  transmission oil  (better safe than sorry)  .

Air and cabin filter  , yes if they havnt been changed recently  , but would probably change them myself. On most cars its quite easy with minimal or no tools required.  At least you know its been done.  This is an area where dodgy garages sometimes  cut corners.   

Plugs.  If they are iridium they should last  75k Miles. 

Valve clearance - no.     
Corrosion check   Probably no.  If you can see for yourself  rust treatment is needed , then have it done. But potentially serious hidden problems would probably be spotted anyway, if not on the service  then on an MOT. 

Not sure if fuel filter is on the schedule, but its quite a big job on the Jazz and unlikely to be needed at your mileage . (unless you live in a  country with very dubious fuel quality )  . IMHO on the Jazz its an "If it aint bust dont fix it" item. 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 12:02:12 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: