Author Topic: Honda jazz 2008 Juddering solved XADO Ex120  (Read 2554 times)

therandike

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2008 CVT 61KW 83HP
Honda jazz 2008 Juddering solved XADO Ex120
« on: September 21, 2022, 10:34:45 AM »
My car had the CVT juddering problems. I flushed the CVT fluid with the Honda dealer and then added Ex120 myself. Problem went away 99%. after 7 months and 14000 miles problem is is slightly back not fully but 99% to back to 85-80%.

Can I add another EX120 tube or half?  I don't want to re-flushed the CVT fluid only did it 7 months ago. should I give it another ex12?  may be it work for another 6 months. then I can do a re-flush of CVT fluid with EX120. probably it will be the end of the gear box . I am currently at 87000 miles if I push this and get over 100000 miles I will be happy 

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Honda jazz 2008 Juddering solved XADO Ex120
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 06:39:27 PM »
Snake oil.

therandike

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 08:51:34 AM »
do some search on this forum. Many people have had success using EX120.  I  could not drive at all and I have driven 14000+ miles using £25 Ex120.... so how is that sneak oil. I am going to use it again and may be this time it will 8000 miles.  but by then car would well over 110000+ miles and 16 years old. so no point spending 1500+ with Honda replacing a gear box. Or second have CVT gear box that cost £500 with out knowing how long it will last. even the gear box last another 5 years, rest of the car will not 

therandike

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 08:51:57 AM »
do some search on this forum. Many people have had success using EX120.  I  could not drive at all and I have driven 14000+ miles using £25 Ex120.... so how is that sneak oil. I am going to use it again and may be this time it will 8000 miles.  but by then car would well over 110000+ miles and 16 years old. so no point spending 1500+ with Honda replacing a gear box. Or second have CVT gear box that cost £500 with out knowing how long it will last. even the gear box last another 5 years, rest of the car will not

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 01:50:27 PM »
My car had the CVT juddering problems. I flushed the CVT fluid with the Honda dealer and then added Ex120 myself.
How did it drive after the fluid flush and replace (I am assuming it was drained, refilled, run for a bit, drained and refilled again) but before you added the EX120?
One member here had a CVT, used for his driving school, which did 256,000 miles before a seal went destroying his gearbox. 110,000 miles is nothing to a Jazz.

therandike

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 02:15:09 PM »
Flushed was done at Swindon honda. They flushed it twice at the same time. Then the ex 120.
I just don't if I should add more ex 120 to the existing CVT fluid. Or I should  get new fluid and add ex120.

I know 110000 is nothing for an jazz. But for
the amount I paid I made enough use of it.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 02:32:00 PM »
Try changing the fluid and see what that does. If it doesn't sort it add your brew.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 03:49:08 PM »
Does fluid require flushing every 14000 miles?      Replacing old badly degraded fluid  can bring big improvements and adding EX120 may improve it further.  That when users tend to report good results.

But If the fluid is still relatively new and already  has Ex 120 in it  I doubt replacing it , or adding more additive  will make any significant difference.  The transmission is just getting older.       .

Could even make it worse.  There comes a point when using more additive may dilute the effects of the basic fluid.  You wouldn't fill your engine with 100% additives but no actual  oil so why do it with the transmission.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2022, 04:42:50 PM »
Not very familiar with the Jazz CVT,  the Fluid was changed,  are there any Filters for the CVT gearbox? Inside or outside the gearbox.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2022, 07:23:26 PM »
Not very familiar with the Jazz CVT,  the Fluid was changed,  are there any Filters for the CVT gearbox? Inside or outside the gearbox.
Not as far as I am aware. I had double CVT flush then refill and EX-120 2 years ago 9k miles since, still fine but will repeat process next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FBogdan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz GD CVT x 2, FR-V 1.8 i-vtec automatic Executive
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2023, 11:51:59 PM »
Hi guys!
Any feedback for long term use of Xado EX120 ?
How many miles until the judder appears again? And how many years?
I just bought a Jazz GD1 CVT with juddering issue, I've made the CVT transmission oil change, has improved a little, but now I'm wondering if another oil change will solve completely the juddering or I will throw another 100€ with no effect.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2023, 10:21:30 AM »
Save your £ it's just like Wynn's & STP was years ago.

FBogdan

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2023, 09:15:13 PM »
Save your £ it's just like Wynn's & STP was years ago.

Hi! Thanks for the advice!
I think I've found a method to fix the CVT juddering without investing anything, not even the CVT fluid if it's not too old and with too warn.
I'll experiment a little more and when I'm 100% sure it works perfectly I will post a detailed description of the process with full argumentation and physics & chemical explanations.

FBogdan

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2023, 01:26:02 PM »
Hello again!

As i promised, I will give you the process for juddering issue solving on Jazz CVT.

Situation: I bought a Jazz CVT for town traffic purpose mainly. It came with a lot of small issues, but the acquisition price was good, and I accepted the challenge to fix it. Of course, the CVT juddering was present.
Changed the CVT fluid with brand new Honda CVT-F oil and the juddering was diminished but not disappeared entirely.
After 500 Euros investment in other parts, I was starting to wonder if another 100 Euro in another fresh oil is suitable at this point, so I took on to logic, physics and chemistry to explain why and how this juddering happens.
As some of us know, the full fill of the CVT gearbox is 5.7 liters, but on service interval we need approximately 3.4-3.6 liters, so what's happening with the rest of 2.2 liters? According to physics, gravitational attraction will tend to keep the existing oil down in the different rooms inside the gearbox, so a double flush with brand new oil is indeed recommended. But what if, I can flush, filter and refill with the same oil used only for 500-600 km?
So, I took my tools, and did it and the result is a big improvement, the juddering has now decreased a lot. (specific, in my case I was having 2 juddering intervals, 1st from a stand still start and 2nd when reaching ~2000 rpms. After my DIY flush, I have only the 1st juddering at a much lower intensity).
Steps for the process (assuming you all know how to change the CVT oil, if not, go to youtube and see the tutorials):
1. Search and buy or use from home a very fine and clean filter material, with very tiny gaps between bands of the filter (you can use a pair of woman tights applied in 2 or 4). I've used both (woman tights and a purchased filter).
2. Prepare 2X a clean (or brand new) empty recipient to collect the used oil and to get the oil filtered. Minimum 4 liters capacity for a good manipulation when full.
3. Try to ensure a clean environment when you do this job....as much as possible (avoid dust, particles, water or any other debris which can contaminate the oil).
4. First clean the mess around the oil cap (brake spray, soap and water, alcohol, etc.), just make sure is completely dried before proceeding next.
5. Open the CVT oil bolt and carefully retrieve the used oil in the 1st recipient.
6. Use a clean funnel on which you apply since the beginning the filter (I've used a fuel funnel which has a filter inside and I added extra my "performance" filter homemade or bought).
7. Pour slowly and carefully the used CVT oil from the 1st recipient to the 2nd one through the improvised filter. When almost finished, pay attention at the last 50-100 ml of oil, if you see debris in it, my suggestion is to accept this minimum loss and recycle it.
8. Clean the oil magnetic bolt (use brake cleaner spray is my suggestion and leave it for 1-2 minutes to get dry). Put back the magnetic bolt and tight with medium strength (1 quarter after free tightening becomes hard with the wrench).
9. Pour back into the gearbox the filtered oil from the 2nd recipient.
10. Start the engine, press the brake and switch through every gear available (P R N D S L) and allow 5-6 seconds functioning in each of them. I think a better option is to drive for few km the car, but if you are in a hurry, switching through gears will be enough.
11. Repeat the whole process starting step 5.

You will notice at the first flush metallic debris on the magnetic bolt and also some non-metallic debris at the bottom of the 1st recipient (last drops of used oil from the 1st recipient). Also, you will see some non-metallic debris on your improvised filter. I had only 500-600 km since the oil change.
At the second flush, you will see only non-metallic debris on filter and at the bottom of the recipient, but you can clean also the bolt.
I hope this saves 100 Euro from your wallet, but you should always change the CVT fluid with brand new one (only Honda CVT-F) at maximum 40K km. From my experience with this, the new oil lasts around 3 years or max 40K km before the juddering will re-appear. I think it depends much of the climate area and usage type.
Succes!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 01:50:03 PM by FBogdan »

Tags:

anything