Author Topic: engine oil warning light  (Read 2274 times)

fatlad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 1.4 se
engine oil warning light
« on: September 14, 2022, 10:18:07 PM »
my 'check engine oil' warning light came on tonight but when i checked the level there was plenty in - almost to top mark on dipstick.
has anyone else had this issue before & if so what was it / what did you do?
'deny everything Baldrick'

E27006

• Approved Member
Re: engine oil warning light
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 05:42:32 AM »
Is the oil filter blocked or damaged?
I would try replacing it, I would not drive the car until the solution is known, it should not be be a problem to start the engine and let it idle for short periods, but keep it to a minimum. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 05:46:01 AM by E27006 »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 08:57:12 AM »
When was the oil, oil filter changed? When last serviced?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 11:04:20 AM »
Check the sensor to make sure the wire hasn't dropped off/broken.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 11:32:49 AM »
As stated could be the wire  to the sensor , or the oil  filter   . The filtration material in  oil filters, especially cheap after market ones, can sometimes  disintegrate  and quite rapidly block  one way valves in the oil filter, or travel into the engine clogging oil ways.   Reviewers have cut open cheap canister oil filters and found some contain little more than kitchen roll  tissue.

If checking the wiring doesnt fix it, change the oil and filter.  If that doesnt fix it its best to get the actual  oil pressure  checked with  a gauge.    A garage  can do this   , but if you are handy with spanners  you could buy your own oil pressure gauge   from about £13.   such as this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pressure-Tester-Engine-Adapter-100PSI/dp/B0B2CTD8XT/ref=d_pd_di_sccai_cn_sccl_3_6/261-9510790-8452649?pd_rd_w=n5hoW&content-id=amzn1.sym.28b667fc-d910-49a3-b09e-2f77aa546f69&pf_rd_p=28b667fc-d910-49a3-b09e-2f77aa546f69&pf_rd_r=PC4P8XW7HEBH4NWJD5QZ&pd_rd_wg=5oWfb&pd_rd_r=2ece557f-4647-4888-b651-edc327358668&pd_rd_i=B0B2CTD8XT&psc=1

If this independent  gauge shows a good oil pressure  the sensor on the car might be faulty.     If the oil pressure is poor   you have problems   that needs immediate attention. Could  be failed oil pump, clogged oilways in the engine etc. .  Even driving it to a garage may cause  expensive  and terminal damage to the engine.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 05:36:36 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

fatlad

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 08:50:55 PM »
just a quick update......no warning light at all today...will check oil senser wiring..

err.... where is it?

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 09:01:48 PM »
According to the manual, the switch is just above the oil filter.

http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/en/img/TF09E00A32246243461KBAD01.PNG

Manual: http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html

Section Engine - Lubrication system.

HTH
 :D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 09:25:01 PM »
Does the Mk 2 Jazz light indicate sufficient pressure or pressure and oil level? The Mk 1 only indicated pressure.
In almost 60 years of driving, I have had a few pressure sensors fail but never a catastrophic pressure loss. It is up to you whether you chance it but I would slap a new sensor in if it comes on again.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2022, 09:47:21 AM »
Glad to hear its stopped.     But if its been a while since you last  had an oil  and filter change its still  worth getting those done sooner rather than later.  Especially if a cheapo filter had been used.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2022, 11:49:54 AM »
Always love your posts LordVoltermore. Great detail, knowledge and willing to help. Brilliant.  :D

Especially if a cheapo filter had been used.

However, I woulndn't agree with you on filters. I've never used a genuine filter in my 33yrs of motoring. Always bought a known brand from a motor factors. I think my Jazz is currently enjoying a Mann filter, and I know it was Bosch before that. Mrs W's Civic has a Blue Print filter. They're all fine.

I think the key is to use a decent oil and filter, but change regularly.

Does the Mk 2 Jazz light indicate sufficient pressure or pressure and oil level? The Mk 1 only indicated pressure.
The MK2 has just an oil pressure light, or at least mine does!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2022, 12:00:07 PM »
my 'check engine oil' warning light came on tonight but when i checked the level there was plenty in - almost to top mark on dipstick.
Why I was asking was the wording of the OPs question made it look as if it indicated both pressure and level.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2022, 01:53:56 PM »
Pressure only: no facility for a float or other such sensor to read level on mine

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2022, 02:31:15 PM »
Always love your posts LordVoltermore. Great detail, knowledge and willing to help. Brilliant.  :D

However, I woulndn't agree with you on filters. I've never used a genuine filter in my 33yrs of motoring. Always bought a known brand from a motor factors. I think my Jazz is currently enjoying a Mann filter, and I know it was Bosch before that. Mrs W's Civic has a Blue Print filter. They're all fine.

I think the key is to use a decent oil and filter, but change regularly.

The MK2 has just an oil pressure light, or at least mine does!
Thanks :-[  I dont claim vast knowledge, and sometimes I am just stating the obvious. Or at least what is obvious to some.   And I will go  beyond what the  OP asked if I think it relevant and might also help others.

I agree that  after market oil  filters etc can be perfectly  serviceable.  I often use  them for air filter or cabin  filter.     And I have no objection to using a decent brand of oil filter such as Mann rather than Honda. .    As long as its the genuine article. More on this later.

A few years back, with too much time on my hands, I did a lot of research on the question of  auto spares,  oil filters in particular.  All out of date regards to specific names .  Things change very quickly.   I was amazed how many  well known brand names and their past reputation  are now owned by Chinese companies . They  exploit the reputation of the original company,  but now make them to their own quality standards.  They have the legal right to put the brand name on anything they like. Quite often the same filter will come off the same production line, where some are sold as cheap 'no name' while others are branded in a variety of defunct brand names also  owned by the company. Often they will chose whichever brand name is best known in the country they are selling to ,and of course charge more.

And thats not counting the many instances of fake branding.    I saw one Chinese wholesaler who was offering canister oil filters  for  something like 45p each. And quite openly and blatantly said if you buy 500 they will print the canister and box in any brand name you wanted.  Fair enough if it were  "Freds auto spares"  but I dont suppose they would  object if you asked for it to be branded as "Honda"   :o

And then there are  Original 'western' companies who have their products made in China or other low wage  countries.  This is fair enough  if human rights, environmental and manufacturing standards  are maintained.

And companies  who might have a reputation as original equipment quality makers for some products  who  have expanded their  range into  a variety of  products  where they have no real expertise, and dont claim they are anything other than 'after market.' quality.( If you take the trouble to check. )    Champion for instance.    Known for OE quality Spark plugs, they now  sell filters, wiper blades  etc etc, .    These may be decent enough quality,  but probably no better than others sold  without a mark up for the 'Champion 'name  (and may come from the same factory.  )

I always research the  name and buy from a reputable supplier .Reputable sellers sometimes have a 'shop' on Ebay, but  I avoid  other listings.

fatlad

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2022, 09:29:24 PM »

no its a bosch one from euro carspares & 0w20 fully synthetic triple qx oil that they recommended...

although now they dont list a bosch filter  - mahle knecht, crossland & mann only

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2022, 02:22:57 PM »

no its a bosch one from euro carspares & 0w20 fully synthetic triple qx oil that they recommended...

although now they dont list a bosch filter  - mahle knecht, crossland & mann only
Crosland filters built their reputation from making filters in Nottingham since 1955.    The original company was dissolved in the early 2000's.     They are now made in Asia, by someone who owns the rights to the name and their past reputation but can make them to their own standards.   

Croslandfilters.com refers to 'their' history from 1955  and proclaim themselves as 'one of the best filtration brands'. They are exclusively distributed by European Car parts.  (in the uk at least)  although you can get them in Halfords.  Make of that what you will.   They may be decent enough aftermarket quality,  but I wouldnt  rate them alongside  Mahle  or Mann,  who are German Filter companies that still have control over their own quality.  (even if they might actually be made elsewhere) 

I note you used Bosch  which are probably good quality. I just have this vague suspicion that they have exploited their name and reputation  to diversify into too many product types . .At one time  I would have no qualms about buying Bosch power tools etc  but I now carefully consider alternatives.

Tags:

anything