Author Topic: Repairs - damanged front suspension and steering arm  (Read 777 times)

krist0ph3r

• Registered Member
    • krist0ph3r.com
  • My Honda: 1.4 Manual 2004 5 Door
Repairs - damanged front suspension and steering arm
« on: September 11, 2022, 01:03:05 AM »
So my Jazz MK1 (2004) met with a bit of a "bender" about a month ago. It was an impact to the front right corner. Unfortunately I had cheaped out on insurance (3rd party only) and it was a hit-and-run (I didn't have my dash-cam installed - the power adapter for the camera arrived literally the day after the accident  :'( ), so I have to organize and pay for repairs myself. A mechanic who lives nearby came over the other day and had a look to assess the damage. Besides cosmetic/bodywork, the primary damage as per his assessment is a bent suspension arm and a snapped steering arm. He said it's fixable but he can't be sure of the cost until the work is carried out.

Does anyone have an idea of how much these repairs should come to? Don't want to be spending over £500 on parts (he's reasonable when it comes to labour so I'm not too concerned).

Also, the bumper had to be taken off as it was hanging off the left corner after the accident and the car couldn't be moved forward - the towing guy just pulled it off, but I'm not sure if he damaged it in the process. Does anyone have a photo of a front bumper in good condition so I can check all the mount points?

Not sure if a photo of the car would help, but here it is anyway:

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Repairs - damanged front suspension and steering arm
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 10:05:20 AM »
hard luck, I would nip along to the local breakers yard & ask them for any Jazz Mk1's or keep a look out for you. You know the used parts will fit & will be quicker than hnting around on Fleabay.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 11:12:53 AM »
So my Jazz MK1 (2004) met with a bit of a "bender" about a month ago. It was an impact to the front right corner. Unfortunately I had cheaped out on insurance (3rd party only) and it was a hit-and-run (I didn't have my dash-cam installed - the power adapter for the camera arrived literally the day after the accident  :'( ), so I have to organize and pay for repairs myself. A mechanic who lives nearby came over the other day and had a look to assess the damage. Besides cosmetic/bodywork, the primary damage as per his assessment is a bent suspension arm and a snapped steering arm. He said it's fixable but he can't be sure of the cost until the work is carried out.

Does anyone have an idea of how much these repairs should come to? Don't want to be spending over £500 on parts (he's reasonable when it comes to labour so I'm not too concerned).

Also, the bumper had to be taken off as it was hanging off the left corner after the accident and the car couldn't be moved forward - the towing guy just pulled it off, but I'm not sure if he damaged it in the process. Does anyone have a photo of a front bumper in good condition so I can check all the mount points?

Not sure if a photo of the car would help, but here it is anyway:

What I would do is have a look at Hinda's online parts breakdown.
(Having done the job on my wife's 2003 Yaris) assume that any plastic fixings used to hold on the frornt wing/bonnet are scrap and budget fr replacements (I bought used ex ebay)
Take photos of your own - and use to check breaker's cars for damage.or ebay for correct parts.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 03:24:22 PM »
I mean no offence here, but sometimes when folk repair cars  using parts taken from another car  they find the donor car  is actually better than their own in some respects  and end up repairing that instead. 
A scrap yard might sell a whole car for not much more than the parts  , especially if it takes them time to remove them. 

There are many reasons why you may not be able ,or want to do this. But if you have the the space and able to provide temporary funds  dont dismiss the idea of  buying a whole car .   and getting some of your money back selling whats left over  as parts.

Some parts are quite easy to remove, store and post but can fetch good money when sold individually on ebay etc. Then you scrap whats left. 

Too late now  but when my wife insured a 2007 Yaris she found some companies  quoted the same price for Fully comprehensive as third party.  But probably not for younger drivers.   They would probably write it off  any way and you may not have got as much  as you hoped to buy a replacement.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 03:30:29 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: