Author Topic: HV Battery indicator occasionally showing 10  (Read 3280 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: HV Battery indicator occasionally showing 10
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2022, 09:46:32 AM »
Yep, whenever I want a silent getaway in the wee small hours I powerup and instantly turn the heating off via the left hand button.

That almost always kills the engine.
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2022, 10:19:07 AM »
Did you have the cabin heating turned on? This will force the engine to keep running when the battery is well charged. Irrespective of the charge in the HV battery a cold engine will run on initial starting until it has reached operating temperature. Running the cabin heating adds to this run time while the car tries to get the cabin to operating temperature (enabling ECO mode reduces but does not eliminate this problem).

Bringing the engine up to operating temperature and bringing the cabin to the desired temperature by means of heating and/or air conditioning I do not see as a problem, but as something necessary. Even if as a result (also) the HV battery is fully charged (about 80%).
And yes... that might cost a few extra drops of liquid gold...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2022, 11:28:00 AM »

Powered up ....... cards on table, it only rose to 5 bars.

Oh well, failed this time.
Sorry, not sure what you mean.  The CTEK would indicate the state of charge with the 12V battery  but once its fully charged  can you expect  that further 12v  charging will now top up the HV battery?

Its possible the HV battery might show more bars during the procedure. I have found  it can sometimes temporarily show more bars when its only been sitting overnight.     I thought this  is just  superficial surface charging,  that might affect the bar  readings, but will disappear almost immediately in use. !2v lead acid batteries show a similar temporary false reading soon after charging so maybe HV batteries do too.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2022, 11:36:10 AM »
I fully realise that the CTEK only charges the 12v battery, but, on previous full CTEK charges I've noticed at the next powerup the display rising to 10 bars.

I know it's illogical, I'm just posting what has happened before.

Maybe the battery meter runs off a sensor that reads both batteries somehow ?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2022, 02:40:18 PM »
I've been and gone and done it.   Just received one of these   power pack car starters .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374248057779   It arrived next day.  But it  is bright yellow. I was expecting black.  No biggie, it will be easier to find  ;D

I haven't yet started a car using it, and hope I never  have to.  But I have checked that the  heavy duty 12 volt terminals give 12 volts.   It claims to be able to jump  start conventional  cars so I am confident it will cope easily  with just initiating the HV start up procedure  ???

I justified it to myself as it can  also charge  phones, camera batteries etc  when on  a long walk in the wilds.  And has a torch function    It weighs less than my phone, and about the same size,apart from being 20 mm (3/4 inch) thick.  Easily kept in the car or pocket etc.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 02:42:03 PM by Lord Voltermore »

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2022, 05:01:52 PM »
I charged the 12V for the first time with an intelligent charger overnight, was on trickle next morning, HV battery on 5.

I haven't done any long journeys yet and have yet to see a 10, because of a lot of setting up the car on idle my displayed mpg is 56 so far from short journeys.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2022, 05:02:17 AM »
Mine only went to 5 on my last CTEK charge.

But, considering it started out on 3 before I connected the CTEK it does seem to interact with the sensor somehow. Or does it filter through and give the HV a tiny boost ?

Just guessing.

Mark Dirac

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk 4 2021
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2022, 07:12:51 PM »
Easily kept in the car or pocket etc.
You'll need to find a way to remind yourself to top it up every 6 months or so. If you allow it to discharge it will be ruined, and then when you need it to boost your car battery which is also discharged ...

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2022, 06:22:03 AM »
On a recent Car SOS one mechanic said that a standing battery sulphates with non use and they showed a CTEK on the bench.

I'm considering using my CTEK weekly if the car is unused as it has a desulphation stage.

Update: After looking at the advice from CTEK's site once a month is sufficient.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 10:46:39 AM by Kremmen »

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2022, 09:51:46 AM »
A bit off topic:
The battery on my motorbike has completely discharged. My Smart charger will not charge it! I've just bought a second hand old style trickle charger that I believe will work.
Neil Ives

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2022, 10:16:07 AM »
...I've noticed 10 bars a lot more frequently in the last couple of months.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2022, 10:30:42 AM »
...I've noticed 10 bars a lot more frequently in the last couple of months.
The ones with the cheapest beer ? ;D

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2022, 11:41:43 AM »
I'm considering using my CTEK weekly if the car is unused as it has a desulphation stage.

Update: After looking at the advice from CTEK's site once a month is sufficient.

With current energy prices? That will be an expensive battery... ;D
If nothing goes right, go left!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2022, 12:38:37 PM »
This was part of my reasoning for buying a power pack starter.   Normally I drive often enough to keep the 12v battery charged from the HV battery. But if by chance its unattended for long enough for the 12v battery to go flat  I have the powerpack as a back up for starting. It doesnt prevent any sulphating damage that might occur in the meantime   but at least I dont have to remember to get the CTEK out every month,which for me means faffing around with a long extension lead, and might not be possible if its in a  car park etc.

Thats assuming I remember to keep the power pack charged!   :-[ Its charged by usb, so I could top it up as and when I remember on a journey. And would check its charged  if  a downtime is  anticipated. It has a state of charge indicator and can last 6 months but they recommend charging every 3 months.. I can cope with that.

Just a thought . I sometimes have  a conventional powerpack on me for my camera equipment. It actually charges stuff quicker than a mains charger.  I could partially charge the starter pack with that  , and in the worst case scenario even partially charge either with my phone. (leaving enough power to phone for help when my cunning plan proves to be nonsense.)

Like the song  'Dem bones' . "The iphones connected  to the power pack, the power packs connected to starter  pack, the starter packs connected to the battery packs,the battery pack is connected to the HV battery pack..."   (Actually its an android phone but that doesnt rhyme . ;D)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 02:32:26 PM by Lord Voltermore »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2022, 01:04:04 PM »
I'm fortunate to have my 12v sort of hardwired and when parked, in the garage, the CTEK is wall mounted and only inches from the battery.

Takes about a minute to connect as it's just a plug and no clips.

Tags: