Author Topic: Fuel pump screen filter  (Read 742 times)

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
Fuel pump screen filter
« on: September 07, 2022, 08:25:11 PM »
Has anybody ever changed fuel filter? I've noticed some symptoms that could be attributed to dirty one so decided to change it.
Ordered this:
https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-jazz-fuel-filter-2009-2015/

It arrives and I realise there's one small part missing that I have noticed on some instructional videos, it's the little sock screen filter that's clipped on the bottom of the pump.
Few google queries later, I find possible suspect as part number 17516-SAA-000, coxmotor says those are only for MK1 2002-2008... I am baffled. Really don't fancy taking it out just to notice there is something I'm missing.

My current working theory would be that this small screen bit will come as a part of the whole new pump assembly at £369. Why the hell would they call that bracket set for £60 a fuel filter then?

Can anybody confirm that I need this? Attached photo of mystery filter.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Fuel pump screen filter
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 05:23:33 PM »
What a palaver.   :o   The videos  dont seem to address the elephant in the room that they are  replacing the whole fuel pump,  but without apparently replacing that  thing  that looks like a coffee filter.
These are available separately  but seems to cost almost as much as the highly complex  fuel pump. !

The clue I think is in on the cox brothers page.    - here is a paste.
The suction filter removes large dirt and the fuel is then sucked into the fuel pump. The fuel is then filtered again by the fuel filter before being fed to the engine fuel injectors.

It seems there is a  secondary filter  in the fuel pump that is likely to be the one that actually clogs and causes problems.  This presumably can only be cured by replacing  the whole unit. 

I think the  ' coffee bag' filter  is what Cox's refer  to as the suction filter, which prefilters any major muck from the fuel tank.   . It wouldnt be good workshop practice just to replace this filter, but not the pump unit.  But its possible the  suction filter doesnt normally get very dirty (although it did look quite dirty in one of the Videos.)   Its not a fine filter and would need to be quite heavily contaminated before there was any significant restriction to fuel flow. . Its odd that the kit includes  replacment seals and clips  but not the suction filter .  It may be sufficient just to inspect its condition and maybe wash it out. Honda may have decided not to fit one  on later models.   (  -The bodger in me noticed its similarity to a covid face mask  ;)  ;D  )

To be on the safe side you could buy one on a sale or return basis in case you need it.     

« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 05:44:46 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

FordPrefect8

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 01:04:27 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts LV, I have called in the meantime local Honda dealership who was also equally surprised.
It seems like the only way to replace suction filter is to get the whole pump unit at £369  :o

They also insist that secondary filter is in the plastic housing of fuel pump bracket, I shall have a teardown once I replace it.
To get prepared I ordered few of those strainers from aliexpress at £3 cost rather than £40-50 we get in UK, just have to wait for the slowboat.

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 10:52:00 AM »
Looking at my copy of Chilton's workshop manual (for the Fit) am surprised that there does not appear to be an in-line filter.

All my recent cars have had a canister filter in the fuel line, and usually have mileage schedule for replacement.

My Mk.4 VW Golf had a fueling problem so removed the pump (which looked similar to that in the Honda) from the tank. That had a rigid, coarse mesh plastic filter which would have only prevented larger particles being drawn in. There was no sign of any debris in the bottom of the tank, which was internally completely clean and clear of any contamination.

There was also an in-line canister filter mounted near the rear axle (which I changed).

Long story short - there was no fuel blockage. Turned out to be corrosion of electrical terminals where the cables plugged into the CPU.

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 11:16:29 AM »
it's the same system as the Civic 8G and I've done 2 of those.
You don't need to replace that tea bag. Just wash it out in petrol if you think it is dirty.
We seem to have plastic fuel tanks which don't shed rusty bits to clog it.

The real filter is in the cartridge element that you have ordered and looks identical to the Civic one.

If you want to see how to swap it then watch this video, just ignore the parts on how to get to it as this is a Civic 

Tags: