Author Topic: HR-V and new Civic drive train.  (Read 354 times)

Expatman

• Approved Member
HR-V and new Civic drive train.
« on: August 18, 2022, 02:12:27 PM »
Road tests off the new Civic have praised the quiet, smooth continuity of the drive train with no comments about the “mooing” that bedevilled reviews of the HR-V. This seems to be due to the 2.0L engine and electric motor integration. if it is so good one can only wonder if it will find its way into the HR-V at some stage. Better on-road performance without the engine noise every road tester complains about - even if owners claim it is not an issue.

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
Re: HR-V and new Civic drive train.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 07:12:46 PM »
I currently have a Jazz Crosstar but recently test drove the new Civic. I didn’t floor the accelerator but managed very rapid progress in Sport mode without the engine screaming. It did pipe fake gear change noises through the car stereo speakers though! The power to weight ratio must be significantly greater than HR-V so this probably explains why.

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 05:15:04 PM »
I currently have a Jazz Crosstar but recently test drove the new Civic. I didn’t floor the accelerator but managed very rapid progress in Sport mode without the engine screaming. It did pipe fake gear change noises through the car stereo speakers though! The power to weight ratio must be significantly greater than HR-V so this probably explains why.
So, was it a lot quieter under “rapid progress” than your Crosstar under the same “rapid progress” conditions?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 06:24:43 AM »
I don't understand the fake gear changes coming through the speakers.

I prefer silence if possible.
Let's be careful out there !

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 06:43:37 PM »
I don't understand the fake gear changes coming through the speakers.

I prefer silence if possible.
+1

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 08:39:50 AM »
I see the Civic as being optimised for faster driving, hence the larger engine which can probably use direct drive at 70mph but will be less efficient in slower conditions when the engine is lightly loaded.

Tags: