Author Topic: A positive input for the dash cam?  (Read 2218 times)

guest11056

A positive input for the dash cam?
« on: March 18, 2022, 06:09:30 PM »
Hi,

I've bought a camera that, when connected directly to the battery, provides 24/7 surveillance (they say).
I don't want to burn anything now, so where to get a positive pole? The instructions provided by the dealer only mention to use the fuse box, and the + cable connector has a fuse like input, but I assume I can't just stick in in any free slot :)

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Re: A positive input for the dash cam?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 06:22:13 PM »
To enable 24/7 recording you will need a hardwiring kit with both a switched live and a permanent live feed with a device that allows switching off recording when the voltage falls below a pre-set level to avoid flattening the battery. Most dashcam brands offer their own kits.
If you only have one positive feed wire this should be connected to a switched live fuse position in your fusebox, this will allow recording only with ignition on.
If you connect this to a permanently live circuit you will flatten your battery fairly quickly.
Unless you know exactly what you are dealing with I would suggest obtaining professional help.

guest11056

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 07:02:38 PM »
you will need a hardwiring kit with both a switched live and a permanent live feed with a device that allows switching off recording when the voltage falls below a pre-set level to avoid flattening the battery
Yes, I have that. They call it a 'buck line' on the product page.
What I am trying to find out is where to plug the positive cable. Somewhere in the fuse box, according to the instructions, but where exactly.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 04:40:42 AM »
You need to be very careful with hardwiring dashcams.

They can very easily flatten a battery to a point where it won't crank the starter.

What some have done on the dashcam forum is put a powerbank into the equation. That provides 24x7 power and gets charged when the ignition is on.

Depending on dashcam manufacturer the parking mode works in different ways.

Some have an internal battery that allows the cam to be in hibernate and will wake when motion is detected.
Some use the 3 wire solution using the cars battery and have a voltage cutoff to stop the car battery discharging too far.

All recent Hondas have an 'option connector' socket and if possible that should be used. It's independent from any other circuits and provides uninterrupted power.
The snag is the option connector plug is difficult to source.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything