Author Topic: Hi from London  (Read 1611 times)

Mikeoc

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Contemplating Jazz Crosstar
Hi from London
« on: January 24, 2022, 10:01:22 AM »

Hello from London, I’m contemplating a Jazz as a good all-rounder, need a car with a smaller footprint (currently have a 5dr Mini Cooper which is perfect), I value economy, practicality, and performance fairly equally, so waiting on a test drive to see how the Jazz drives - not expecting it to compete with the mini, but still would like a bit of oomph - on motorways, once I’m in position, I just tend to switch to cruise control and enjoy the drive (accordingly I typically get around 50mpg in the Mini on the motorway, which is pretty good). Have watched a lot of YouTube videos on motorways and acceleration and feel I know what to expect, but obviously need that test drive and then see what I think.

I’m super interested in fuel economy on motorway trips, as we drive over to Germany a fair bit, usually in my partner’s Tesla but I need my own wheels and can’t justify another one of them, and wouldn’t contemplate the journey in a non-Tesla EV just yet. So for now, on paper, a Jazz feels like it could be a good fit for the next 3 years or so. The internal space for cargo with the magic seats is pretty amazing!

Gravitating to the Crosstar for aesthetics, but shame about the lack of reversing camera (allegedly) and blind spot monitor.

This forum has been great for helping to formulate my opinions thus far 🙏

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Hi from London
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 10:06:22 AM »
Gravitating to the Crosstar for aesthetics, but shame about the lack of reversing camera (allegedly) and blind spot monitor.
Welcome. Why not save a bit of money and get a nearly new one which should have the camera.

Mikeoc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 10:14:22 AM »
I have previously always paid cash for new or nearly new cars, but I decided the most tax efficient way from now onwards is to do it through my business from April, so it would be a 3yr BCH, new order.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 11:40:22 AM »
Looking at your posted requirements and driving style I would strongly recommend a test drive.

I've made 2 previous errors by assuming instead of driving.

Error 1 going from a Xantia to a Citroen C5, the suspension was rock hard at the rear and far from the Xantia magic carpet ride.

Error 2 getting a Civic iShift that was advertised as an auto.
Let's be careful out there !

Mikeoc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 12:44:59 PM »
Definitely trying before buying - and will be taking it on the motorway too - then have a good old think ;D

guest9236

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 02:08:57 PM »
Definitely trying before buying - and will be taking it on the motorway too - then have a good old think ;D
A very sensible idea, hope things work out for you please let us know the outcome in due course.
Good luck.

DWJazz2021

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX (Gen4)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 08:16:38 PM »
I moved from a bigger car to the Jazz. From the outside it still looks small but in London you (like me) will appreciate getting into the smaller parking spaces (street and car park), on the road however (inside) it actually doesn’t feel small, and with EX trim it feels great to drive (inc the car play features, I’m very impressed).

For oomf on the motorway, it keeps up with your foot down, there is a noticeable difference with Eco mode off - much nippier

However along our choked London roads (eco) let the car take you smoothly along, feel EV kick in silently, not half bad audio (CarPlay is enhanced vs standard DAB) and relax with Break Hold at the lights

And it’s just won What Car Small Car of the Year 2022

PS  I’d still go with EX model as it has BLIS (blind spot monitoring), which is a godsend on the Mway

Mikeoc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 09:51:47 PM »
Thanks for the eco mode tips, sounds like great advice. I really do want BLIS, as a motorcycle rider myself I feel like I have a near miss most days  :-\ But I really do prefer the look of the Crosstar hmmm. I’ve been reading up on issues with sourcing tyres for the Crosstar too, whereas the EX has many more options (would need winter tyres or all seasons for German winters). Looking forward to that test drive!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 05:43:00 AM »
I also downsized from a 9G Civic to the Jazz as I didn't need the larger newer Civics.

The only difference I've noticed is the smaller boot. The Jazz is definitely a Tardis.
Let's be careful out there !

Mikeoc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 08:41:10 AM »
I do gravitate towards bigger cars, had a Freelander previously, a C4 Spacetourer and a vintage VW T2 bus  :-*, but since dropping to smaller cars (Fiat 500 twin air, Mini Cooper), I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the ease and agility of them driving and parking in London (I work in healthcare and do home visits one day a week). We also have a Mercedes Sprinter which were converting into a camper van, now THAT is big!! 

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 08:19:32 PM »
Hello and welcome. :)

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 07:09:13 AM »
the all round visibility improvement will be a great improvement for you over the mini amongst many other benefits. Your urban driving mpg will be very good.

Tags:

anything