Author Topic: Catalytic  (Read 2137 times)

JudeH

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
Catalytic
« on: January 04, 2022, 09:45:30 AM »
Hello

I have joined this forum to ask a question about my Honda.  I have a Honda Jazz registration OV60DUY & live in an area where catalytic converters are being stolen daily. Last year  I bought something to protect it online but the guy in the garage said it was the wrong thing.
I just called a Honda dealership & they said that this is an older make - 2010? & very rarely has the converter stolen as it is in a different location.  I wonder if this is correct but also if I should still protect it.
I need my car & couldn’t afford for it to be damaged if the converter is stolen. Any advice would be appreciated.  I’m not very technical so if you think I should protect the car any advice on exactly what I should but would be great.
Thanks so much. Happy New Year! 

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Catalytic
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 10:03:31 AM »
Hello

I have joined this forum to ask a question about my Honda.  I have a Honda Jazz registration OV60DUY & live in an area where catalytic converters are being stolen daily. Last year  I bought something to protect it online but the guy in the garage said it was the wrong thing.
I just called a Honda dealership & they said that this is an older make - 2010? & very rarely has the converter stolen as it is in a different location.  I wonder if this is correct but also if I should still protect it.
I need my car & couldn’t afford for it to be damaged if the converter is stolen. Any advice would be appreciated.  I’m not very technical so if you think I should protect the car any advice on exactly what I should but would be great.
Thanks so much. Happy New Year!

Your 60 reg MK2 Jazz is OK,  it has the CAT tucked up behind the engine and in any case the newer CAT is less attractive to steal as it has  a lot less precious metal inside than the older MK1 type.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Matmoo

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz GE 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 07:23:08 PM »
Hi Jude.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the GE Jazz's are vulnerable to cat theft. The catalytic converter isn't as accessable as the first version of the Jazz but it can still be stolen. I know from personal experience. I too was under the assumption that it was only the GD Jazz's that were a target. My advise would be to sell the original and use that money to buy an eBay one and get a garage to put some protection on it.
Even though the eBay one isn't as valuable, a dozy thief may have done some costly damage before the realise, hopefully a cat-cage or similar may be enough to put them off from even trying.
Hope this is of some help.

Keekster71

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 01:24:55 PM »
It could be stolen but it’s a lot harder. When they steal them they cut through the exhaust pipe front and rear of the cat with a battery powered grinder. But with the second gen jazz, the cat is so far forward that you can’t get a grinder on the front pipe cause it’s behind the engine. You would have to cut through the cat itself, which is far harder and would take much longer to do.
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was never meant that we should venture far." H P Lovecraft

Peter Southon

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2015 honda Jazz ex
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 03:02:51 PM »
Hi  I am new to the forum This worries me also I have a 2015 EX jazz  my local garage said even if you put a catloc or simalar device on the car if they want it they will cause more damage to the car !! not sure what to do Any ideas ??

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 03:12:12 PM »
See the thread above and also lots of similar threads on the forum.
It's only the mk1 Jazzes (up to 2008) which are particularly prone to cat theft.
In subsequent versions the cat is harder to access.
Don't worry.

MiniNinjaRob

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Jazz EX 1.4
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 08:35:33 PM »
From experience of trying to get to the cat on my car I can confirm even with the car jacked up it’s very difficult to reach by hand never mind get anywhere near it with an angle grinder or saw. It’s behind the engine and an absolute pig to get to!!!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 07:21:36 AM »
My advise would be to sell the original and use that money to buy an eBay one and get a garage to put some protection on it.

I'd have thought advertising expensive original Cat converters on ebay  would have a downside.  Some new thieves might realise just  how much money can be made by stealing them  (or cause damage trying)   .
You could get a visit from police enquiring where you got it from  (probably not these days >:( )   or irate Jazz owners,  convinced you are selling the one  that was stolen from their car.

I dont think later cars are particularly at risk  and this will be reflected in insurance premiums.    My advice would be to make sure you have good insurance cover   , and dont tell them the car is normally garaged overnight if its not. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2022, 11:28:39 AM »
See the thread above and also lots of similar threads on the forum.
It's only the mk1 Jazzes (up to 2008) which are particularly prone to cat theft.
In subsequent versions the cat is harder to access.
Don't worry.

There's just been a post on Civinfo about a 2012 Jazz.

It seems that his wife's 2012 Jazz had it's 'expensive underbody' cat stolen and the dealer said it has 2 cats. A cheap one in the engine bay and the expensive one underneath.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2022, 02:54:57 PM »
Must have been a drug dealer. This is the exhaust system for a 2012 Jazz with one cat close to the manifold.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 03:14:08 PM »
Thanks J, that's why I asked, here's the post

From 2008, no Honda didn't put the expensive catalytic converter up in the engine bay out of the way, the just added the 'cheap' one up top at the rear of the engine and left the most expensive one right at the bottom as an easy peasy target for scumbag thieves to merrily chop off. My wife found out to her dismay in an empty town centre car park as she left work and went to go and start up her 2012 Jazz.

What did the police do about it? Nothing. The thefts are still going on in the SAME car park. They prefer to go after easy targets instead.

Anyway I fixed the issue by not bothering fitting a secondary catalytic converter. It now has a link pipe instead. If there's no catalytic converter there, they can't nick it, problem solved.

Let's be careful out there !

Tags: