Author Topic: Changes to the Highway Code.  (Read 8672 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Changes to the Highway Code.
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2022, 09:20:08 AM »
Luckily the Highway code is not the law.... 8)

If any Highway code rule says 'must not' it is defacto the law,  and any highway code rule broken will go against you if it comers to court.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2022, 10:00:13 AM »
There must be dozens of Highway code rules broken every day by millions of drivers, they are too numerous to list.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2022, 10:25:03 AM »
There must be dozens of Highway code rules broken every day by millions of drivers, they are too numerous to list.

Many laws are broken in UK every day,  but it only becomes a problem for you if you get caught !  The thing is that if you have broken a 'must not' highway code rule and caused an accident or just been unlucky enough to have been spotted by the police it will not go well.  Many cyclists especially the cycling mafia in coloured lycra have headcams now,  and have taken it upon themselves to be cycling vigilanties, going out of their way to film and report wayward motorists to the police for the slighted transgression.  The problem I have is that cyclists carry no sign of identity that can be traced ( like the large numberplate on a vehicle ) so are very hard to report with any success even if they are caught on dashcam doing illegal and stupid things, a cycle is also capable of traveling at a fair old speed and the way cyclists weave among pedestrians, with no warning of their approach is stupidity, I have not seen a horn or bell on a bicycle for may years now, nor rear-view mirrors.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 10:40:48 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jeff15

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2022, 11:49:14 AM »
I have used dashcams in my vehicles for a few years now, just in case anyone tries to take the mick.....

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2022, 12:12:03 PM »
I have used dashcams in my vehicles for a few years now, just in case anyone tries to take the mick.....

So have I - but how do you trace a cyclist that does something wrong, they have no means of ID ?  There seems to be no middle way with cvclists where lights are concerned - either none at all or high powered strobes that can blind you at 50 paces.  Cyclists really do seem to consider Highway code is irrelevant to them, and to 'empower them' against motorists by use of the highway code is proper ironic.

Jeff15

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2022, 12:47:34 PM »
Since cyclists seem to think they own the road they should be taxed like most other road users

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2022, 01:39:50 PM »
The idea behind the changes is simple: protect vulnerable road users. These rules already apply in most European countries.
An "encounter" of a car/van/truck with a pedestrian or cyclist ends in some scratches or a dent for the motorized road user. The pedestrian or cyclist often gets off less well: for them it can just end up in a hospital (or a coffin)...

But now the real problem: every game has its rules. That also applies to the "game" in this topic: traffic. If everyone adheres to the rules of the game, it will be fine. There will be no "encounters".
If some of the participants of the game (consciously or unconsciously) break the rules, things go wrong and there is a risk of "encounters".
When I look around me from behind the wheel of our car, sitting on my bicycle saddle or walking in our beautiful city, I unfortunately see that many road users either do not know the rules of the game or violate them consciously or unconsciously.
And let's be honest: it's not just cyclists and pedestrians who are the offenders...
If nothing goes right, go left!

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2022, 01:54:52 PM »
I have not seen a horn or bell on a bicycle for may years now, nor rear-view mirrors.

The requirements were removed several years ago. No idea why.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2022, 02:39:24 PM »
I have not seen a horn or bell on a bicycle for may years now, nor rear-view mirrors.

So, the answer to the knock-knock, 'Isabel neccessary on a bicycle?' is no.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 02:41:01 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Cyclewalkbob

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2022, 03:19:44 PM »
Let’s just be careful guys. I am a car driver and a cyclist who has lights, camera, mirrors and a bell on their bikes.

Why do I do this, to be honest I have been forced to as my wife and I have been subject to many close passes and in case of my wife road rage when on her bike and trying to turn right across a very busy road.

When I do get to chat with the driver I try to remind them that the worst I can do to him in an accident is I might scratch their paintwork, whilst they could kill me in a one ton machine.

Let us all get on together on the road, yes there are some idiot cyclists, just as there are some idiot drivers.

Just a reminder should you drive in most European countries, and we have cycled in many off them, automatically the onus is on the car driver to prove they had not caused the accident with a pedestrian or cyclist. This creates a general safer environment on the road. Just don’t cycle in France after lunch!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2022, 03:37:20 PM »

So, the answer to the knock-knock, 'Isabel neccessary on a bicycle?' is no.

Necessary? In my view yes!
Take a look at my bike in the picture in my post https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=14216.msg114324#msg114324 .
The rear-view mirror is clearly visible, to see the bell one needs hawk eyes, but is visible, the small (but LOUD) black roundish thing above the brake lever, just to the right of the handlebar bag.The lighting is a strong battery LED lamp, positioned just below the handlebar bag, so that the bag shields light that shines upwards and could dazzle.

So it means that (that few...) responsible cyclists (like me...  :P) really have (and use) a bell, rear-view mirror and decent bike lighting. Of course also a red rear light and reflective strips on the tires, so that I am clearly visible from aside.
If nothing goes right, go left!

nowster

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2022, 05:21:46 PM »
Some of the bike bells out there are a bit weedy. I have heard some (when out running) that sound like a notification ting sound on a phone.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2022, 06:52:51 PM »
I had a Soonhua extra loud bicycle horn/siren on my bike. As loud as a car horn but still not loud enough for joggers with their buds in their ears.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2022, 09:11:52 PM »
I can see some rear end shunts as vehicles have to brake sharply when a pedestrian or cyclist decides to use their new power.

I think this is being over-thought. If I’m turning into a junction then I’m looking for hazards at the turn, and I’m  indicating and braking anyway so anyone behind has ample warning. Nothing new there. And if I’m the following vehicle, then I try to drive as if I’m expecting the vehicle ahead to stop suddenly anyway. So nothing new there either. If others don’t drive like that, well, that’s their problem.

[Quote from deleted post removed by Admin]

Better to avoid creating a situation in the first place then be deemed in the right in the collision.

I've seen two collisions and been involved in one myself where the chain of events was kicked-off by someone up front choosing to stop to let someone out (not the same as reacting to someone pulling out - that's different). In one instance I was one of the stationary cars that got hit from behind. In one of the collisions I witnessed, an overtaking biker - hidden from view by the car that had stopped - was struck by the emerging vehicle and knocked off his motorbike and tossed up in the air and along the road.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 09:17:02 PM by RichardA »

nowster

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2022, 10:14:15 PM »
I had a Soonhua extra loud bicycle horn/siren on my bike. As loud as a car horn but still not loud enough for joggers with their buds in their ears.

I use bone conduction headphones which don't block my ears.

Tags: