Author Topic: WhatCar Review  (Read 1895 times)

Expatman

• Approved Member
WhatCar Review
« on: November 23, 2021, 02:31:56 PM »
Comparative review against Nissan Qashqai in Jan issue. Inevitably their only/major complaint was "horribly coarse engine noise". There seems to be a real divergence of reviewers now, many agree with WhatCar that excessive engine noise is awful yet other reviewers don't make a major point of engine noise. I suspect it's all down to how you drive the car - sensibly or rally driver style.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: WhatCar Review
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 02:50:11 PM »
Spot on.

If you drive sensibly then the engine revs are just sufficient to charge the battery pack. If you floor it then the engine will rev higher to assist drive.
Let's be careful out there !

Bazzzer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 09:20:06 PM »
Surely, if a tester didn't floor it occasionally, he wouldn't be able to comment on engine noise.  If you don't try things, you are hardly being effective as a tester.  Not everyone drives in slippers.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 10:00:03 PM »
It took me a little time to get used to driving the Jazz. Flooring the accelerator doesn't really achieve very much more than make noise. With moderate throttle, the car is quick, (enough for me) and quiet.
Neil Ives

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 10:38:19 PM »
Surely, if a tester didn't floor it occasionally, he wouldn't be able to comment on engine noise.  If you don't try things, you are hardly being effective as a tester.  Not everyone drives in slippers.
Completely agree that tester has to floor it occasionally to check the performance, noise etc.  However, the road tester must surely adjust his overall testing style and conclusions to match the customers the car is intended for?
Otherwise it’s like testing a sports car then complaining it has little luggage space or room for families.

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 07:20:06 AM »
Seems that, in an article today from What Car, the Jazz is judged to be best in its class (small car category):

https://www.whatcar.com/news/revealed-the-best-cars-in-every-class-revealed-%E2%80%93-and-the-worst/n23804#2

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 01:44:23 PM »
New Kia Niro unveiled and it would seem to be a real competitor to the HR-V. Design looks much better than existing dull Niro, will have to wait for further details but will be available as ICE, hybrid, PHEV and full EV.
Worth looking at anyway before committing?

Tags:

anything