Author Topic: I Have a Civic.  (Read 1864 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
I Have a Civic.
« on: November 09, 2021, 03:18:01 PM »
I have bought a Civic, an 07 1.8 SE i-Shift. It is in excellent nick with 70K miles, only two lady owners and a full service record. There is no record of the longer term items like coolant or transmission oil being changed but that is quite common, workshops don't look that far in the book including Honda dealers. The transmission oil is being changed
tomorrow at a Honda dealer so the car will get its customary 'safety check' looking for work.
The i-Shift transmission is not as bad as I have heard, when warmed up it changes gear smoothly, a bit like a driver changing gear manually, yes you are aware of every change but it's not intrusive. The car is quick as it's a 1.8.
It has a space saver spare wheel but the stowage is big enough for a full size wheel so I am getting a steel wheel as a spare and putting the one odd tyre out of the four on that, replaced by a matching new one. Oddly it doesn't have a security wheel nut but five normal nuts, nobody steels alloy wheels any more, do they?

Vic.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: I Have a Civic.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 03:26:53 PM »
My first Civic was an 07 iShift. The less said about that ....... but it is a Marmite box.

I hope you have a good one. I'm surprised a full size wheel fits in the well and the lid closes?

Maybe see you on Civinfo
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 04:05:12 PM »
I have bought a Civic, an 07 1.8 SE i-Shift. It is in excellent nick with 70K miles, only two lady owners and a full service record. There is no record of the longer term items like coolant or transmission oil being changed but that is quite common, workshops don't look that far in the book including Honda dealers. The transmission oil is being changed
tomorrow at a Honda dealer so the car will get its customary 'safety check' looking for work.
The i-Shift transmission is not as bad as I have heard, when warmed up it changes gear smoothly, a bit like a driver changing gear manually, yes you are aware of every change but it's not intrusive. The car is quick as it's a 1.8.
It has a space saver spare wheel but the stowage is big enough for a full size wheel so I am getting a steel wheel as a spare and putting the one odd tyre out of the four on that, replaced by a matching new one. Oddly it doesn't have a security wheel nut but five normal nuts, nobody steels alloy wheels any more, do they?

Vic.

Just be aware that the wheel well in the 2006 to 2012 Civic looks big enough for a full size spare, and if you measure it it is big enough and deep enough,  but behind rear seats there is a piece of metal that overhangs the front of wheel well, that bit of metal means you have to try to get the full size wheel in at an angle,  and the diagonal is too big, so as you try to drop the rear bit of the wheel it is an 'interference fit' and the tyre will not go past the top rear of wheel well. The only way I could figure to get it in was to loose most of the air out of tyre and shoehorn it into wheel well - so I ended up with a spacesaver  >:(

Alloy rims are so common these days nobody nicks them,  all our cars just have normal wheelnuts on them.

The Civic is quick and lovely to drive - I love the high mounted digital speedo and the great dash and controls in MK8, but your MPG suffers.  I would rather fill the petrol tank on wifes Jazz than the 50 litre tank on Civic and generally running about I get indicated 35 to 38 on Civic, wifes Jazz gets 45 to 48 doing the same sort of journeys.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 04:38:40 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 07:02:03 PM »
Just be aware that the wheel well in the 2006 to 2012 Civic looks big enough for a full size spare, and if you measure it it is big enough and deep enough,  but behind rear seats there is a piece of metal that overhangs the front of wheel well, that bit of metal means you have to try to get the full size wheel in at an angle,  and the diagonal is too big, so as you try to drop the rear bit of the wheel it is an 'interference fit' and the tyre will not go past the top rear of wheel well. The only way I could figure to get it in was to loose most of the air out of tyre and shoehorn it into wheel well - so I ended up with a spacesaver

I am confused, my Civic does not have the overhanging piece of metal you refer to just a plain hole in the boot, we will see when the wheel arrives and I get the tyre put on.  My indicated mpg is 48.

Vic.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 05:22:23 AM »
Glad you've stuck with Honda, enjoy the Civic.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 06:36:25 AM »
I've just searched Civinfo and found a couple of posts where people have tried a full size spare in the 8G and as I suspected the lid won't close.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 07:58:52 AM »
Just be aware that the wheel well in the 2006 to 2012 Civic looks big enough for a full size spare, and if you measure it it is big enough and deep enough,  but behind rear seats there is a piece of metal that overhangs the front of wheel well, that bit of metal means you have to try to get the full size wheel in at an angle,  and the diagonal is too big, so as you try to drop the rear bit of the wheel it is an 'interference fit' and the tyre will not go past the top rear of wheel well. The only way I could figure to get it in was to loose most of the air out of tyre and shoehorn it into wheel well - so I ended up with a spacesaver

I am confused, my Civic does not have the overhanging piece of metal you refer to just a plain hole in the boot, we will see when the wheel arrives and I get the tyre put on.  My indicated mpg is 48.

Vic.

It does not overhang by much but it is enough that you have to put the full size spare in at an angle and that causes the tyre to bind on rear top of wheel well,  as I said, If I had let a fair bit of air out I could have shoehorned it in - I measured the depth, width and length of wheelwell and thought it would be OK.  Luckily I did not buy a dedicated spare, I just tried one of my steel rims with Nokian winter tyre on,  I am not a fan of space savers,  but in a choice between tyre gunk and spacesaver give me the spacesaver every time.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 03:16:50 PM »
I am wrong about a full size spare fitting the recess in the boot after trying the spare tyre in the boot, something I should have done before ordering the steel rim, stupid boy. Anybody want a full size steel Civic wheel complete with a nearly new tyre?  £50, £45 buyer collects from Sleaford, Lincs.

Vic.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 10:44:37 PM »
I managed to get a  full size 16" alloy in there with the tyre fully inflated by removing the panel at the end of the floor box nearest to the back seat, it was a couple of years ago so I cant remember exactly how many bolts I had to remove but I had to slide this panel out to put the wheel in and slide it back in afterwards, the panel now just sits in place and isn't bolted in so I can get the wheel out quickly. the boot floor is sitting up almost an inch though as the floor box isn't deep enough for a full width wheel. I decided it was worth putting up with this after 2 punctures within weeks of each other when I didn't have a spare, predictably (or ironically) I haven't had a puncture since...

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2021, 06:50:40 PM »
I have had the Civic for three weeks now and have become accustomed to the i-Shift gearbox. In town work or slow traffic I let the Automatic function take over but otherwise I use the central lever for upward gear changes and let the box take care of the downward changes unless I plan to overtake something or need extra performance. Why don't I use the paddles on the steering wheel, because the central lever is always in the same place whereas the paddles might not be. I also think that the fuel consumption might be better changing up manually because the flexible engine will cope with sixth gear at 40mph whereas the Auto function will change up at higher speeds.
I enquired of my local Honda dealer whether the i-Shift software updates hade been done and they consulted the Honda central records and confirmed that they were all up to date.
Very pleased with the car so far.

Vic.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2021, 03:01:53 AM »
You're echoing what I've seen posted in the Civic forum.

Those who wanted an automatic are disappointed but those who are happy to drive it on the gearstick or paddles are happier.

I had 2 main issues:

When setting off from traffic lights it was too quick to change from 1st to 2nd. When it did, it cut power = deceleration, changed the gear, then returned power. This power cut often caused a following car to have to brake and on some occasions caused minor road rage from them.

The second was trying to blend in with traffic at some roundabouts. When approaching, I saw a gap and accelerated slightly to blend into the gap, but, the car decided this acceleration needed a lower gear so it again cut power, changed down, then returned power. That temporary cut in power meant the gap had gone so I had to brake and wait.

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2021, 02:15:50 PM »
I am told that the software updates were responsible for curing the 1st to 2nd delay and considerably improving the rest of the gear changes. I have never found the gear changes at all obstructive when entering roundabouts or at junctions.
To each his own.

Vic.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2021, 02:42:17 PM »
Maybe software updates after I got shot.

Got mine in Mar 07 and p/x it for a proper torque converter auto Civic in Sep 2009 so I only had 2 software updates, Mar 08 and Mar 09. Neither of which made any difference.

Tags:

anything