Author Topic: Auto Gear Display P-N-D-S is it supposed to be backlit when headlights are on?  (Read 955 times)

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
On the Jazz GD Auto(CVT in my case but I'm assuming this will apply to any GD auto) is the Gear Display that shows P-R-N-D and so on, is it supposed to be backlit when the headlights are on?

Mine isn't and it can be a bit dangerous at night when trying to find the correct gear. I'm pretty sure on my GE auto it was backlit.
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
On the Jazz GD Auto(CVT in my case but I'm assuming this will apply to any GD auto) is the Gear Display that shows P-R-N-D and so on, is it supposed to be backlit when the headlights are on?

Mine isn't and it can be a bit dangerous at night when trying to find the correct gear. I'm pretty sure on my GE auto it was backlit.
Surely you just look at the display on the dash, why would you be looking at the shift lever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Surely you just look at the display on the dash, why would you be looking at the shift lever?
In an emergency looking at the dash isn't going to instantly tell me which way is Reverse or Drive and which position it is relative to the currently selected gear. And that's not the question in any case  ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 06:07:10 PM by Jazzmeister »

UKjim

• Approved Member
In an emergency looking at the dash isn't going to instantly tell me which way is Reverse or Drive and which position it is relative to the currently selected gear. And that's not the question in any case  ;)
The dash display replicates the floor display so you know exactly the position of the lever. Anyway to answer your original question, yes the floor display is illuminated.

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
The dash display replicates the floor display so you know exactly the position of the lever. Anyway to answer your original question, yes the floor display is illuminated.

The dash only illuminates the gear you are currently in so for the purposes of why I want an illuminated display of the gear positions it is pointless.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 08:14:31 PM by Jazzmeister »

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 08:13:39 PM by Jazzmeister »

UKjim

• Approved Member
As I eluded to in my previous post the floor shift does have illumination, your bulb must be defective.

Ishaq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2005
Your bulb is blown, pretty common with these age vehicles but easy enough to change. You have to take out the plastic centre console and then unhinge the gear lever until you get access to the bulb underneath.

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Your bulb is blown, pretty common with these age vehicles but easy enough to change. You have to take out the plastic centre console and then unhinge the gear lever until you get access to the bulb underneath.
Thanks, I did it today, it's pretty easy to remove the centre console, 2 plastic clips at the front and 2 screws at the back.
You can also adjust the handbrake while the console is off which I did, the handbrake is nice and firm now.
Here is a video showing it on the MK2 Jazz but it's nearly the same as the MKI:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 10:31:17 AM by Jazzmeister »

Tags:

anything