Author Topic: 2021 F1 Season  (Read 19727 times)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Re: 2021 F1 Season
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2021, 08:43:26 AM »
What on earth happened at the end of the race? Seemed to me the race director said they won't let the lapped cars out of Max's way. Then someone from Red Bull spoke to them and in effect said Please, please let Max win. We really, really, really want to win. Pretty please. Oh all right then you can win.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2021, 10:14:41 AM »
I watched the race on Sunday and at the end realised why I stopped watching F1 years ago! The result was farcical - and I am not a fan of Lewis Hamilton or Mercedes - it seems the best way to win if you are well behind in second place is to get your partner car to engineer an “incident” so bringing the safety car onto the track, you then regain all the lost time!

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2021, 10:20:18 AM »
Just like the Jazz, the winner of the F1 2021 is a Honda.
And since (for example) the H-RV, is also present in this forum for the 4th generation Honda Jazz with quite a few threads, why not the Red Bull Honda?

Mercedes: great champions, bad losers...
Mercedes lodge two protests in bid to steal world championship away from Max Verstappen
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1535080/Mercedes-protest-appeal-Max-Verstappen-F1-world-champion-Lewis-Hamilton-Toto-Wolff

Well, strictly speaking, Honda didn't win. Mercedes won the constructor's championship. Verstappen won the driver's championship. Congratulations to them both. I am sure people will talk about this season for decades to come. My only wish is that Mercedes walk away as gracefully as Lewis Hamilton appears to have done. Sport is about the moment, not the appeals.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2021, 10:44:43 AM »
I watched the race on Sunday and at the end realised why I stopped watching F1 years ago! The result was farcical
This was the same as me. I will never watch another f1 race again. Even WWF wrestling is more honest and above board. If I owned Mercedes I would pull out of f1 racing, like teams used to do back in the day when f1 was an honest sport not a big money investment.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2021, 10:54:26 AM »
I watched the race on Sunday and at the end realised why I stopped watching F1 years ago!

I dare say that Max Verstappen has saved Formula 1 in recent years!  Previously it was a "parade" of F1 cars. And only in recent years there has been real competition with 2021 as the highlight.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 11:22:28 AM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2021, 11:37:00 AM »
I watched the race on Sunday and at the end realised why I stopped watching F1 years ago!

I dare say that Max Verstappen has saved Formula 1 in recent years!  Previously it was a "parade" of F1 cars. And only in recent years there has been real competition with 2021 as the highlight.

You are right that the era of the parade of cars following Mercedes was not good for F1, but that is not the point in this case. The result was farcical because to win because of a new interpretation of the safety car rules is just silly!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2021, 12:25:42 PM »
The result was farcical because to win because of a new interpretation of the safety car rules is just silly!

Just such a farce as deciding the world championship by crossing the finish line behind the safety car (in another parade)?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 12:28:16 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2021, 12:26:26 PM »
We were robbed....... ??? :'(

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2021, 01:54:24 PM »
The result was farcical because to win because of a new interpretation of the safety car rules is just silly!

Just such a farce as deciding the world championship by crossing the finish line behind the safety car (in another parade)?
Mercedes were ahead by 11 seconds before the safety car was deployed. It is just ridiculous that 11 seconds lead can be negated by an event not involving any of the lead cars. In this day of digital timings Mercedes it would make more sense if the 11 seconds lead was reinstated when/if the race restarted.
Otherwise it’s like a football team leading 5-0 then due to a stoppage of the game (injury etc.) the game restarted on 5-5! Where is the sense in that? I am not an F1 fan but to me this result is just ridiculous and Max Verstappen and Red Bull must realise that too. Incidentally if, as reported, the head of Red Bull lobbied the race stewards to allow the race to continue without all the also rans passing the safety car then that just compounds the situation.

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2021, 02:07:19 PM »
It was all a fiasco managed by incompetent race officials, Hamilton had to pass all the back marker to get where he was and then Verstappen was given the race because all he had left to pass was Hamilton. It is just so unfair but hopefully Merc will appeal

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2021, 01:19:24 AM »
There have been many inconsistent decisions made this season, both sets of drivers and teams have done wrong and been wronged, in my opinion decisions have gone unfairly in Hamilton's favour much more often than Verstappen's.
I think the decision made with allowing the back markers out of the way was the best decision for the sport, if not for individual driver, we would have the exact same controversy if they hadn't moved the back markers allowing Hamilton almost certain victory. As it was Hamilton had every opportunity to defend his position and Verstappen had every opportunity to fight for the lead. Mercedes had chosen to not change their tyres on two separate occasions which is what ultimately cost them the race. Verstappen had the unsporting option of 'taking out' Hamilton and winning the championship which he didn't do or appear to contemplate, I cant honestly say that, had the situation been reversed, Hamilton would have behaved so sportingly. (look at the British Gran Prix).
i was glad to see Hamilton take defeat gracefully and accept the result, I'm sure he'll be back to battle it out all over again next season, these are pretty much the only 2 drivers and teams in the fight unless something changes next season. I find the team bosses to be much worse behaved than the drivers, the drivers just get caught up in the pressure and intensity of it all.

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2021, 07:27:57 AM »
Waiting to see what "Gorgeous George" does next season for Mercedes. He and Lando are both great drivers!

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2021, 07:57:58 AM »
Fortunately there are big rule changes for next season to try and overcome the aerodynamic problems that mean once cars get close they can't pass. Also lower profile tyres - wheels going from 13 to 18 inches. So it's anybody's guess who'll get it right - Maclaren or Ferrari could be in the mix.

I'm looking forward to seeing George up against Lewis too.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2021, 08:56:46 AM »
There have been many inconsistent decisions made this season, both sets of drivers and teams have done wrong and been wronged, in my opinion decisions have gone unfairly in Hamilton's favour much more often than Verstappen's.
I think the decision made with allowing the back markers out of the way was the best decision for the sport, if not for individual driver, we would have the exact same controversy if they hadn't moved the back markers allowing Hamilton almost certain victory. As it was Hamilton had every opportunity to defend his position and Verstappen had every opportunity to fight for the lead. Mercedes had chosen to not change their tyres on two separate occasions which is what ultimately cost them the race. Verstappen had the unsporting option of 'taking out' Hamilton and winning the championship which he didn't do or appear to contemplate, I cant honestly say that, had the situation been reversed, Hamilton would have behaved so sportingly. (look at the British Gran Prix).
i was glad to see Hamilton take defeat gracefully and accept the result, I'm sure he'll be back to battle it out all over again next season, these are pretty much the only 2 drivers and teams in the fight unless something changes next season. I find the team bosses to be much worse behaved than the drivers, the drivers just get caught up in the pressure and intensity of it all.

Good post,  the pity is though that ( same in motorbike racing ) every time the safety car is used '( or virtual safety car' ) it skews the race result because even though the vehicles behind cannot pass each other they do get to bunch up and all the time differences that existed disappear.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2021, 08:58:32 AM »
Struggling to find what this post has to do with the Jazz Mk4 in this Jazz Mk 4 forum.  Maybe admin can move/remove it?

Tags: