Author Topic: Battery failure  (Read 5069 times)

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
Re: Battery failure
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2020, 12:53:14 PM »
That was about the best value out of the premium batteries with 5 years warranty from a well known manufacturer, it also had a higher capacity than most of the others.
All things being equal I usually by Bosch, but on this occasion the Varta looked like a better deal.
Like a lot of other members, I've used Tayna before and it's always a good choice, good prices and fairly quick delivery.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2020, 01:31:53 PM »
I would also recommend Tayna. I recently fitted a new battery in a Mini for someone, unfortunately it needed a big AGM, got a 5yr Bosch from Tayna for a reasonable price, around 2/3 of what other sources wanted. They package the batteries extremely well and delivery has always been very quick.

jaytee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2020, 05:14:02 PM »
due to COVID and other factors i have not used my jazz much during the last few weeks. i have had to jump start a couple of times. OK I best get a new battery. got a YUASA silver from halfords.Not the cheapest but it has seemed to perk up the car. Everything seems to run better .Am i just deluding myself??

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2020, 07:11:19 PM »
All things being equal I usually by Bosch, but on this occasion the Varta looked like a better deal.

Just noticed this old post... for future reference, Bosch and Varta are the same battery, made in the same factory - if you are in the market for either, buy which looks the better deal.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2020, 07:13:13 PM »
Not the cheapest but it has seemed to perk up the car. Everything seems to run better .Am i just deluding myself??

Possibly not, a tired battery can be drawing on the engine all the time.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2021, 01:58:50 PM »
this is a good article about batteries,  defects from battery makers are an extremely small part of battery failure.  It is the way the battery is treated on a vehicle that decides how long it will last and be reliable.  It is well known that in hot countries batteries last for a very short time compared to temperate or cold countries.   Even when a battery has one of those colour changing windows on the top of case it is only showing the specific gravity of acid in that one cell with a floating plastic ball,  so there could be a problem with any one of the other five cells.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/archive/what_causes_car_batteries_to_fail
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 02:02:53 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2021, 03:08:14 PM »
Just had to fit a new AGM battery on the Vauxhall, great big bloody thing! Managed to get a Ford OEM Omnicraft branded Varta battery, identical to the original GM factory battery that's on - cost £135, but still £40 cheaper than the Varta.

There's a saving with these OEM batteries, but being OEM parts, warranty is covered by the supplier and not backed by the manufacturer - the warranty is usually shorter. As the original OEM Varta battery lasted 9 years, I'm not too worried.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2021, 04:41:36 PM »
Just had to fit a new AGM battery on the Vauxhall, great big bloody thing! Managed to get a Ford OEM Omnicraft branded Varta battery, identical to the original GM factory battery that's on - cost £135, but still £40 cheaper than the Varta.

There's a saving with these OEM batteries, but being OEM parts, warranty is covered by the supplier and not backed by the manufacturer - the warranty is usually shorter. As the original OEM Varta battery lasted 9 years, I'm not too worried.
9 yrs is good going. You had your moneys worth out of it. With luck the replacement will last as long. :D £135 is some cost, I imagine it's because of S/Stop?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2021, 05:22:35 PM »
9 yrs is good going. You had your moneys worth out of it. With luck the replacement will last as long. :D £135 is some cost, I imagine it's because of S/Stop?

Yes, it's AGM for the start/stop, and it's big - 25KG, and that's about 3 Jazz batteries...

9 yrs, but I've been nursing it since last winter... start-stop has been more miss than hit, and this winter has finally seen it off altogether, it's not holding charge anymore.

I like that the new battery came with a printout with battery serial number and a cranking amps test result on it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 05:27:04 PM by sparky Paul »

Tags:

anything