Author Topic: Car written off and spare wheel question  (Read 3366 times)

Steve1962

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
Car written off and spare wheel question
« on: August 13, 2019, 05:45:16 PM »
So,
On Thursday my Jazz was written off on the M6 but luckily me and the wife and son were unhurt.
After some negotiations with the insurers we arrived at a recompense figure that I could live with and I have just purchased a replacement car which is....... a Jazz 1.4 ES 61 plate with 35 k on the clock and has 4 new tyres on it and will be serviced and MOT’d before I collect it.
It’s in mint condition but has no spare wheel so where’s the best place to get one and should I just get a space saver or full size one.
Cheers
Steve

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Car written off and spare wheel question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 07:35:50 PM »
I bought a full size steel wheel off Ebay, although its a brand new wheel that was advertised for a Corsa, but its the same specification as the Jazz wheels and has saved me on several occasions.

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 09:28:39 AM »
Hi,
I bought a brand new Honda alloy wheel from ebay, a Honda dealer in Worcester was selling them for around £60, then bought a decent tyre and had it fitted. You need to cut a small hole in the boot carpet to access the retaining nut. You need to acquire the retaining screw or if you look on ebay you can buy the kit. I had to get a jack as well, as far as I know there should have been one with the car so that you can lift it before putting the gunk in according to the instructions 🤔
Chris

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 03:51:59 PM »
Glad to hear your were unhurt
Plenty on E bay poss on Gumtree, plus the jack & wheel brace can be sourced from your local breakers yard.

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 06:21:51 PM »
cant you take the old spare wheel?

Steve1962

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 09:05:19 AM »
cant you take the old spare wheel?

I haven't done that - the car was collected for inspection by the insurers on Monday and subsequently I was informed that it was written off.

Thanks.

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 10:32:07 AM »
Just a thought, if one buys a wheel other than the proper Honda, do you have to tell the insurance Company as perhaps one would not be insured as it would be a 3rd party item if it was put on the road ??

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 03:28:00 PM »
Insurance companies normally only interested if you fit more expensive wheels and expect them to pay out ----- or is not a standard width and diameter for the car.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:32:36 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 11:37:55 AM »
Just a thought, if one buys a wheel other than the proper Honda, do you have to tell the insurance Company as perhaps one would not be insured as it would be a 3rd party item if it was put on the road ??

It's a good point, certain insurers will look for any way they can of paying out in the case of a claim.

If I was an insurer, I think I would be a lot happier if you fitter a steel wheel with the correct size matching tyre fitted, rather than one of the spacesaver spares. When I first used one I was shocked how much different the diameter is from the standard tyre - handling is severely compromised, even below 50mph, and it can't do your differential any good at all!

I would think an insurer would have a hard time arguing that a non standard but identical sized steel spare would be detrimental to the cars safety, especially when they are happy for you to put a wheelbarrow wheel on. A car would pass an MOT with such a wheel on, without any comment, so I think they would never be able to prove that it would be a contributing factor to any accident.

You could always tell the insurer beforehand that you carry a full sized spare, and leave it at that. I can't see why it would be a problem - I'm not even sure the steel spares have a maker stamped on them anyway. Spacesavers are only meant to be used as a temporary fix, to get you home or a garage, I think if you treat the full sized steel spare similarly, you won't go far wrong.

Steve1962

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 07:52:28 AM »
Spare wheel with tyre now sourced, now just need to get a bolt and spacer to secure it - is the bolt 12 mm thread?

Thanks.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 10:11:00 AM »
Spare wheel with tyre now sourced, now just need to get a bolt and spacer to secure it - is the bolt 12 mm thread?

Thanks.

8 mm thread  ( M8 ) got an M8 set bolt ( threaded for its whole length, or you can buy a metre of 8mm threaded galvanised bar for about same price ) from B&Q about 60mm long and chopped the head off, used an 8mm wing nut ( B&Q ) and a piece of 2 or 3 mm plate cut from a bracket I also got from B&Q ---

Used it in Jazz and Civic.

You can buy something off fleabay to do the job..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Steve1962

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 02:04:46 PM »

Thanks.

8 mm thread  ( M8 ) got an M8 set bolt ( threaded for its whole length, or you can buy a metre of 8mm threaded galvanised bar for about same price ) from B&Q about 60mm long and chopped the head off, used an 8mm wing nut ( B&Q ) and a piece of 2 or 3 mm plate cut from a bracket I also got from B&Q ---

Used it in Jazz and Civic.

You can buy something off fleabay to do the job..

That's brilliant, thanks very much indeed.

Steve

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 04:20:58 PM »
Insurance companies normally only interested if you fit more expensive wheels and expect them to pay out ----- or is not a standard width and diameter for the car.
So guess you cannot mix 15” and 16” on the same axle then....

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 04:32:45 PM »
Both 15" & 16" wheels are standard fitment for a Jazz, so it would OK to fit both to one axle.
The rolling radius is the same due to the size of tyre fitted, so would be legal, as a get you home measure, however it would be prudent to limit your speed to 50mph max.

My previous Jazz had 16" wheels, but the spare was 15", no problem at all.
As discussed elsewhere my new Jazz has no room for a spare wheel, so it's now redundant!!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 05:29:41 PM »
So guess you cannot mix 15” and 16” on the same axle then....

It's an odd one that, as a temporary spare it's deemed as acceptable. However, if you mix tyre sizes on the same axle and put the car through a MOT, it's a fail - I can't see any insurance company being happy with that.

A space saver spare will also fail the MOT if fitted at the time of the test.

Tags:

anything