Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 752457 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1920 on: January 20, 2021, 12:13:44 PM »
Inductive charging is inefficient

Who said anything about inductive charging?  ;)

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/53025466.pdf

Eventually, I can see some sort of standardised robotic charging connection which connects underneath the car, directly to the battery pack. The danger of human contact with high voltage charging is reduced, the charging cabling in the car is eliminated, and the size of the conductors on the charging infrastructure can be significantly increased.

I've no doubt someone will come up with a solution, necessity is the mother of invention.

My god, a robot needed to charge a vehicle, it is bad enough trying to fine a 'normal' dumb charging station in working order, let alone a more complex and easily vandalised robot one. The expense of fitting a robot et al to charging stations makes the already eyewatering cost of fast charge stations even worse, much more for the scrotes to nick or vandalise as well.  the we still have the outstanding matter of where the electrical power is gonna come from...   Auto drive cars driving themselves to the robot ( running over people pushing bicycles on the way ), not much progress on that just lately according to the deafening silence that has descended on the subject and the diminishing number of people trying to get rid of a human driver.  With the cost of all this tech, stand by to pay well for the privilege of having your car 'valet' charged.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #1921 on: January 20, 2021, 12:46:02 PM »
Inductive charging is inefficient

Who said anything about inductive charging?  ;)

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/53025466.pdf

Eventually, I can see some sort of standardised robotic charging connection which connects underneath the car, directly to the battery pack. The danger of human contact with high voltage charging is reduced, the charging cabling in the car is eliminated, and the size of the conductors on the charging infrastructure can be significantly increased.

I've no doubt someone will come up with a solution, necessity is the mother of invention.

My god, a robot needed to charge a vehicle, it is bad enough trying to fine a 'normal' dumb charging station in working order, let alone a more complex and easily vandalised robot one. The expense of fitting a robot et al to charging stations makes the already eyewatering cost of fast charge stations even worse, much more for the scrotes to nick or vandalise as well.  the we still have the outstanding matter of where the electrical power is gonna come from...   Auto drive cars driving themselves to the robot ( running over people pushing bicycles on the way ), not much progress on that just lately according to the deafening silence that has descended on the subject and the diminishing number of people trying to get rid of a human driver.  With the cost of all this tech, stand by to pay well for the privilege of having your car 'valet' charged.

What's your solution @Culzean? I see a lot of challenge from you on all the progress discussed here, but I am not clear what your alternative is for the future of personal mobility and travel.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1922 on: January 20, 2021, 01:34:32 PM »
My god, a robot needed to charge a vehicle, it is bad enough trying to fine a 'normal' dumb charging station in working order, let alone a more complex and easily vandalised robot one.

Of course, I'm not saying that this is the system I'm going to patent and send to BP as the answer, it's just a fag packet example off the top of my head. Far smarter people than me are working on these ideas. However, as you seem very intent on ripping it to pieces, I'll try to address some of your criticisms.

How exactly is someone going to vandalise a charging connection that is enclosed within a steel cover in the floor? Not even the car drivers will ever see it. Surely more difficult to vandalise than a charging cable, or even a pump hose?

When I say robot, I'm certain that you know, with your immense experience of industry, that I don't mean every charger will be equipped with it's own R2-D2. A simple pantograph type device that rises out of the floor, adjusts for the exact position before clamping onto the vehicle's charging port/s, is simple and will not be difficult or expensive to put into practice.

The electricity supply and sourcing is certainly is an issue today, but supply, and local storage and/or generation required will eventually have to be addressed - this is ongoing, and mass charging sites are already becoming operational. Nobody should lose sight of the massive amount of infrastructure that petrol and diesel needs to extract, refine, distribute and store before it can be dispensed into your tank. It doesn't simply sprout out of the ground in the middle of Tesco's car park.

As for cars driving themselves to charging stations and squashing cyclists, I honestly don't know where you got that from.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1923 on: January 20, 2021, 01:35:12 PM »
What's your solution @Culzean? I see a lot of challenge from you on all the progress discussed here, but I am not clear what your alternative is for the future of personal mobility and travel.
culzean's solution is petrol and diesel.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #1924 on: January 20, 2021, 01:57:59 PM »
Well he's going to need a very persuasive argument to overthrow all of the major political party's strategies.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #1925 on: January 20, 2021, 02:24:13 PM »
Don't forget the hydrogen option. I see considerable potential to develop the fuel cell technology in conjunction with a hybrid drivechain so the fuel cell can run continuously at modest output with a battery big enough to meet high power demands plus store energy from regenrative braking. The hydrogen can be generated when there's surplus renewable energy and stored.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #1926 on: January 20, 2021, 02:47:06 PM »
Don't forget the hydrogen option. I see considerable potential to develop the fuel cell technology in conjunction with a hybrid drivechain so the fuel cell can run continuously at modest output with a battery big enough to meet high power demands plus store energy from regenrative braking. The hydrogen can be generated when there's surplus renewable energy and stored.

Agreed.

I thought the COVID lockdowns are trial runs for an alternative future for personal mobility and travel.  ;)

In normal times, with 95% of personal transport sitting idle and with all that capital being tied up and going nowhere,  I suspect the future is more in the widening distribution of organisations like Zipcar, certainly in urban and suburban environments.

No doubt Rolls Royce will, in due course, be able to reduce the size of their mini nuclear power stations to fit in the boot/ battery compartment of most vehicles.

And, anyway until someone does something about world population growth, all this is pie in the sky!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1927 on: January 20, 2021, 03:28:08 PM »
And, anyway until someone does something about world population growth, all this is pie in the sky!
I'll do my bit shortly. I'll pop my clogs.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1928 on: January 20, 2021, 04:38:30 PM »
In normal times, with 95% of personal transport sitting idle and with all that capital being tied up and going nowhere,  I suspect the future is more in the widening distribution of organisations like Zipcar, certainly in urban and suburban environments.

There's both a question and an answer in there somewhere. People who spend £50,000 plus buying, or £800 a month and upwards leasing a car, aren't doing that just to get to work. Something like you suggest probably is the future, but at present, cars are still a symbol of status parked on the drive.

until someone does something about world population growth, all this is pie in the sky!

...or the oil runs out  ;)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #1929 on: January 20, 2021, 05:31:22 PM »
at present, cars are still a symbol of status parked on the drive.
Now people can go status symbolling and virtue signalling all in one with green number plates! Eco snobbery?  :D

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/green-number-plates-get-the-green-light-for-a-zero-emission-future

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #1930 on: January 20, 2021, 08:23:14 PM »
£800 a month? Even the Model 3 only cost me £600 all-in, what are these people driving?  ;D

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1931 on: January 20, 2021, 10:19:36 PM »
£800 a month? Even the Model 3 only cost me £600 all-in, what are these people driving?  ;D

A neighbour was paying £800 a month for an Audi TT. They also got stung heavily for excess mileage too when it was handed back.

I'm sure there are dearer cars out there.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #1932 on: January 20, 2021, 10:46:38 PM »
If I was paying £800 I’d want an R8 not a TT! 🤣

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #1933 on: January 21, 2021, 06:19:36 AM »

A neighbour was paying £800 a month for an Audi TT. They also got stung heavily for excess mileage too when it was handed back.

I'm sure there are dearer cars out there.

£10k a year to borrow an Audi? It uses the MQB chassis, so in essence is a posh fast 2dr Golf. Very nice, but how much??  ???

Vauxhall have just announced the Combo e. 171 mile range apparently.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-2021-vauxhall-combo-e-arrives-171-mile-range

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #1934 on: January 21, 2021, 08:39:33 AM »
Vauxhall have just announced the Combo e. 171 mile range apparently.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-2021-vauxhall-combo-e-arrives-171-mile-range
That's a sector which is long overdue for electrification as the majority of vans don't travel the daily distances where the battery range becomes a worry and EVs are ideal for a series of short journeys.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: