Author Topic: Fried aux socket.  (Read 1550 times)

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
Fried aux socket.
« on: November 23, 2023, 08:17:41 PM »
Am I correct in thinking the cigarette lighter socket is 20amp. Fuse no.36

I have changed the fuse and my cigarette lighter socket still doesn't work. Long story short I had a inverter plugged in, which has done something and now it doesn't work.
I checked all fuses for continuity and they were all ok, I didn't confirm the actual socket had power to it. (I'm sure it doesn't) so I'm going to double check that.

So second question, does anyone know an easy way to get the actual socket out as I think I'm going to have to change it, and I need to check the actual wire to it is getting power too.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Fried aux socket.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 04:27:56 AM »
Have you checked both under dash and under bonnet fuses

Just a guess as to where the power socket is fused
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Fried aux socket.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 09:48:15 AM »
owners  handbook says Fuse 36, 20 amp.   (some cars  are only 15 amp for this circuit)  .

Devices that come with a lead and a plug that  plugs into the aux socket   often have a fuse inside the plug.   The plug unscrews.  Or there may be  a fuse in the device itself.  have you checked this fuse?   

Some devices such as heavy duty  tyre compressor, and possibly  inverters  , draw too many amps to use an aux plug. They should come with clips to connect direct to the battery terminals.   But if some how its drawing close to 20 amps for a sustained period through the aux circuit it might overheat the wiring or fittings without blowing the fuse.    Sorry I cant help with how to access it for testing.   

I once tried running a fan assisted coolbox through a cheap and nasty splitter that gave me two sockets.  (It had a lead and plug with a fuse.   The coolbox plug also had a fuse -8 amp IIRC)    It melted the splitter wiring  without blowing any of the fuses - car,splitter or device)   . Could have been nasty. 
My solution was to install a second aux socket  with its own wire to a spare fuse slot in the fusebox.   But even this required precautions to ensure the wiring was heavy duty and as short as possible.       
This was a Yaris. I havnt bothered with the jazz. I no longer use the fan on the coolbox.  It didnt help that much.  :P
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 10:08:46 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: