Author Topic: Fixed or Variable Servicing?  (Read 143794 times)

guest516

Re: Fixed or Variable Servicing?
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2010, 08:36:29 PM »
Re service/oil change intervals
The first oil change 'A' came at 9 months & 8k + miles followed 60/70 days later in January the 'B' service & all  items shown in service book completed the car being just under 12 months old
This week 12 months to the day its had its 'A' oil change & new pollen filter
The computer indicates that in 70 days the 'B' service is due (2 years ?)
The cost of the 'A' service should have been £75ish until they confirmed I was on the 5 year service plan.    The best £'s worth I've had provided it really lasts 5 years ??
Enjoying my Jazz ;D
oui-oui

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE MT
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2010, 09:54:38 AM »
I took delivery of my new 1.4 Si back in July 2010. There is no indication on the multifunction display that the service reminder indicator has been activated. I don’t know whether this is the dealer’s policy or just an oversight by the technician who carried out the PDI. Unfortunately the pre-delivery inspection list supplied with my Jazz is so poorly photocopied I can’t tell whether the service reminder activation is part of the PDI. Please can someone check their PDI list and tell me if it forms part of the checklist and under what section it appears as then I might be able to work out if the relevant box has been ticked.

In my opinion variable servicing can only be a good thing if it means fewer trips to the dealer for the majority of owners. Who wants to keep taking their car back to the dealer for frequent services regardless of cost? I don’t and my car came with 3 years free servicing. 12 months/12,500 miles is frequent enough for me. The reason I buy Hondas is to have a car on the road and not in the workshop. Variable servicing, another new model Jazz irritation to add to my list.

guest1521

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2010, 06:21:17 PM »
According to my Variable Service Indicator, my first 'A' service (includes first oil change) will be 16,500 miles & 20 months after buying my GE Jazz brand new.

About half those miles will be long-distance, 'hot' running (ideal engine conditions) while the other half  will be short trips, cool/cold running and around town... within two freezing winters... altogether much, much less ideal for an engine and/or not oil-friendly.

According to my Honda dealer who gave it a 'B' service while checking out the Variable Service indicator, all's OK with it. If in fact this is how the variable service computation **should** work that's very interesting oil change economies...

Interesting.

guest1521

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2010, 07:57:20 PM »
From new, my GE Jazz has done 8800 miles in 12 months. Great big little car!

According to the Variable Service Indicator, its first oil and filter change is not due for another 7700 miles.

So its first oil and filter change ('A' service) will be at 16,500 miles and 22 months!

By way of explanation after conducting a 'B' service, my Honda dealer has shown me part of a Bulletin explaining that with Variable Servicing, depending on motoring conditions, oil change intervals ('A' service) can extend to 18,000 miles. Or, depending on motoring conditions, they can be much shorter than that.   

Interesting.

Has anyone experienced similarly long oil change/'A' service intervals with their GE Jazz?

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2010, 06:37:16 PM »
Don't worry. That 16.5k/20 months will probably drop to half that depending on usage. My EX's first "A" service was demanded at 8k miles, and the second around 17k. The cabin filter change "2" is fixed at 24 months, irrespective of the other indicators.

guest1521

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2010, 09:14:20 PM »
Thanks, nowster and sorry for wasting your time. My explanation was inadequate...

My GE Jazz is 12 months old (from new) and has done 8800 miles to date.

The Variable Service Indicator is displaying 7700 miles yet to go till 'A' Service.

That means its first oil and filter change ('A' service) will be at 16,500 miles and 22 months from new... presuming my motoring patterns remain unchanged.

Following a 'B' service my Honda dealer showed me part of a Bulletin by way of explanation. Apparently an 'A' service can extend to as much as 18,000 miles... or it can be considerably shorter than that... depending on motoring and engine oil conditions as computed by the Variable Service Indicator.

Given previous comment in this Forum and elsewhere on this 'variable 'service' topic - typically much shortened oil change intervals - my long interval experience surprised me.

Has anyone experienced similarly LONG intervals?

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2010, 05:18:45 PM »
Inter

So its first oil and filter change ('A' service) will be at 16,500 miles and 22 months!

That is interesting - all the other comments I''ve seen about this say the servicing is tending to come too early.

I'm sure ours is days rather than miles and the first service was pretty spot-on a year old, when the car had done about 8K miles.

I'm sure longer intervals aren't an issue - I run a diesel Merc (Jazz is wifey's car and I use it around town) and that only asks for a service every two years if it lowish mileage.

akh48

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2011, 10:57:19 PM »
I have also had the service indicator coming on early.  I purchased the car, Jazz 1.2 i-VTEC, an ex courtesy car at Honda franchise in July 2009, car was first registered March 2009, car had 2900 miles on the clock when I purchased.  I was told it was 12 months or 12,000 miles to service and yet the first year the indicator came on around 6-7 weeks before it was 1 year old.  I went in to garage and was told the indicator said it needed a service and it was depended on how it was driven!  As a new Honda driver I went along with what the said and had my 1st service, mileage I had done since purchase was around 3,000 so around 5,000 in all, can't remember exact mileage at service.  

The warning light has come on today saying 29 days until next service B2 (?) is due, yet again early.  My mileage is still only 9,460.  I am not at all happy with the fact it is getting earlier each year.  I paid for my first 2 services up front so that is not really the issue.  But not happy that I am having to service more frequently than I was told and I dont think it is down to my driving style as after what I have been reading I am not alone.

The fact that the warning light comes on every time  you switch on is already getting on my nerves and this is the first day >:(
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:48:40 AM by akh48 »

guest1461

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »
You can have the service indicator system turned off but you will have to sign to say that you no longer want it as once turned off it can not be turned back on. Your servicing will then be 12 months or 12.500miles.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2011, 11:36:26 PM »
ive been flicking through the select reset button and all i get is a and b trip, i dont get service so does that mean it was never turned on?

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2011, 02:07:14 AM »
i read in the manual that the service indicator is on the select/reset button on the steering wheel, push once for trip A, twice for trip B and three times for the service indicator.

i only get A & B and no service details, does this mean it is switched off? or does it only come on after a few thousand miles?

thanks

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2011, 02:24:22 PM »
It was probably never switched on.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2011, 06:40:41 PM »
yay that suits me, 12 months or 12.500 it is  :D

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2011, 11:20:45 PM »
who here has gone from the variable to annual 12500 mile service and what did the dealer say when you told them what you wanted

thanks

guest1862

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2011, 08:54:57 PM »
Hi

Just asked if they would change it over to annual was told it would take up to an hour booked it in they did it and no charge. Just a shame i write it off 2 months later and am now waiting for a new replacement.

Mike :)

Tags: