Author Topic: deflation warning system calibration  (Read 1250 times)

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
deflation warning system calibration
« on: October 17, 2021, 06:13:56 PM »
There's an interesting you tube video on how to calibrate the warning system

The guy recommends doing it 3 times , strange as the user guide states only once.

Wonder what the difference is ?

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: deflation warning system calibration
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 12:27:42 PM »
Yesterday I drove south from Tyneside.  Halfway to Scotch Corner, the tyre pressure warning came on but there was no problem with the feel of the car.  At Scotch Corner I stopped for some food and did a visual check on the tyres, set initialisation once and drove on South.  Soon after, the warning came again so I stopped at Wetherby and checked the pressures on the machine there.  The rear tyres were down to 27 and 29 psi before the reinflation.  I reset initialisation once and drove a further 200 miles without a problem.

I don’t know why the video says to reset initialisation 3 times - I’ve never done that.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 12:54:36 PM »
I don't get the 3 times thing either.

That said, in my Mk3s, 3 (ish) recalibrations seemed to solve the problem but this was a recalibration after each false alarm.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 02:01:18 PM »
I've had the TPMS on a number of Civics. I've only had to reset it once* when I had a tyre replaced. Other than that I've found my tyres losing or gaining equal pressure as the seasons change so each tyre needs equal adjusting so it's never triggered, except for the new tyre........

*When the muppets at the Honda dealer changed my tyre in 2008 they replaced the original punctured radial pattern with a new one with a V pattern, annoying as it was a rear tyre so looked wrong.

That Civic had pressures of 30psi all round but they pumped it up to 39psi ! Within half a mile TPMS was triggered.
When I got home I checked all pressures and dropped the new one to 30psi and started a calibration for my next journey.

According to the info at the time a calibration involved driving a minimum of 15 miles taking in left and right hand bends to help with calibration. My work journey was 20 miles, so perfect.

All went well till the new tyre had done 100 miles and it went off again. Reset the calibration ready for the next journey and all OK. It then went off again at 300 miles which caused a third calibration.

The reason was that the new tyre tyrewall started off stiffer than the others that had bedded in and as it wore/bedded in the TPMS picked this up.

After the 3rd reset at 300 miles it never went off again.

Let's be careful out there !

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 05:52:49 PM »
Unless I get caught out, I never use any garage forecourt equipment as from experience the gauges are usually inaccurate and the 'air' usually contains lots of moisture...

Tyre pressures on all our vehicles are checked and adjusted regularly at home using a good foot pump and a decent hand pressure gauge. They use differing types of monitoring - both inferred readings off the ABS sensors as per the Jazz and direct pressure monitoring via the valve sensors. Over inflate with the foot pump then drop back to the correct pressures using the gauge. Check for repeatability then reset the monitoring system.

So far I've not had a problem with the TPMS system on the Jazz, even when fitting a new set of tyres this year.

As above, the pressures are checked and adjusted regularly so take account of seasonal temperature variations.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 04:30:17 AM »
I think my issue was due to just fitting one tyre. That threw a spanner into the works.

I got one of these from Amazon ages ago. It's brilliant, rechargeable, cuts off at set pressure and comparing it with my expensive metal digital tyre pressure gauge it's only half a psi out so I go up one to compensate

Unfortunately they sell out quickly so are often unavailable :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08KZSN79V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plus, it's one of the few that have the quick release end. The Michelin one I had previously was screw on and it was impossible to remove without losing a psi or 2.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 04:32:17 AM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 09:10:58 AM »
Plus, it's one of the few that have the quick release end. The Michelin one I had previously was screw on and it was impossible to remove without losing a psi or 2.

I find the screw on end on my footpump is easier to remove than clip on lever device without losing air,  you just have to pull the tube as you unscrew to draw the thingymajig that presses the valve stem down away from valve stem.  The gauge on my Michelin twin barrel pump ispot on compared to Race X pressure gauge
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: