Author Topic: Civic with i-Shift  (Read 2095 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Civic with i-Shift
« on: October 15, 2021, 07:53:10 PM »
Has anyone any experience of the i-shift gearbox in a 1.8 Civic. I know the gear changes are sluggish but I doubt that would bother me anymore, at 84 i'm no boy racer?

Vic.

hemming

• Approved Member
Re: Civic with i-Shift
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 08:43:01 PM »
None of my business I know - I thought you were glad (your posting 8/8/20) to get your Jazz back.
Apart from possibly one exception the I-shift is thought inferior to CVT - I can't see that it would be transformed in a Civic (or should that be CiVic ?)...

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 04:46:37 AM »
Yes, I had one from Mar 07 to Sep 09.

It's a dreadful box IMO and why Honda quickly developed a proper torque converter to replace it.

It's a single clutch unit so to change gear it cuts the power, changes the gear, then restores power. I had many instances of road rage as following cars from traffic lights think you're being deliberately awkward when you set off and within seconds it cuts power to change from first to second.

Then approaching roundabouts, you spot a gap to slot into, press the throttle a bit at which point it cuts the power again to change down and your intended gap is gone as you've slowed down not speeded up as intended.

Finally, try slow reverse or parallel parking. As soon as you touch the brake pedal it completely disconnects the clutch, so you stop. To get going again you need to press the throttle but that completely engages the clutch so you are travelling too fast.

My neighbours used to chuckle at me trying to slowly reverse park in my garage and called my car 'The Kangaroo'
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 08:36:32 AM »
Yes, I had one from Mar 07 to Sep 09.

Finally, try slow reverse or parallel parking. As soon as you touch the brake pedal it completely disconnects the clutch, so you stop. To get going again you need to press the throttle but that completely engages the clutch so you are travelling too fast.

My neighbours used to chuckle at me trying to slowly reverse park in my garage and called my car 'The Kangaroo'

There were lots of complaints about the automated manual gearbox on all makes of cars, they all seemed to suffer from the low down jerkiness.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 09:53:00 AM »
I got a 09 Jazz i-shift and it has done 110k miles. I use it for driving tuition. Having owned a Toyota Verso MMT and test driven Fiat Dialogic and Smart semi auto, the Honda system seems alot better in a sense that it does creep forward and the Hill Assist does come useful.

The only downside is that it has broken down, twice @82k miles and 105k miles, actuator problems. Luckily a mechanic from the Civic forum came to the rescue at £300 each time-Honda wanted £2k! The clutch was changed and its a relatively simple job but once completed must be reprogrammed.

My ex Barber owns a Civic 06 i-shift. He has shipped it to Cyprus but still loving the car. He said it's still looks morden, and loves the paddle shifters. However his car is still relatively low mileage, 60k miles. Indeed my ex pupils brought an i-shift Jazz following their course. Again no breakdowns but their cars are really low mileage, 30/40k miles. So I suggest after test driving the Civic, try to find a low mileage one.

hemming

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 10:51:40 AM »
That seems helpful first hand info thanks

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 10:59:38 AM »
Yes, the i-Shift does seem to be a Marmite box.

Whatever you do, test drive it - properly.

Muggins here didn't and I knew within half a mile of the dealer forecourt I'd made a big mistake.

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 02:27:57 PM »
None of my business I know - I thought you were glad (your posting 8/8/20) to get your Jazz back.
Apart from possibly one exception the I-shift is thought inferior to CVT - I can't see that it would be transformed in a Civic
I was happy with the Jazz and still am, I am just looking for a change. I have driven an i-Shift Jazz for a few hours courtesy of a dealer and didn't like it in the short acquaintance I had, it was acceptable if you used the manual gear shift all the time but that means it's not an automatic doesn't it?
I don't think that the i-Shift had as long a life in the Civic as it did in the Jazz, I think the Civic changed to a normal auto in 2009 the Jazz in 2011.
Vic.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 02:41:48 PM »
Spot on Vic

If you can, go for a 2009+ torque converter, it's a very slick box.

You can tell them from afar as they changed the grill from Robocop to one with 2 black inserts.

Tags: