Author Topic: Google Maps & Waze on Apple Play  (Read 4467 times)

Nigel

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz ER
Google Maps & Waze on Apple Play
« on: October 15, 2021, 12:37:08 PM »
Google Maps and Waze work perfectly on my i-phone.  However, when I connect my i-phone to my 2021 Honda Jazz ER by bluetooth or cable and use Apple Play, the position of my car shown on the Jazz's screen for both Google Maps and Waze is slow to update even though the voice directions are spot on.  Has anyone else experienced this, if so what's the solution?

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: Google Maps & Waze on Apple Play
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 01:58:19 PM »
I've noticed a delay in screen position occasionally, buteven with the built-in sat nav though.

There must be areas with gps interference/poor signal causing the delay. At other times it is right up to date and quick updating.

Jazzist

• Approved Member
  • The Jazzdriving Dutchman
  • My Honda: Jazz Executive 2021
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 04:34:34 PM »
I'm using TomTom on Android Auto and it works fine. If you download the maps offline, you will not suffer from outages.
The Honda Forum unites the World.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 05:21:48 PM »
I'm using TomTom on Android Auto and it works fine. If you download the maps offline, you will not suffer from outages.

Which phone/OS version are you using please?

When I tried to get TomTom on Android Auto it said it wasn't compatible and only worked on Apple CarPlay.

TomTom on Apple CarPlay on partially works - you don't get the turn information below the speedometer that you do on Apple Maps or the built-in SatNav.

Jazzist

• Approved Member
  • The Jazzdriving Dutchman
  • My Honda: Jazz Executive 2021
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 06:16:37 PM »
I use a Samsung Galaxy A40 with Android version 11.
The Honda Forum unites the World.

Nigel

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 03:11:52 PM »
I have just tested this with my wife's android phone which works fine with the Jazz with no delay on the map.  So the problem is only with my i-phone7+.  Has anyone else with an i-phone noticed this?

Doric

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid SR
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 05:22:12 PM »
This happened to me yesterday,  as I was the passenger I used my wife's iphone whilst my iphone was linked to Carplay and our position on the  phone I was watching moved quicker and therefore more accurately than on the car display using Carplay
I will try downloading the maps first as suggested in the previous post and try again next time we are both in the car together.

Nigel

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 08:08:31 PM »
Doric - you started a thread earlier this year about your Jazz's clock becoming an hour out.  Did you ever resolve this?  My observation is that not only is the car icon slow on Google Maps & Waze played through Apple Car Play from my i-phone 7+, the i-phone also makes the Jazz's time flip from Western European Time to Central European Time which puts it an hour out when the i-phone is disconnected.  Have you also observed this?  Neither of these problems happen with my wife's android phone using Android Auto. 

Doric

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 10:50:29 PM »
Hi Nigel,
I don't recall the clock problem being associated with my phone as at that time in March we were not travelling far so wasn't using Google maps,  I took some advice from one of the other members and it corrected the clock and has been OK since.
I would have to go back to that post and read it again to jog my memory as I was trying a few things at the time,  I will have a look tomorrow and come back to you hopefully.

Doric

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 10:55:30 PM »
I didn't realise my post had been relisted, I've just read it again and I think I did what Bristol_Crosstar suggested. Hope that helps

Nigel

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 07:45:19 AM »
Thanks Doric. 

I have tried what Bristol_Crosstar suggested but it hasn't helped.  Regardless whether the Jazz'z auto time setting is on or off, the i-phone still flips the Jazz's time zone from WET to CET and puts it an hour out when I disconnect the i-phone.  Could it be that your i-phones are still doing this but because one of them is always connected to the Jazz through bluetooth you can't see it?  A simple test is temporarily to turn the i-phone's bluetooth off and only connect and disconnect to the Jazz through the data/charging cable.  When its disconnected is the time on the Jazz still correctly set to WET?

Nigel

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 03:58:28 PM »
An update. 

I have just discussed the matter for the first time with the technical guys at my local Honda dealer and they believe it is a known issue with i-phones and something to do with the settings.  They think there might be a Honda technical bulletin about it.  The Jazz (& i-phone) are booked in a week Thursday so they can look at it.  It isn't just the Waze & Google Maps car icon issue, no schematic of the next road junction with a countdown appears on the driver's screen behind the steering wheel and connecting the i-phone flips the Jazz's time zone from WET to CET which puts its clock an hour out when the phone is disconnected.

Nigel

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2021, 02:32:01 PM »
A further update:

My dealer's technical department saw my problem first hand today - flipping the time zone from WET to CET, sluggish updating of location on Google Maps & Waze and no junction display on the driver's screen behind the steering wheel.  They tested the time zone issue with 3 other i-phones and they all did the same as mine so its not just my i-phone or me!  The dealer has not seen this problem before and is reporting it to Honda.  I am expecting to hear more from them tomorrow or early next week.

Nigel

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2021, 04:17:10 PM »
Another update:

The dealer has just phoned me.  Honda Technical are aware of this problem which the dealer believes affects all Mk 4 Jazz/i-phone users.  They say that Apple are planning a software update to their phones which should resolve it.  What I don't understand is that there must be 1000s of i-phone users with the Mk 4 Jazz many of whom might dip into this forum but no one other than the original poster (OP) has reported a problem.  I wonder if this means they don't know they have a problem or don't care?  The dealer suggested this might be the case as Jazz owners tend to be older and less tech savvy than say BMW and Audi owners! 

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2021, 04:30:00 PM »
I'm fairly tech savvy and that's why I didn't want a BMW or Audi :D
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything