Author Topic: Steel wheels  (Read 1337 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Steel wheels
« on: October 07, 2021, 04:14:07 PM »
Can anyone suggest a dealer that supplies steel wheel and tyre packages, I am getting near needing four tyres for my car, a 2011 model, and am thinking of fitting 15" wheels instead of the standard 16" wheels. What 15" tyres would it need?

Vic.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Re: Steel wheels
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 04:23:47 PM »
What profile are your 16 in tyres?

I would suggest if your going to a 15in,you will need a higher profile tyre to keep the speedo reading ok,

Most large tyre dealers should be able to get wheels

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 04:28:35 PM »
Pretty sure I got my wheel/tyre set from Oponeo, when I switched the Jazz from Alloys due to corrosion causing constant air pressure leakage. Still got the old Alloys if anyone wants them! For the 2005SE I ordered Alcar KFZ 7805 x 4.

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 06:32:59 PM »
From another thread on here I now know that the equivalent 15" size is 175/65/15 to give you the same rolling radius.
The aim is to improve the ride.

Vic.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 06:48:01 PM »
Years ago, when I had a KIA, I used Oponeo for this.  After I placed my order, someone from Oponeo in Poland rang me to check the sizes etc.  Wheels and tyres arrived very quickly from Germany.

More recently, when I got my Jazz, which had no spare, I used Oponeo again to get a 15 inch steel wheel and corresponding tyre for use as a spare.  (Although the car has 16 inch alloy wheels, the rolling circumference of the tyre on the 15 inch wheel is the same.  Alloys are porous, steel wheels aren't, so if the spare is needed, it is less likely to need inflation and when I have had a puncture I only use the spare until the puncture is repaired or a new tyre fitted to the 16 inch alloy wheel.)

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 06:55:23 PM »
Sorry another question, can you use the bolts that are used to secure the alloy wheels for the steel wheels?

Vic.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 06:57:58 PM »
I would add that Oponeo did not fit the tyres to the wheels.  I got Kwik fit to do that.

With both the KIA and my Jazz, the same bolts were used.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 07:02:14 PM »
Sorry another question, can you use the bolts that are used to secure the alloy wheels for the steel wheels?

Vic.

I do on the Civic, same nut for steel ( with winter tyres ) and original Honda alloys with summer tyres,  on the Jazz I got RIAL 15" alloys to replace the original 16" ( better ride, cheaper tyres and larger choice of tyres )  and they had to have a set of new nuts with a 60degree taper ( nuts were supplied with new alloys ) and I use the original Honda nuts with the steel wheels.  Honda use a spherical seat ( ball seat ) on their wheels.  I got the steel wheels from mytyres and specified they were for Honda - don't know if this ensured they had the correct seat for the OEM Honda nuts.

You really need to try the nut profile into the steel wheels,  a good way is to coat the end of nut with permanent marker pen and when dry put the nut into the seat on the wheel and rotate it,  if only a thin ring of permanent pen ink is wiped off then maybe they are not compatible.

There was plenty of thread depth in the Honda 'acorn' ( closed end ) nuts to accommodate the thinner steel wheels ( steel are thinner than alloys ) - I measured it before even trying to fit the nuts,  The Honda  nuts are diameter 12mm x 1.5mm pitch ( metric fine, roughly equivalent to UNF imperial thread ).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 08:53:48 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 09:41:42 AM »
We goto mytyres.co.uk they have section for steel wheels. If you use Quidco often have. Discount.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 10:15:35 AM »

Vic.
You can Vik. I have a full size steel spare, and the alloy wheel bolts secure it perfectly. No need for different nuts.

The 175 tyre size is correct. I would be very tempted to keep and eye on ebay for a set of 15" Honda Jazz alloys, and get them fitted with new tyres when they arrive. I doubt they would cost more than steels, and would make you car look more standard.

I purchased my steel spare from Ebay, and paid £50 ish with a nearly new tyre.

If you do buy new tyres, check promotions with dealers. I recently paid just £113 fitted for 2x MICHELIN ENERGY SAVER+ 175/65 R15 84H at ATS. Bargain.  :D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 03:14:57 PM »

Vic.
You can Vik. I have a full size steel spare, and the alloy wheel bolts secure it perfectly. No need for different nuts.

As my previous post, there are several different style of nut seating around, the main ones are spherical and 60degree taper.  The nut will tighten even in the 'wrong' seat,  but will not be safe.  Best to check with the marker pen and seating test. Unless the steel wheel(s) were ordered for a Honda and the correct seating ( spherical ) was supplied it is best to check.  A wheel off ebay may be the correct PCD, offset etc, but a lottery if you get the correct seating as most cars use 60deg taper.

If you have a spherical and 60 degree taper wheel nut to compare the difference in seat is obvious, not so easy to tell through when looking at the seat in the wheel.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 03:27:01 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything