Author Topic: Tyre pressure warning light  (Read 2429 times)

Jazzygirl80

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz ES 1.3
Tyre pressure warning light
« on: October 07, 2021, 11:46:06 AM »
Hello fellow jazzers,

I am not very knowledgeable about cars but my tyre warning pressure light came on over the weekend. I have checked the psi of all tyres, front right was a little low but otherwise all ok. Checked again during the week, pressure fine so no slow leak anywhere.
The light still remains on. I have tried driving around to see if it re-sets but that won’t work. I know on some other models you can recalibrate to re-set the light - is there a way to do this on the mk 2 jazz? I can’t find any solution at all.
Thanks for any advice anyone can give me

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Re: Tyre pressure warning light
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 11:53:09 AM »
When my TP light comes on,it is about 30% lower than preferred,

Top up the tyres, it should go out

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Jazzygirl80

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 12:16:34 PM »
Tyres all at correct psi - light still not going out

Does anyone know how to recalibrate?

Thanks

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 02:39:34 PM »
The Mk2 I had didn't have this facility but, if you have the owner's manual there should be a section in there. If you don't have the manual, look it up on Google - there are quite a few videos there (mostly You Tube) with step by step instructions for a whole range of Hondas.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 03:06:08 PM »
The Mk2 I had didn't have this facility but, if you have the owner's manual there should be a section in there. If you don't have the manual, look it up on Google - there are quite a few videos there (mostly You Tube) with step by step instructions for a whole range of Hondas.
Neither has mine  (2014  ES+)
From a quick  reading of some old posts they just seem to have been fitted from 2015 but perhaps some late 2014.
Here is a link to an old thread which may help or further confuse .
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=6528.0
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=13258.msg101301#msg101301

Edit added second link.
To op.
There are loads more links
Try searching the whole site for tpms (tyre pressure monitoring system).
Best of luck.
Seems to be a bit of a PITA.
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?action=search2

« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 03:30:12 PM by JimSh »

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 03:30:52 PM »
Only 2015 YM of Mk2 Jazz has Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, it is a direct system with pressure sensors in each wheel in the form of the valve. There is no reset procedure required when pressures are change, just having the pressure correct and driving a short distance will remove any warning.

If there is a problem with the system it will display the tyre pressure warning with a line through it, if this is the case then you would need to visit a dealer to have the trouble codes checked to determine what the issue is. e.g. sensor failure etc.

Are you using an accurate pressure gauge? Do your pressures match what is on the pressure label on the door shut?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 03:36:12 PM »
I think the 2015 had the TPMS and was fitted with pressure sensors,  the MK2 models before that did not have it.  After 2015 the system went to ABS based system,  same as 8th Gen Civic had for many years. Could be  faulty pressure sensor or battery in sensor FUBAR.

https://tpmswarehouse.co.uk/product/honda-jazz-2014-replacement-tpms-sensor/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jazzygirl80

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 03:51:08 PM »
Thank you for all your replies. I will check all the links provided.

My tyre pump is not a digital one so may have to invest in a new one. I have been inflating to the psi provide on the car door. My Jazz is a 2015 one

Jazzygirl80

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 04:48:45 PM »
I have borrowed a neighbour’s digital inflation thing and all the tyre pressures are fine so I am guessing it must be a faulty sensor. I’m tempted to just leave it now as there is nothing wrong with the tyres just this annoying warning light that won’t go out

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 05:47:23 PM »
I think you need to drive at a decent speed on 'fast' road for 20 minutes or so for the rest to happen, so the system has time to calibrate. At least that was what my HRV had to do.

If you actually have tyre pressure monitoring valves, the reset should be pretty much instant. In this case, if the light won't go out, then you may have a faulty valve or the battery has expired. Good luck figuring out which one it is though.

On my Toyota, they wanted over £200 for a replacement valve. My local tyre shop replaced with a compatible version for a fraction of that. They may also have a way of figuring out which one is faulty.

As far as I know, if the fault light is on your car will not pass the MOT.

guest4871

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 06:40:11 PM »
NB I think the battery referred to above is inside the valve? (not the main car battery).

Jazzygirl80

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 08:04:04 PM »
Ah I see, so will have to get it fixed before the mot. I might take it to the garage and see if they can work out if it’s a faulty valve/battery. I don’t like this tyre system prefer the old fashioned way of checking tyres!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 09:56:28 PM »
It appears that the sensor batteries last for 5 years or thereabouts https://www.tirereview.com/changing-tpms-sensor-batteries/ . KwikFit should know what to do to fix the problem https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tpms .

Fortunately for recent Jazz owners, Honda switched from direct monitoring of pressure to indirect monitoring by comparing wheel rotation data provided by the anti-lock braking system.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything