Author Topic: UV protection for the driver?  (Read 966 times)

JamtartJazzman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz XE Navi
UV protection for the driver?
« on: September 29, 2021, 03:30:02 PM »
Good day all

Can anyone comment on the level of UV protection afforded to the driver from an untinted driver's windscreen on a modern-ish (2016) Jazz?

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: UV protection for the driver?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 03:54:40 PM »
Good day all

Can anyone comment on the level of UV protection afforded to the driver from an untinted driver's windscreen on a modern-ish (2016) Jazz?
UV protection in Embra?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 04:06:50 PM »
Sometimes glass is treated to protect against UVA. For example, most sunglasses made from glass are coated so they block both UVA and UVB. The laminated glass of automobile windshields offers some (not total) protection against UVA. Automotive glass used for side and rear windows ordinarily does not protect against UVA exposure

Glass that is transparent to visible light absorbs nearly all UVB. This is the wavelength range that can cause a sunburn, so it's true you can't get a sunburn through glass.

However, UVA is much closer to the visible spectrum than UVB. About 75% of UVA passes through ordinary glass.

Let's be careful out there !

JamtartJazzman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz XE Navi
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 01:16:00 PM »
Good day all

UV protection in Embra?

Yep, even in these northern latitudes there's a big yeller thing in the sky. Even when it's behind the clouds it's still there!  8)

Tags:

anything