Author Topic: Signalling  (Read 3083 times)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Signalling
« on: September 11, 2021, 10:05:30 AM »
... That's why I qualified why I hadn't indicated, no one there to see it. I reckon I'm very observant when driving and if there is no one else around, including no pedestrians at junctions, I don't.
Please signal, always.
Vehicles not signalling drives me crazy. Trouble is, if drivers do not signal sometimes, they tend to stop signalling altogether. When I'm a pedestrian I have to take my life in my hands when crossing a road near a roundabout exit.
The driver can never be really sure whether someone else needs to know their intention. For instance, a car obscured by foliage is just about to exit a house drive. A pedestrian needs to know if it's safe to push their childs buggy across the road.
I was taught to always signal my intentions; I don't understand why drivers are now told to not bother to signal if it appears to be safe.
Neil Ives

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Signalling
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 10:11:47 AM »
I own a classic motorcycle that doesn't have indicators. When riding the motorbike I use hand signals, (yes, they are still in the UK Highway Code). If I can manage to control my motorcycle while sticking my hand out in the fresh air, I reckon drivers should be able to tweak that little plastic lever beside the steering wheel.

Before I retired I rode my bicycle to work; I needed to use hand signals to carry out right turns.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 10:19:08 AM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 10:15:23 AM »
My previous car was a BMW. When I bought it I made sure it was one of the rare ones that had the indicator pack fitted.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 10:17:29 AM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 10:57:34 AM »
It is annoying. At the end of the day it’s just laziness and sheer contempt of other drivers and pedestrians. Not signalling when leaving a roundabout is just stupid.

At least you modified your BMW  ;D it’s a shame it isn’t compulsory!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 12:11:10 PM »
I always indicate when others are around, including pedestrians as they need to know if you're turning into a side road they want to cross.

My previous comment concerned changing lanes, say a parked vehicle, or into another road when I'm on my own, nobody else around. Who am I telling ?

Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 01:13:22 PM »
I always indicate when others are around, including pedestrians as they need to know if you're turning into a side road they want to cross.

My previous comment concerned changing lanes, say a parked vehicle, or into another road when I'm on my own, nobody else around. Who am I telling ?
With me, it's habit.

You cannot guarantee that no one needs to know your intention.

Where's the hardship?

And of course the cars lane assist system needs you to indicate before you cross a lane marking
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 03:28:16 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 05:32:52 PM »
When I did my IAM Advanced Driving Test, the advice was that you should signal when it would benefit another road user. The point was, of course, that you needed to be observant about other road users. As soon as anyone starts doing things by rote (eg "I always signal"), then that's habit rather than observing and responding to the situation around you.

That advice does conflict with modern lane keeping systems which require a signal when changing lanes even if one isn't necessary.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 06:26:14 PM by ColinB »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 05:53:55 PM »
Exactly what my IAM tutor told me in 1983.

That short series of assessments and advice by the tutor prior to a successful test was an eye opener. So many tricks of the trade to get to your destination safely and with minimum hassle.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 05:55:30 PM by Kremmen »

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 10:14:30 PM »
When I did my IAM Advanced Driving Test, the advice was that you should signal when it would benefit another road user.
But that's rubbish. What about pedestrians and other road users who we may not have yet seen?
The IAM advice would allow the driver to leave a roundabout without signalling if no one was following. Flippin stupid IMO.  :P
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 04:52:05 AM »
If anyone wants to indicate at every junction or lane change, etc, then that is their choice, they are not wrong and should not be criticised.

On the above about roundabouts, it's not only following vehicles. If I see any vehicles either in front, behind, or any pedestrians who may need to know my intended roundabout exit then I will always indicate.

For me though, if I don't see any other vehicles at any of the roundabout entry or exit points or pedestrians then I don't indicate, no point, no one to tell.

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2021, 07:03:17 AM »
When I did my IAM Advanced Driving Test, the advice was that you should signal when it would benefit another road user.
But that's rubbish. What about pedestrians and other road users who we may not have yet seen?
The IAM advice would allow the driver to leave a roundabout without signalling if no one was following. Flippin stupid IMO.  :P

You are of course entitled to your opinion. But you will be contradicting the position of the IAM and the source of its advice, ie very skilled and experienced police drivers. This is a useful piece of explanation:
https://www.iam-bristol.org.uk/index.php/articles/associate-s-guide/56-signalling
As for “... other road users who we may not have yet seen...”, I think you’ve missed the point. The observant and skilled driver will have seen and assessed hazards, and if there is any doubt (eg view obscured) will be acting accordingly.

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2021, 10:12:18 AM »
That article works for my argument as well; it acknowledges that you may not see someone who needs to know your intention.

The article refers to other road users; not pedestrians.

What is the problem with letting the world know what my intentions are before I carry out my manoeuvre?
Neil Ives

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2021, 10:16:00 AM »

Pedestrians are road users too!

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2021, 10:16:52 AM »
As I said before; if we tell drivers that they don't always need to signal, they tend to stop signalling alltogether and that gives rise to the situation today in the UK where many drivers do not signal at all!
Neil Ives

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2021, 10:17:59 AM »

Pedestrians ARE road users.

What is the problem with letting the world know what my intentions are before I carry out my manoeuvre?

As has been said a couple of times now, signalling every time suggests it is happening by habit rather than by being aware of what's going on around you. It's not the unnecessary signalling that's the problem, it's what that says about attention to the road.

Tags:

anything