Author Topic: Catalytic converter theft likelihood  (Read 3195 times)

Brentee

• Registered Member
Catalytic converter theft likelihood
« on: August 07, 2021, 04:59:32 PM »
Hey there, I was really interesting in buying a 2010 1.4 i-VTEC Si that I found, but i've become disheartened after hearing about how common the catalytic converter theft is.
Is the theft common on that version at all? Or is it only older versions and certain model types.
I've heard that the 2015 onwards are very hard to steal, sorry if this is obvious, i'm having difficulty finding specific details on it all.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Catalytic converter theft likelihood
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 05:01:55 PM »
I'm sure you are fine with a 2010, I think it's out of sight on this model. It seems mainly limited to the 2002-2008 model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brentee

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
Re: Catalytic converter theft likelihood
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 05:06:46 PM »
Okay that's great thanks.

JJazz

• Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 10:20:54 AM »
I just read this -

Honda, for example, has fitted Accord and Jazz models from 2008 onwards with a tray under the car to make it harder for thieves to get at the catalytic converter. In models from 2015 onwards, the catalytic converter has been placed within the engine bay, so a thief would need to disassemble the car to get at it.

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 03:43:43 PM »
This was my concern when buying a Jazz as there had been a theft from the staff car park where I had worked.  Two scroats were seen on CCTV and a staff member coming back from lunch approached and asked what the problem was? They replied "It's O.K. mate, we've fixed it now".

They were in and out in minutes. All in daylight in the clear sight of three CCTV cameras.  Don't know the outcome though as I retired just after.

With this on my mind I bought an anti-theft under-shield a couple of weeks ago but not fitted yet. Now looks as if it is surplus to requirements (MY 2010) but at least I can sleep soundly now.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 04:11:54 PM »
I was planning to fit a CAT protector ( from the CAT protection charity LOL ) on my wife's MK2,  however after doing a survey of the the car, if you open the bonnet  and shine a torch behind engine the CAT can be seen mounted vertically behind the engine ( very close coupled onto exhaust manifold ).  After 2002 to 2008 Honda Jazz models went for 'close coupled CAT ( they heat up and start worring quicker ) - although I remember my 1996 Civic also had the CAT mounted straight behind the radiator and impossible to get to without opening the bonnet, and even then the CAT was bolted straight to exhaust manifold flange and had a great big heatshield blocking access to any of the pipes or joints.   I think maybe Honda concentrated too much on getting bonnet stickout / car length as short as possible, with max interior space  on 2002 - 2008 model and moved the CAT to below the car.

This was my concern when buying a Jazz as there had been a theft from the staff car park where I had worked.  Two scroats were seen on CCTV and a staff member coming back from lunch approached and asked what the problem was? They replied "It's O.K. mate, we've fixed it now".

They were in and out in minutes. All in daylight in the clear sight of three CCTV cameras.  Don't know the outcome though as I retired just after.

With this on my mind I bought an anti-theft under-shield a couple of weeks ago but not fitted yet. Now looks as if it is surplus to requirements (MY 2010) but at least I can sleep soundly now.

If you are blatant enough you can get away with anything,  I have seen car alarms going off on carparks and the bonnet open with a couple of blokes messing, nobody approached them, probably thought they had a fault on the alarm,    PS they were not wearing a jumper with 'car thief' on it....
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 04:32:31 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 12:34:32 PM »
......I think maybe Honda concentrated too much on getting bonnet stickout / car length as short as possible, with max interior space  on 2002 - 2008 model and moved the CAT to below the car. .....
Back in the dim and distant (last century) in car design/devt we genuinely never even considered people jacking the car up and cutting catalysts off the exhaust. Back then most cars had fairly large underfloor cats with relatively high precious metal loading and maybe a small metallic starter cat in the downpipe, basically down to the volumes required with the technology available then to clean up the muck.
Evolution of regs and standards, plus the tech to make raw emissions cleaner and durable close coupled downpipe cats (as Culzean says) for faster start-up etc. more or less removed the large underfloor items.

Having to combat the crims is just a reflection of more modern society I'm afraid. Consider the weaknesses of things like keyless entry/starting with the crims using relay boxes. You need to employ crooks to advise on how to make thinks scum-proof.
I suspect someone will come up with a way to steal the charge from EVs or charge stations, even if they don't simply have away with the cables.

Tags: