Author Topic: Mk4 Press Release with videos and more pictures than in magazines  (Read 10211 times)

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Mk4 Press Release with videos and more pictures than in magazines
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 09:08:14 AM »
The Crosstar front looks better than the standard Jazz
I think that is because it looks like the Jazz we are used to.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 09:15:56 AM »
It will be interesting to learn in due course how the fuel efficiency and emissions compare with the current model.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 11:49:38 AM »
Lets have a bet on the UK retail £27k min

guest4871

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 12:03:29 PM »

Perhaps that's why they are forecasting a slight dip in Jazz sales on launch?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »
I cannot see it being dearer than the Honda e.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 03:16:51 PM »
It's interesting to think about the implications of the things Honda are not saying in the press release. They are trumpeting that all future Jazz will be hybrid, but not pointing out that this means they will all be automatics of some sort (presumably CVTs). What's more they will be rolling out that technology across the rest of their model range over the next few years. So not only will there be no such thing as a manual box Jazz soon, there'll also be no such thing as a manual Honda.

Some may say "about time" (where are you, Andruec !) but I quite like a manual gearchange (not least because it's cheaper) and it would be nice to have that choice.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 03:41:34 PM »

The Honda hybrids will use intelligent Multi-Mode Drive (i-MMD), instead of CVT transmission. Once we go all electric we won't need gearboxes anyway. They are "old world" technology!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 04:29:37 PM »
The Honda hybrids will use intelligent Multi-Mode Drive (i-MMD), instead of CVT transmission. Once we go all electric we won't need gearboxes anyway. They are "old world" technology!
The terminology isn’t the point here: whatever it’s called and however it works, it’ll look like an auto to the driver because he won’t have a gear stick. So my point stands, that the days of the manual gearchange are numbered. Even if you prefer to have a manual box, you can’t.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 04:42:45 PM »
I didn't dispute it being an automatic, just not a CVT. I tried the CVT and hated it, but I have loved the non CVT autos I have owned for 25 years before the Jazz.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 05:12:22 PM »
My father, 72 years, just bought a new car; we visited together some dealers, and his request was "manual gearbox!!!" I've tried to suggest an automatic transmission, cvt, electric or epiciclic I don't care, but I couldn't move him from 3, the number of pedals. So I understand some posts...
I agree with colin,  I also think that manual gearbox will slowly disappear; this is not a problem form me, it's not so important for me to have 3 pedals, the two on the right are the most important..  Simply, automatic transmissions  are easier to use, are more confortable, are faster in common usage, mileage and reliability are no more a problem;  so I understand why customers in europe are moving to manual gearbox to automatic units...
Just a mechanic tip: people use to call CVT some automatic transmission with a belt and one or two variable pulleys. To be precise, a belt and a pulley is only one of the way to obtain a Continuosly Variable Transmission, so we have to call CVT also hydraulic transmissions (tractors, scrapers,  the Honda DN01 ...) and electric trasmissions (locomotives, buses and hybrid cars as Toyotas and the I-MMD). So the i-MMD is a CVT, without belts and pulleys but still capable of continuosly changing the transmission ratio between the petrol engine and wheels. And, as we know, also capable to  mechanically join  petrol engine and wheels at cruising speed, using a clutch to bypass the electric system.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 05:20:10 PM »
As I understand it, in the I-MMD system, when the engine is in generating mode and not connected to the transmission, there is no meaniningful transmission ratio, so it can hardly be called continuously variable.  But perhaps this is merely a semantic point!

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 06:11:08 PM »
Common people use to consider a transmission  "something between engine and wheels with gears, chains, belts and shafts", something of mechanical I mean. This is not true, because mechanical transmission are only one of the branch of power transmissions..
To be precise, a transmission is "something between engine and wheels whith the purpose of transferring power". How power is transferred does not change its name, so we do not care if power follows wires or shafts or pipes.
Transmission ratio is calculated comparing rpms between engine and wheels, between "power inlet and power outlet": if it changes continuosly, we have a CVT, even if there are no shafts. This: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mario_Hirz/post/can_any_one_send_me_the_ppt_or_material_to_design_of_automated_gearshift_for_two_wheeler/attachment/59d64495c49f478072ead545/AS%3A273817732091906%401442294642801/download/84368.pdf is a CVT, hydraulic.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 06:13:13 PM by jazzaro »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 07:08:20 PM »

Common people

Woooohooooo. - how do you define common people ? If it is someone who drives a car without knowing how it functions they are by far the majority.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 07:15:33 PM »
A transmission is the device that conveys the power from where it is generated to where it is used. A Constantly Variable Transmission has a continuous range of effective ratios. An electric drive does not. It has a single ratio (or in the case of a bypass clutch, two fixed ratios).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

Tags:

anything