Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 771330 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1770 on: December 11, 2020, 09:51:40 AM »
More bad news for Wales.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/dec/11/car-battery-firm-scraps-plan-to-build-uks-first-gigafactory-in-wales

See also
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/20/uk-first-car-battery-gigafactory-amte-power-britishvolt
For background

Wales is a devolved government,  investors may not feel money well spent if they want to be independent soon - far safer to build in England.  Same for Scotland,  they will probably miss out on similar investment because of all the machinations of the SNP.. Next submarine base will be in Portsmouth, next navy ships built in Tyneside or Portsmouth as well, I believe the EU call it 'cherry picking' when you want your cake and eat it' - investors need certainty when they are spending loadsa' money.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #1771 on: December 11, 2020, 10:00:05 AM »
Just watched episode 3 of an interesting programme on BBC Alba called An Lan (Tide) about the tide, and those who earn their living working with it. It is narrated in Gaelic with English subtitles, but worth a watch.

There's a bit about the Surf & Turf operation in Orkney at about 46 minutes in, and tidal energy in general.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00052k0/an-lantide-series-1-3-a-beartachadh-an-lainharnessing-the-tide

What happened to the project to harness the massive tidal energy of the Bristol channel?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #1772 on: December 11, 2020, 11:00:58 AM »
What happened to the project to harness the massive tidal energy of the Bristol channel?

Plenty of info available if you search for it, eg here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_Barrage

Looks like the benefits simply don't outweigh the problems and disbenefits. Latest full-stop seems to be:
"However the Hafren Power plan collapsed after it was rejected by three independent committees of MPs and by the Government. On 14 January 2014 it was announced that the Chairman and Chief Executive of Hafren Power had resigned, putting an end to the Severn Barrage project."

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #1773 on: December 11, 2020, 11:46:50 AM »

Wales is a devolved government,  investors may not feel money well spent if they want to be independent soon - far safer to build in England.  Same for Scotland,  they will probably miss out on similar investment because of all the machinations of the SNP.
If Scotland and Wales are ignored in parliament and receive no investment, it is only going to increase the desire for independence.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1774 on: December 12, 2020, 10:53:23 AM »

Wales is a devolved government,  investors may not feel money well spent if they want to be independent soon - far safer to build in England.  Same for Scotland,  they will probably miss out on similar investment because of all the machinations of the SNP.
If Scotland and Wales are ignored in parliament and receive no investment, it is only going to increase the desire for independence.

Next indyref should include English voters,  then Scotland would get a massive majority to leave the Westminster they hate and they would be controlled by Brussels .. as a really small fish in a big pond - and a hard border at Carlisle  -  Out of the frying pan into the fire springs to mind.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 10:55:34 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #1775 on: December 12, 2020, 12:38:43 PM »

Next indyref should include English voters,  then Scotland would get a massive majority to leave the Westminster they hate and they would be controlled by Brussels .. as a really small fish in a big pond - and a hard border at Carlisle  -  Out of the frying pan into the fire springs to mind.
Sorry.
English (and some Scottish) voters have done enough harm already.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #1776 on: December 12, 2020, 03:58:57 PM »
Anyway back on topic.
Wind and solar are intermittent and need to be backed up or, even better, stored for when input is insufficient.
Finding a suitable storage medium is now the big problem.
Sorry about going off topic.

Here are a few more ideas in this series of videos.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=The+Future+Of+Energy+Storage+Beyond+Lithium+Ion&docid=608050215758726709&mid=FE0C2805990216694F1EFE0C2805990216694F1E&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Hydrogen as a storage medium.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/in-depth-qa-does-the-world-need-hydrogen-to-solve-climate-change?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Latest edit added hydrogen link.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 08:32:49 AM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1777 on: December 16, 2020, 07:05:55 AM »
Volkswagen Zwickau car plant, which is now building EVs only, is powered solely by Wind, Solar and massive battery storage. It runs 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year. If they can do it, so can the rest of us.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1778 on: December 16, 2020, 08:58:57 AM »
Volkswagen Zwickau car plant, which is now building EVs only, is powered solely by Wind, Solar and massive battery storage. It runs 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year. If they can do it, so can the rest of us.

Powering one factory for propaganda purposes ( look how green we are etc.....) and powering a whole country that needs 45GW+ without even charging BEV are two different things...

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #1779 on: December 16, 2020, 11:36:28 AM »

Powering one factory for propaganda purposes ( look how green we are etc.....) and powering a whole country that needs 45GW+ without even charging BEV are two different things...

It is am impressive call to arms though. We think of supplying renewable energy on a National scale and maybe we should think about it more locally.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #1780 on: December 16, 2020, 11:44:22 AM »

Interesting, that is the plant that used to make the Trabant.  :) Look how quickly things change, from 2 stoke Trabbi to ID4 EV.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1782 on: December 18, 2020, 07:04:38 PM »
Interesting data I came across today.

Scotland generated enough electricity from renewable sources last year (2019 - my brackets) to meet the equivalent of 90.1% of its total electricity consumption, according to latest figures.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #1783 on: December 22, 2020, 12:25:16 PM »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1784 on: December 22, 2020, 12:42:22 PM »
The exciting bit in that link is:
Central to Apple’s strategy is a new battery design that could “radically” reduce the cost of batteries and increase the vehicle’s range, according to a third person who has seen Apple’s battery design.

Tags:

anything