Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 771273 times)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2790 on: December 14, 2023, 10:55:50 AM »
I think Tesla will change the name. "Autopilot" will be now "You're still the pilot!!!"
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2791 on: December 14, 2023, 11:22:38 AM »
Not only the US but similar in China :

Tesla has been forced to issue an urgent software update on almost every car it has sold in China over fears they could accelerate out of drivers’ control and cause road accidents.

Around 1.1m affected cars, all of which were built at Tesla’s Shanghai factory, have a problem which makes speeds unpredictable when drivers are trying to slow down, Chinese regulators said.

An online software update from Tesla will be used to correct the flaw, which China’s State Administration for Market Regulation described as a problem with “the factory default state of the vehicle regenerative braking strategy”.

The issue affects Tesla Model S, Model X and Model Y vehicles built at the Shanghai plant between January 2019 and April this year.
Let's be careful out there !

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2792 on: December 14, 2023, 01:15:57 PM »
Individual buyers no longer interested, EV sales now primary businesses

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2793 on: December 15, 2023, 12:05:00 PM »

This fits with what I see in my neighbourhood. The increase in BEVs is nothing short of dramatic. People are voting with their feet away from pure ICE vehicles and car industry has accepted that the future is EV with hybrids being a bridge for many people.

The postponement of the ICE ban (on new cars) back to 2035 will have little impact. It will be increasingly. difficult to actually source a new purely ICE vehicle.

There are still huge problems and we will see ICE cars on the roads for many years yet but they are on a steep downward trajectory.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2794 on: December 15, 2023, 08:59:38 PM »
Tax incentives always excite the bean counters. However, they might get less excited should they discover that employees are sitting in queues at charging stations when they should be on the move to the next job. I recall that a few years back the tax benefit helped sales of PHEVs which never got charged )so no benefit to the environment). They can't do the same with battery-only vehicles.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2795 on: December 16, 2023, 04:31:11 AM »
I'm seeing a lot of all electric DPD vans

I wonder if they can last all day without a top-up charge. These delivery drivers do quite a few miles.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2796 on: December 18, 2023, 05:13:45 PM »

I wonder if they can last all day without a top-up charge. These delivery drivers do quite a few miles.
I would expect that a van based in a larger town or city would do no more than 100 miles per day, and probably less, with a lot of stopping and starting. An ideal EV application. Rural deliveries are another matter.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

CB72

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #2797 on: December 18, 2023, 06:06:56 PM »
Honda will introduce 30 new EVs globally by 2030 with a global sales volume of 2 million units
Honda will present the world premiere of its new EV series for global markets as a part of its exhibit at CES 2024, which will be held January 9-12, 2024 in Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-corporate/releases/honda-to-debut-all-new-global-ev-series-at-ces-2024

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2798 on: December 22, 2023, 02:24:02 PM »
I would expect that a van based in a larger town or city would do no more than 100 miles per day, and probably less, with a lot of stopping and starting. An ideal EV application. Rural deliveries are another matter.
When I was delivering to garages in Dundee and all around Fife for both Arnold Clark and later TMS I was doing only 100 miles a day.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2799 on: December 22, 2023, 03:08:41 PM »
Thrilling new film on Netflix called 'Leave the World Behind' has an amusing role for the Tesla in the middle third.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2800 on: December 22, 2023, 03:52:06 PM »

Just about all the big delivery companies round here are now using electric vans (and the self-employed singletons are now using estate cars). I suspect the Clean Air Zone, with it's £9/day charge for diesel vans (private cars are exempt), has something to do with that.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2801 on: December 22, 2023, 05:52:04 PM »

Yes - I agree. Warrington Bus Company has just ordered a new fleet of Electric Buses to a chorus of comments about them going flat but I just did a back of the envelope calculation about their Number 3 service which I occasionally use if alcohol is to be taken. The trip from the depot to the end point is about 3 miles. A 100 mile range bus could do nearly 17 return trips.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2802 on: December 23, 2023, 03:47:20 AM »
A typical London Bus does far more than 100 miles a day

Taking one route I drove, Uxbridge to Shepherds Bush, 15 miles, 1 hour, single journey

Apart from spreadover buses they were out there from about 06:00 to midnight, changing drivers

The scheduling dept had to be careful that the first buses out weren't the last ones in (05:00 to 01:00) as they may have run out of diesel

Taking off stand time that could be 250 to 270 miles a day

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2803 on: December 24, 2023, 12:49:31 PM »
Yes - the example I gave was, perhaps, not representative of all bus routes. My understanding is that diesel buses and hybrids will work alongside the pure electric ones for the foreseeable future. Not sure what the range of the new EV buses is.

CB72

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #2804 on: December 26, 2023, 09:23:00 AM »
. Not sure what the range of the new EV buses is.

The range of an electric London bus is  said to be 190miles by the manufacturer BYD.

Tags:

anything