Author Topic: Head lamps blew shortly after getting them replaced  (Read 1295 times)

David_B

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1st Gen
Head lamps blew shortly after getting them replaced
« on: May 13, 2020, 04:22:09 PM »
Hi guys, I recently got my bulbs replaced after a minor accident blew one of the lights, and one of the bulbs blew straight away after that. A few weeks later the other bulb blew.

I have lost both my fog lights and main headlights, but still have the side lights.

Are the fog lights and normal headlights from the same bulb?

Is there anything such as the wiring or anything else that could have blown the bulb?

Also, is it possible a neighbour could have intentionally damaged my bulbs somehow? Like if they were angry over parking spaces or something. Like how neighbours could damage your tyres, are headlights something that are easily vandalised on a locked car on a jazz? Is it possible the garage did a poor job somehow or used faulty light bulbs?

I am trying to understand what has happened here so any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Trying to

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Head lamps blew shortly after getting them replaced
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 06:36:57 PM »
I have lost both my fog lights and main headlights, but still have the side lights. Do you mean main beam and dipped beam? Fog lights are a separate lamp mounted low on the bumper.
Main and dip beam use different filaments in the same bulb.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 08:29:54 AM »
I can't see any way to deliberately cause a bulb to fail. It does feel like there must be an underlying cause for so many bulbs to go. Possible causes to look for? Vibration, are the headlights secure and the bulbs tight in their  fittings. Over voltage, if you've got a meter could be worth taking a look. Did the lights seem extra bright before they went? Charging systems are complex so it may be tricky to reproduce a fault. As for the wiring I've a dim recollection a bad earth connection could cause problems. Perhaps someone else knows better.
The only other thing which occurs to me is that if all the bulbs came from the same batch could that have been faulty, or dropped at some point and the filaments damaged.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 08:57:03 AM »
I could understand if the fuses supplying the bulbs blew ( even then hard to figure because each headlight goes through a different fuse so you don't lose both if a fuse blows ),  but not the bulbs themselves.

If it is overvoltage you should see it with a meter across battery,  and steam may be coming out of battery.  LED bulbs normally cover 9 to 32 volts as they are current not voltage driven.

This thread ( https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8738.msg75411#msg75411 ) may fix your problem - people have changed sidelights,  fog and headlight bulbs to LED ( and on MK1 Jazz due to PITA replacing headlight bulbs and sidelights it is worth doing - would have saved me some money in the swearbox )
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

David_B

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1st Gen
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 03:42:24 PM »
I had to get my headlights replaced before, and turns out they didn't tighten the connection properly so it slipped back out again. Went to a dodgey garage. Its all done now

Tags:

anything